Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Broad beans

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It always amazes me why runner beans are so expensive yesterday the market stall in BH they were £2 a pound but when I had my plot used to give them to family and neighbours by the carrier bag full as we had so many for a few months. Must look for a pick your own in the area, any ideas where?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
L
How bloody dare you :lolol:

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?319433-Will-hipsters-save-the-world&highlight=hipster :D

Pickling any vegetable that you have an over supply of is worth it. I love making red onion chutney. Having just got some chickens I think I'll try pickled eggs soon. Shit, now I really sound like a Hipster ..... or Tom Good.

Hmm you are certainly not too keen on them, Unless you're full of self loathing!
Have bottled strawberries, black currants, gooseberries this week. Would like to make a home grown picalilli but all the veg is fresh at different times. May have to freeze the earlier stuff for that.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Broad bean crop was fine this year, but I couldn't get the runner beans to germinate let alone produce anything. Maybe tried when it was too wet and cold as all the seeds rotted away to nothing.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It always amazes me why runner beans are so expensive yesterday the market stall in BH they were £2 a pound but when I had my plot used to give them to family and neighbours by the carrier bag full as we had so many for a few months. Must look for a pick your own in the area, any ideas where?

Someone once told me that commercial grown Runners are ground growing so they don't produce that many pods, and they have to be picked by hand, that ramps the price up. As most of us know, if you stake them up you get tons of beans which are always less gnarled and pithy than the shop bought overpriced ones.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
FOUR PAGES on BEANS?? :ohmy:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Apparently Oakgates Farm in Scaynes Hill has a lot of of PYO. Must give it a try.

Let us know how it goes!:facepalm:

Rubbish they had PYO Raspberries, Strawberries and Logan berries apparently but all finished now The Runners are to order only not PYO and are as dear or dearer than the major supermarkets at £2 per lb. Must look on the internet for somewhere else better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here