Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Windows 10

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
I've spent most of the day re-installing Windows 7 on a laptop for my mum, then I want to install 8.1on an SSD to speed up my own PC. Don't think I could face another Windows installation. :mad::mad::mad:

We all need to reinstall at times but at what cost to perform this vital application with Win10?

There was inhouse but with so many problems it was decided to start aflesh and hence they moved to 10.

This isn't true I'm afraid. Lots of conspiracy theories... 7 ate 9...
code that checks for version.startswith("Windows 9"){ /*do win 9x stuff */ } else { /*do something else */)...

all not true, just a marketing decision.

If you want to upgrade you have a year to do so for free from July 29th, after which you would have to pay for the same upgrade if you want it. Plenty of time to make your choice and choose when to upgrade. If you want more info this chap, Scott has recorded a nice little video that shows the upgrade process

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuCpdlMFvUY

ABS

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Internet Explorer is used in more computers around the world than any other browser.

this does not mean it is not poop.

This isn't true I'm afraid. Lots of conspiracy theories... 7 ate 9...
code that checks for version.startswith("Windows 9"){ /*do win 9x stuff */ } else { /*do something else */)...

all not true, just a marketing decision.

what i thought, until i found a link to sourceforge with countless examples of code checking for "Windows 9" rather than a version.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
You missed a couple. Did anyone actually have Windows ME?

ME was terrible, I think that 8.0 and 8.1 are classified as different OS's like 3.0, 3.1 and 3.11 were - there was the whole NT range which 2000 I think pretty much came under as it was for networks at the time. To me 8.1 was pretty much Windows 9 given all the changes and I think that is one reason for not actually doing 9 as it was such a big update/change.

XP also lasted a long time, which was helped by 64 which extended the life of the edition, to me that is still the best one.

In my heart though 3.1 is still top (not the best) as it is where I mainly learnt about computers following on from a BBC - I learnt many things about DOS and Windows, I only had a 21 MB hard-drive and had to Delete Windows in order to play certain games, Tie Fighter was one of them along with Settlers. That taught me so much about Configs and Debugging, now I look back I am wasted in my career

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
Probably more to do with their legacy systems not being rewritten to work with 7 I would guess. Or a refusal to upgrade to hardware capable of running 7. We still have a few XP machines around that I am trying to find time to replace/upgrade but staying with XP forever seems like a bad idea to me. We will probably move to Windows 10 in time as you need to move forward but rushing as an early adopter is never a great idea and 7 does everything we need and is patched so we will stay with it for a while yet. Mind you, a few years ago, cashpoints were still running NT. I had one reboot on me whilst using it and the NT boot screen is very distinctive.

I think ATMs are still using XP(NT) and will be paying for the updates from Microsoft for a while yet.

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009

what i thought, until i found a link to sourceforge with countless examples of code checking for "Windows 9" rather than a version.

If it had been that it was API calls that was worried about then the API could have returned anything (it didn't need to match the marketing name).

In most peoples cases for code around since Win9x they are ultimately calling the GetVersion() or GetVersionEx() API. If you call these in Windows 8.1 (or Win 10) you get back 6.2 anyway proving that the API and the check here could still have succeeded.

If they were by bad practice checking a registry key for that value again a small change could have made the original code still continue to execute without error.

In short its a marketing thing, not code.
Nothing more, nothing less.

I think ATMs are still using XP(NT) and will be paying for the updates from Microsoft for a while yet.

Yeah most ATMs will be using the Embedded versions of operating systems (i.e. like Embedded XP). If its this version these customers have needed to pay for support since 2011 for Embedded XP anyway (when mainstream support ended). Time is up in Jan 2016 when Microsoft's extended support phase ends for Embedded XP.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
As a computer thicky would I be best advised to go for the windows 10 free upgrade offered on my laptop which is running windows 7.

Possibly in the future, but definitely not for at least a couple of months. Wait and see what the general opinion is, and let other people gain the experience to help you! Windows 7 should be fine in the meantime.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Contrary to my comments earlier, I have just signed up for the upgrade on my laptop. I want to see what the fuss is about. But it won't be coming near our work machines for some time to come.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
My laptop is running windows 7. I'm by no means a professional but I can install/uninstall programs, and look after basic settings and tweak a few bits here and there but my folks bought a laptop a couple of years ago running windows 8 and I hate it.

The front screen with apps all over it and lots of useless icons has driven my folks (and me) to despair. Is this windows 10 a mix of 7 and 8?

A more current smartphone/android type look or something completely different?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
At the moment they are offering a free upgrade no doubt in a couple of months it will be £100+

No it's free for a whole year, no rush!

Becktheman

Jul 7, 2015
You can upgrade to windows 10 within the first year on your present PC, laptop etc.

The upgrade will last indefinitely, but if any major components are changed and Microsoft identifies it as a different machine you will have to purchase Windows 10.

Last edited:

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
The front screen with apps all over it and lots of useless icons has driven my folks (and me) to despair.

1, Right-click the taskbar and select 'Properties'.
2, Click the 'Navigation' tab
3, Make sure under 'Start screen' the 'Go to desktop instead of start' and 'Show desktop background on start' options are checked.

From your next reboot your PC will launch to the traditional desktop view. No need to ever see that Metro start screen ever again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here