Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aberdeen Friendly

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
It's been four years since we won our opening game. It'd be nice to end that run but I'm sure we'll be written off as relegation certs by half the people on here if we don't.

And rightly so.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Where we started with Colunga and COG, who were disinterested and ................................................. are on the pitch at the minute.

We really do have some fickle fans, give Hughton a chance, he is still trying to put a team together. If we are still poor in October then fair enough, but we played a near full strength team vs Crawley and murdered them, it really wasn't close, league 2 or not. Today we have an okay team, but mot our strongest, and as [MENTION=267]TSB[/MENTION] said Aberdeen should way ahead of us in terms of match sharpness as they are playing in the Europa cup.

Yeah agreed.
I think what today does is highlight the difference when you take Baldock, Stephens, Kayal and March out of the line-up.
The club must obviously look to address this but I don't think it's panic stations just yet.
Still bossed the game for 75 minutes by the sound of it. Just couldn't score (Poyet second season, anyone?)

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
90: Langfield leaves to a standing ovation, with Brown on. The Aberdeen custodian has frustrated Albion with a fine display. #AFC 1 #BHAFC 0

Sounds like we were unlucky to me - calm down dear it's only a friendly [emoji7]

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Have to laugh at the same people saying IT'S ONLY A FRIENDLY, this is TWO SUMMERS now of very poor work on the transfer market in attacking positions. How can you continue to defend these lot when they clearly aren't good enough, we need some creative and attacking edge ASAP otherwise we will struggle again this year no matter who's at the back. An attack v defence exercise isn't what we should be doing.

But then we played well at Crawley and created loads of chances or are we disregarding it because it was a friendly?

We desperately need a winger maybe two and a creative midfielder and you would hope they would be signed by now, but I certainly don't hold Hughton responsible for our inability to get deals over the line.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yeah agreed.
I think what today does is highlight the difference when you take Baldock, Stephens, Kayal and March out of the line-up.
The club must obviously look to address this but I don't think it's panic stations just yet.
Still bossed the game for 75 minutes by the sound of it. Just couldn't score (Poyet second season, anyone?)

Nail and head, exactly, no strength in depth and the recruitment department need to pull their finger out.

albionite

May 20, 2009
90: Langfield leaves to a standing ovation, with Brown on. The Aberdeen custodian has frustrated Albion with a fine display. #AFC 1 #BHAFC 0

Sounds like we were unlucky to me - calm down dear it's only a friendly [emoji7]
Does sound abit like last season, having 10-30 shots them only 1-2 and scoring. Still early days few players missing with more to be added.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
It's been four years since we won our opening game. It'd be nice to end that run but I'm sure we'll be written off as relegation certs by half the people on here if we don't.

Our current squad is not good enough to stay up. I'm sure the lack of numbers and quality in the attacking midfield and wide positions will be addressed but once again, the club are leaving it very late to do this.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Our current squad is not good enough to stay up. I'm sure the lack of numbers and quality in the attacking midfield and wide positions will be addressed but once again, the club are leaving it very late to do this.

I suspect that it's already good enough to stay up...just. Rotherham, Birmingham, Blackburn, Bolton, Reading and Cardiff will likely be terrible and Hull could go through the division.
But a few signings could see a decent mid-table finish and I think most fans would settle for that after last year.
Fingers crossed we know what we're doing.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
It's been a month since we made our last first team signing, the club have taken to signing some crocked teenagers from noddy leagues rather than fill the glaring holes in our first team squad

Sort it out and bin the dullard Hughton whilst you are at it.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Accepting that it was a friendly and Aberdeen have played 4 competitive matches to date the problem last season was evident and the club have failed, so far, to remedy that. I have to admit to surprise that the team have not managed to add creativity and no matter how you dress it up last weeks signings, which may end up being excellent, are not the answer to the issue as it stands. If we are truly going to allow ourselves to begin the season relying on the inconsistent KLL and injury prone March as our wide players, no additions to the attacking midfield area and 75% of the strike force that failed so badly last season then I believe people have a right to be concerned. I know I am , but it is nothing a couple of signings wont resolve and I mean first team now signings rather then the club statements that they are confident that all will be well. We have heard that way to much.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Yeah agreed.
Kayal will probably be our most influential player this year, and Baldock and Stephens are going to be key as well. I don't think we should worry that we lost without these 3, and it sounds like their keeper had a blinder as well.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I suspect that it's already good enough to stay up...just. Rotherham, Birmingham, Blackburn, Bolton, Reading and Cardiff will likely be terrible and Hull could go through the division.
But a few signings could see a decent mid-table finish and I think most fans would settle for that after last year.
Fingers crossed we know what we're doing.

Maybe but the amount of goals and points we got last season would usually have resulted in relegation and our most creative player has returned to his parent club so I can't see how we'll finish above the team's you listed as they all were comfortably ahead of us. You know me though, I'm an eternal pessimist!

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Accepting that it was a friendly and Aberdeen have played 4 competitive matches to date the problem last season was evident and the club have failed, so far, to remedy that. I have to admit to surprise that the team have not managed to add creativity and no matter how you dress it up last weeks signings, which may end up being excellent, are not the answer to the issue as it stands. If we are truly going to allow ourselves to begin the season relying on the inconsistent KLL and injury prone March as our wide players, no additions to the attacking midfield area and 75% of the strike force that failed so badly last season then I believe people have a right to be concerned. I know I am , but it is nothing a couple of signings wont resolve and I mean first team now signings rather then the club statements that they are confident that all will be well. We have heard that way to much.

Completely agree - we desperately need another striker, winger and at least 1 centre half. 12 days and counting...

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
FFS! People it's a friendly, played with a team that won't all be in next season's starting XI, we have 2 more weeks until the first game of the season which we can make signings in, calm down, no one was wetting their bed's after the Crawley friendly were they???.

:moo:.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here