Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jeremy Corbyn.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Interesting times ahead, the 'left' have a genuine voice again in the labour party. How long for, and in what form remains to be seen.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There 540,272 eligible voters.

Some 422,664 people cast votes

slightly odd that nearly 120k members didnt vote. so with 251,417 vote for Corbyn is not actually half of the membership, only 46%. also, iirc there were over 600k signed up. did they really "vet" and reject 10% of those joining?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Jeremy Corbyn wins the Labour leadership with

There 540,272 eligible voters.

Some 422,664 people cast votes

There were 207 spoilt votes.

Jeremy Corbyn: 251,417 - 59.5%

Andy Burnham: 80,462 - 19%

Yvette Cooper: 71,928 - 17%

Liz Kendall: 18,857 - 4.5%

So, it's Tom and Jerry leading!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Odd victory speech ???

I've heard more coherent wedding speeches than this...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Why do people insist on supporting parties in a similar way to football teams!?
"oh I am a Labour/Tory voter and always will be...blah blah...so and so will be the death of the party and we wont get in for decades...blah blah"
No! Just bloody vote for who represents you the closest not a party that you liked ten/twenty years ago as they change and so do we. I hate all this mindless crap from the electorate.
I'd always supported the Labour party until the last general election when I voted Conservative because they better represented my opinions and they had a clear vision for the country. I will always vote for those reasons, rather than to blindly follow any one party but it doesn't make me any less disappointed that the political party I'd always supported have crumbled so dramatically in my opinion.

I'll join others in saying Corbyn won't ever be a Prime Minister.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Democracy needs a strong, viable opposition to make it work. I fear we won't have one for a good many years after today.

I'm not sure about that. He got nearly 60% of the vote so has a strong mandate for his policies (assuming he doesn't change half of them now he's in and the realisation sets in). There is now most definitely "clear blue water" between the two main parties and they've got nearly 5 years to persuade the electorate. I would hope that there will be more substance in the ongoing debate now that there is a proper right/left divide.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Am pleased. Where's the good in losing badly and bringing in another vacuous leader to heartlessly fight for the middle ground. Cameron wish solely to keep his leadership unshaken by anti-Europe mps, rather than actually look to offer valuable help in refugee crisis was a sickener. We might not all go along with Corbyn's policies, but at least he'll stand up for what he believes in and be different to the last couple of decades of desperation to appeal to the centre.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
A lot of weird comments on this thread from Tories. The Labour members have voted for the person they want to represent them. It will only be the death of the Labour Party if the parliamentary party refuses to work with Corbyn despite the emphatic mandate he has been given by the Labour members. The Labour Party's first job IS NOT as opposition to the Conservatives, it is to represent the views of it's members, and the views of their MP's constituents.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
A lot of weird comments on this thread from Tories. The Labour members have voted for the person they want to represent them. It will only be the death of the Labour Party if the parliamentary party refuses to work with Corbyn despite the emphatic mandate he has been given by the Labour members. The Labour Party's first job IS NOT as opposition to the Conservatives, it is to represent the views of it's members, and the views of their MP's constituents.
I wonder if you are including me as a Tory. Please don't. Labour does, of course have a duty to it's members. But it also wishes to get in power again. I don't believe Mr Corbyn will manage that. It's difficult to get the balance right between true principles and electability. I wouldn't be surprised to see SDP mark 2 on the horizon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here