Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jeremy Corbyn.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
you've gone a bit quiet dave, busy editing your dating site profile :lolol: seems this young bird is another invention of yours, i bet you had an imaginary friend as a kid :lolol:

Oh really Bushy sometimes you take things too far .... just drop it :whistle:

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
What I don't get in all of this is why Umunna pulled out. If I recall at the time, it was suggested that the press had something on him. But, IMHO, he would pi$$ all over the other 4. He's articulate, interviews well and appears to be numbers-savvy.

Did he think he'd have a better chance of becoming leader if/when Labour lose in 2020? Bit of a gamble if so as the economy could be stronger then, whereas if he'd become leader now, he'd have the next 5 years to rip the government to pieces far more eloquently than the other 4 when the welfare cuts begin to bite.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
You didn't say that it was 2010. Not sure that the election before last is that relevant

Well Cleggmania wasn't a thing in 2015 was it, everyone remembers it from five years ago as was pointed out by another poster and the polling data (which was right in 2010) that I provided. Pretty basic general knowledge really.

19clede_cleggbama-articleInline.jpg

Of course its relevant - Cleggmania was a hysteria around a single man changing politics with a message not seen before that encapsulated a different type of voter, which is exactly what Corbyn hopes to do, my example shows that there is no guarantee that 'Corbynmania' will reflect support at the ballot box and in seats - just as Cleggmania did not.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
What I don't get in all of this is why Umunna pulled out. If I recall at the time, it was suggested that the press had something on him. But, IMHO, he would pi$$ all over the other 4. He's articulate, interviews well and appears to be numbers-savvy.

Did he think he'd have a better chance of becoming leader if/when Labour lose in 2020? Bit of a gamble if so as the economy could be stronger then, whereas if he'd become leader now, he'd have the next 5 years to rip the government to pieces far more eloquently than the other 4 when the welfare cuts begin to bite.

He is aiming for 2025 - having Dave Milbanad, Jarvis and Kendell in his cabinet - he knows Labour wont win next time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I don't know why, but if it was tactical it was definitely a good decision.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'll take issue with you re the Tories and the economy. They won the election in 1992 despite the fact that the economy had been in recession for the preceding 2-3 years. Ken Clarke did a reasonable job of repairing the economy prior to 1997 and it wasn't in bad shape at all.

Double digit interest rates, Black Wednesday, house repossessions at their highest rate ever in this country, it was more than a 'recession.' Your correct point about Clarke doing a good job of getting the economy growing again (which he did - Clarke was a far better chancellor than Osbourne) is about as relevant Darling handing over a growing economy to Osbourne. The Tories crashed the economy after the Lawson boom; to pretend otherwise is disingenous.

The reason for the Tory victory in '92 is tough to call. I don't doubt that some of the influence may have been the relative merits of Kinnock vs Blair, though I would counter that by saying that even Kinnock would have beaten the shell of a Tory Party in 1997, in much the same way as with Brown in 2010, the Government themselves seemed to think the game was up.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
= Majority wanted to lave and then scrambling to come and live here. Surely i dont have to unpick that for you

As for the other points, i am not wrong, you percieve i am wrong. There is a huge difference
im still waiting for you to ''unpick'' this for me and explain why my observation was racist ?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Maybe. But wouldn't the risk be that there's too much ground to be made up between 2020 & 2025 if one of the 4 currently going for it does an abject job over the next 5 years?

He must think that there is no chance of Labour gaining the 100 necessary seats in five years, but in ten years time there might be, his argument will be, we abandoned new-Labour and we have lost three in a row inc. 2010 by 2020- so we have to go back to what wins elections.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What I don't get in all of this is why Umunna pulled out. If I recall at the time, it was suggested that the press had something on him.

there not much to not get, he bottled it. he had a weekend of intense media scrutiny and decided that wasn't for him. which is fair enough, but its not something unexpected in modern politics. what he showed us when it comes to hard decisions he isn't up for it. not suitable material for PM of a nation.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
there not much to not get, he bottled it. he had a weekend of intense media scrutiny and decided that wasn't for him. which is fair enough, but its not something unexpected in modern politics. what he showed us when it comes to hard decisions he isn't up for it. not suitable material for PM of a nation.

Ah, OK, wondered if it might be something more sinister. So the next 10 years (at least) in the shadow cabinet it is then!

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Whatever, I am not here to educate you
I.E it wasn't racist, not even mildly , you just thought you'd throw it in because it mentioned immigrants and failed to add the obligatory ''hard working /law abiding'' epiphet, and you dont want to look silly so you resort to the crap''whatever, i'm not here to educate you'' defence .

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I.E it wasn't racist, not even mildly , you just thought you'd throw it in because it mentioned immigrants and failed to add the obligatory ''hard working /law abiding'' epiphet, and you dont want to look silly so you resort to the crap''whatever, i'm not here to educate you'' defence .

It was although you may or may not have meant it or may or may not have understood it. Can't help you

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here