Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

USA / Canada Cities

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Need some advice or probably inspiration.

Been to Toronto, Las Vegas, New York and San Francisco so planning a city break next February for 5 nights.

Thinking of either Boston, Dallas or Vancouver so are they interesting with things to see and do or alternatively any other suggestions.

Any good traveller advice appreciated.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
February is not the best time of year to visit any major North American cities with the exception of Miami, Los Angeles or San Diego. Boston will freeze your tits off. Do not under any circumstances consider Dallas - you'll be bored after half a day. Vancouver is a great city, but probably not in February. Other possibility is New Orleans if you like jazz.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Vancouver is a truly brilliant place. Has it all. By the sea, yet close to Whistler mountains. Stanley Park and the city centre also very good. Cant fault it as a city. Also you can get to Victoria island for a dsy trip. Plus Orca watch. In the US we are heading this year to Denver...well Boulder. City life but close to the Rockies. Let me know if you want anymore details as i have stacks of info on those 2 places.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I really enjoyed Denver, Boulder and Colorado, although now it's cannabis central it might have changed a lot.
It probably helped that I was there in September, spectacular.

If you go to Dallas, remember you're not going to America, you're going to Texas, it's a completely different country.

Unlike many I also enjoyed the Mid West, Kansas and St Louis.

Edit - Sorry I missed February, scratch all of the above.
Expect Dallas, they'll never accept Washington.

Last edited:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I would suggest Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Or Miami. Had a great time doing both of these in Februarys past.

Long way to the West coast for 5 nights.

Can confirm don't go to Dallas, worked there for a year in the 80s. Theme parks and sport is good but it will be cold in February and v little by way of tourist attractions.

PG

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Boston and Vancouver are great, along with Seattle but not in winter.

Possibly LA/San Diego, or Miami for winter sun.

Chicago is a great city to explore. Loads of restaurants, bars, museums, tall buildings and other touristy stuff.

I also recommend St. Louis. Went there last summer and had a great time.

Weather-wise in February St. Louis would be better, but Chicago does have more to see.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
All good advice so thanks, Dallas crossed off the list what has Boston got to offer ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Dallas is in Texas (enough said)
Boston is a cool city but it's New York City expensive and the locals can be dicks (big whoop, wanna fight about it?)
I've not been to Vancouver but really want to so go there and report back.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Chicago is a great city to explore. Loads of restaurants, bars, museums, tall buildings and other touristy stuff.

I also recommend St. Louis. Went there last summer and had a great time.

Weather-wise in February St. Louis would be better, but Chicago does have more to see.

Agree with Chicago great city plenty to see and do

Was not that impressed with Boston in comparison but maybe it was because it was in a Feb and was about -10 !!!!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Agree with Chicago great city plenty to see and do

Was not that impressed with Boston in comparison but maybe it was because it was in a Feb and was about -10 !!!!

The February weather in Chicago can be as bad as Boston, and you can add in a vicious wind-chill factor. Decent choice for spring, summer, fall, but avoid winter. I lived there.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'd have said Montreal, but not in February, although I did enjoy my times there in the Winter. It can be too cold/snowy.

I'd say Miami - plenty to fill 5 days with and you could even hire a convertible and drive down through the Keys if you've not done that before - either there and back in a day or, even better, stay overnight in Key West.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Echo bozza here. Key West is a fab place and Feb would be perfect weather. So too Miami with its better beaches.
I'd have said Montreal, but not in February, although I did enjoy my times there in the Winter. It can be too cold/snowy.

I'd say Miami - plenty to fill 5 days with and you could even hire a convertible and drive down through the Keys if you've not done that before - either there and back in a day or, even better, stay overnight in Key West.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I really enjoyed Denver, Boulder and Colorado, although now it's cannabis central it might have changed a lot.
It probably helped that I was there in September, spectacular.

If you go to Dallas, remember you're not going to America, you're going to Texas, it's a completely different country.

Unlike many I also enjoyed the Mid West, Kansas and St Louis.

Edit - Sorry I missed February, scratch all of the above.
Expect Dallas, they'll never accept Washington.

I've just come back from a mini USA road trip and we spent just under a week in Colorado (Estes Park and Denver) and the only time I noticed the cannabis was at a gig in Denver. Other than that and seeing the occasional bright green shop, selling the stuff, you wouldn't have noticed it was legal there. I was definitely expecting it to be a bit more in your face!

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Do not go to Dallas, very little to see there.

Vancouver is great but quite a long flight time. If you're into skiing Whistler is nearby or there is a place called Grouse Mountain which you can get a bus to and takes under an hour to get up the top of the slopes, if you wanted to just do a days skiing.

Boston would be my pick. Short flight and loads to see there. Harvard university is nearby , cape cod (one of my favourite places ) and Salem where the witch trials were and I think where Halloween originates from.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here