[Football] Buckley & Bridcutt

Would you want Buckley & Bridcutt back?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
With little money to spend Id hope the money would be going elsewhere. If we had luxury and patience for Buckley, and a hole for Bridcutt to fit then yes, but as we've got neither I cant see the point in the thread.

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
I don't necessarily want either back, but I wouldn't complain about seeing a fit and committed Buckley. Bidcutt has burnt his bridges somewhat, and we've got plays and prospects in the midfield.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
That's just not true though is it ? He made 21 appearances and was unused sub for half a dozen games.

That makes 27games he was fit for that isn't most of the season.

"Buckley made a sporadic impact during an injury-hit first season at Sunderland after his £2.5million move, but like Bridcutt, there are still question marks over his Premier League credentials.

The winger returned from injury during Advocaat’s reign at the end of the campaign and was handed a start at Stoke City.

But Buckley was hauled off at the interval and only featured once more under the Dutchman."

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport...sunderland-midfielder-liam-bridcutt-1-7344147

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I'd have them both back. Especially Buckley as we could really do with his firepower - and hopefully he'd have a point to prove to the fans.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Buckley for sure if he's gotten over his growing pains ... when fit he was one of the stand out performers and we need someone with his turn of speed and ability to run at defences

Not too bothered by Bridcutt's shenanigans but we're well covered in that area, so No

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Depends heavily on what other players we bring in. If the market for other wingers don't represent better or equal value for a player of equal or better quality, then I see no reason not to get Buckley. For 1.5M, or possibly less, I doubt you'll find a better player at his age. Proven in the Chamlionship, but with a not so perfect injury record.

At this stage, Brighton still need to bring in a centre back (top priority), 1-2 wingers and a 'creative' forward. With FFP being a thing, how much money can we spend on each? I doubt we'll be able to spend millions on each area we need. Hopefully, more freebies can come our way. I actually think we've brought in some very good players for next to nothing.

Central midfield isn't an area we need to strengthen as a priority, therefore no money should be wasted there. So it's a no to Bridcutt.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Quite apart from the fact that Buckley is a crock and Bridcutt is a prick, if they did end up back here then you'd have to question just how motivated they'd be. A drop in division, a drop in wages, both back here as abject FAILURES.

Nope, I wouldn't touch either of them with a shitty stick.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If we assume that the club is looking to get into the Premier League, we need players that can cut it in the Premier League. Besides all the other reasons given to steer clear, given that – on their performances last season (especially Bridcutt), and Sunderland's willingness to get rid – they can't, why would we want them back?

Look forward, not back.

I'd quite like us to have some attacking midfield players who don't spend half the season out with hamstring injuries. Buckley, evidentially, does not fit that criteria. Would be really chuffed to see us sign Marshall from Blackburn as I believe his ability in assisting goals to be better.

Ask for Bridcutt, I kind of feel he was a player relying heavily on confidence and at the right club at the right time. I'm not so sure he will hit those heights again.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
If these two were not previously Brighton players and were sold to Sunderland and were subsequently linked with us, most fans would be getting over excited if we were linked with them.

Regardless of what happened in the past, if we are serious about promotion this year, both players are exactly the type signings we need to make and so on that basis, yes I would take both back in a heartbeat.

Besides when Peter Ward kicked up a fuss with Mullery back in 1980 and went on the transfer list (albeit it he came off for a couple of months) and then only to be sold to Forest and then return on loan, no one complained then...Other than the calibre of the player, the circumstances are no different.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Both would improve our team MASSIVLY.

God, we miss Bridcutt. Rohan Ince is like a mad scientists bodged attempt to make a bigger stronger bridcutt.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Quite apart from the fact that Buckley is a crock and Bridcutt is a prick, if they did end up back here then you'd have to question just how motivated they'd be. A drop in division, a drop in wages, both back here as abject FAILURES.

Nope, I wouldn't touch either of them with a shitty stick.

Sometimes you see a post that so precisely captures your thoughts on a matter that a thumbs up or "this" doesn't capture the vigorousness of the nodding that ensues when first you read it. Nothing but a proper post will suffice. So:

this.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Nonsense.

You make some very eloquent and analytically detailed points. However, are you suggesting ince is anywhere near the class the of bridcutt as a DM? :lolol:

A DM has to be a calming influence on the team. I reckon ince sloppily gives it away on purpose just to then HUNT down his prey and get a nice little cheer for winning it back.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
One of the reasons blamed for Buckley's poor injury record with us was the rubbish training facilities we used to have at the Albion. We now have a shiny new state of the art training complex, so this should help him.

Sunderland's facilities are also top notch and it's interesting to see he went through last season with no major injury setbacks.

The bottom line is we've already bid £1.5 mill for Marshall and the Blackburn manager has said that wouldn't even buy his right foot. I would definitely take Buckley back for £1.5 mill now.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
One of the reasons blamed for Buckley's poor injury record with us was the rubbish training facilities we used to have at the Albion. We now have a shiny new state of the art training complex, so this should help him.

Sunderland's facilities are also top notch and it's interesting to see he went through last season with no major injury setbacks.

The bottom line is we've already bid £1.5 mill for Marshall and the Blackburn manager has said that wouldn't even buy his right foot. I would definitely take Buckley back for £1.5 mill now.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...rland-suffering-due-buckleys-extended-8822226

From March:

Gus Poyet believes Will Buckley’s continuing absence has hampered Sunderland’s Premier League progress.

Winger Buckley has been out of action for almost two months due to a knee injury, and remains sidelined for this weekend’s crucial game against fellow strugglers Aston Villa at the Stadium of Light.

Poyet is convinced that Buckley - who played under him at Brighton, before joining the Black Cats last summer in a £2.5m deal - has a big part to play on Wearside, but so far injuries have restricted the 25-year-old to just eight Premier League starts.

Buckley’s last outing came against Fulham in the FA Cup at the end of January, but he has not started a game since New Year’s Day and has played a total of less than 80 minutes’ league action in 2015.

Made 9 league starts last season, played 90 minutes four times.

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I'd take Buckley back tomorrow. He is everything we need and we have no-one like him.
Bridcutt maybe better than we have but we are good enough to get by in the defensive mid department and bringing him back would cost a lot in both fees and wages with no guarantee we could move someone on to cover some of the cost. He will go to Derby I think and if they don't walk the league this year it'll be a surprise and they will be in serious financial trouble.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I would have Buckley back even not at his best at the right price. He is a player that might only produce a few bright spots in a game but they usually lead to big chances of scoring. There were a lot of games where the only chances have come through him.

I do however think he is a crock. He has spent too much time on the treatment table in the last 5 years to get right ever again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here