Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tattoos

Do you have Tattoos ?

• Total voters

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
My take on it is that nobody, absolutely nobody has the same taste and style at 50 that they had when they were 18. Most people on here will have been into something when they were young; punk, mod, skinhead, goth, heavy metal, casual, etc.and we can all look back on the photos and have a chuckle. Over the years we've changed the clothes and the hairstyle to match the stage we are at in our lives, because we have changed and the image we want to project has changed. However, today's hipster with finger-tip to toe body-art, or the gym-bunny with his tribal markings are going to be stuck with it for life. I cannot believe that the mid-20s hipster bloke who served me in M&S at Brighton station with symbols tattooed all over his hands is going to have the same taste in 30 year's time. Particularly when they have all gone smudgy and blurred.

I genuinely wrestled with this thinking when I was contemplating my first and I came to this conclusion:

I may very well not like what I have now at 30 when I turn 60. That's fair. I'm choosing to look at them as a memory of who I was at that point in my life. Even now, when I look at my first tattoo (now ten years old), I think "don't really like that band anymore but damn I had some good times listening to them".

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This seems to be what a lot of people say, which is ironic since they think that by following the crowd and getting tattoos they're somehow making a statement and being different, as opposed to just looking exactly the same as everyone else.

Not for me.

The ramp up as it were, is to get ever more complicated and larger tats done, go back 20 years and lots of girls were happy with an outlined Bluebird or Butterfly now you get Celtic Runes and Latin textbooks up and down everywhere.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I didn't get mine done thinking "I'll be different" it was more "I'd like to get that tattooed on me". Being different didn't enter my head once. I think that's a common misconception.

Did you realise that it is a statement for life at that time ? Surely you look at other tats now and wish you had a different one done ? That's the problem, when do you decide that you have reached the ultimate life long tat and be happy with it ?

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I have an Albion tattoo on one arm and a skull design on the other and have never regretted having them done.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Did you realise that it is a statement for life at that time ? Surely you look at other tats now and wish you had a different one done ? That's the problem, when do you decide that you have reached the ultimate life long tat and be happy with it ?

Yeah I knew the impact a Tattoo has. I've never regretted them. I've always worked in industries where it hasn't had any detrimental effect and I have improved on them over the years. I haven't the urge to keep getting more and more. It's been 18 years since I've had any work done and I only have my back and an arm covered. Want to get a bit more done to finish my sleeve and I'll be happy. I would rather not get any more done tbh but the arm does need finishing.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Each to their own but my opinion for what it is worth ... hideous things which look worse and worse as you get older, and on women? Awful just awful, IMO of course

Cue hipsters ex sailors and people who worked at the circus telling me how terrible a human being I am.

This

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I cannot believe that the mid-20s hipster bloke who served me in M&S at Brighton station with symbols tattooed all over his hands is going to have the same taste in 30 year's time. Particularly when they have all gone smudgy and blurred.

You never know though, some people do change as you say and drop off the face of the world within particular music scenes and yes there will be people who will regret them no doubt, however I would bet the vast majority of people will not regret them but think of them as part of you, part of your youth and something that should make you smile and go ahh yeah I recall what I was doing then etc etc. Many many people have the same musical tastes from 30 years ago the only real thing is as you get older speaking from my own experience from within a certain music genre is that you are willing to listen to other genres and even if you dont like them accept them for what they are, but you still love your first love.

I might be talking bollox, But I do anyway....

In fact ignore me, dont even bother reading this because I have tattoos and was once that kid at M&S and still am

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Generally I'm not a fan, but I've seen one I really like and am thinking of doing the same: One of my mates has the names and birth dates of his kids, fairly small, easily covered, right on the top of his shoulder blade just over his shoulder. Looks class.

Have to disagree with you on that one fella. To me it just seems like an odd thing to have tattooed on your skin, regardless of how subtle or nice the typeset. Your relationship with your kids is a living, breathing, ever evolving thing and I struggle to understand what motivates people to feel they have to brand themselves with their kid's details - are they doing it for themselves, their kids, other people or all of these? To me such tattoos look completely 'classless'

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I have one, regret getting it but only because I rushed into it and it looks like I gave a 5 year old a tattoo gun. Been planning for another 1-2 tattoos but I'm making sure what I get is exactly what I want this time. When I'm 70, faded tattoos will be the last of my worries...

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Just the one, Brighton badge on arm. Had it done 4 yrs ago for my 50th as it coincided with the new badge design coming out ,and I'd often thought about having one so thought the timing was right . Pleased with it and would have another.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not for me, thanks.
Some are better than others (or should that be some are worse than others)? I really don't like them on women, but for me the real no-no is facial tattoos.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
First of all, it's not "body art", it's like the worst kind of mindless graffiti. Tattoos make people look like thugs, chavs, or idiots - often a combination of all three. If you have a strong desire to look like an idiot, then do something you can change when fashion changes, if you must be a mindless fashion follower. What will all the tattood folk do when fashion changes in a year, or five years and tattoos are considered to be very much a yesterday thing? If you dye your hair or wear outrageous clothes, at least you can easily change them when fashion changes as it inevitably will. With tattoos you're stuck .... and probably will be the laughing stock of the town. Your decision.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
First of all, it's not "body art", it's like the worst kind of mindless graffiti. Tattoos make people look like thugs, chavs, or idiots - often a combination of all three. If you have a strong desire to look like an idiot, then do something you can change when fashion changes, if you must be a mindless fashion follower. What will all the tattood folk do when fashion changes in a year, or five years and tattoos are considered to be very much a yesterday thing? If you dye your hair or wear outrageous clothes, at least you can easily change them when fashion changes as it inevitably will. With tattoos you're stuck .... and probably will be the laughing stock of the town. Your decision.

image.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here