Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Windows 10

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Still no option to even start the download for me.

They are rolling it out in stages, i looked it up and it could take a week for everyone to get the download, I recently purchased a surface 3 and I have just installed the update. But on my normal dell laptop I am still awaiting the update. I think they are doing all the new devices first maybe.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I'm currently 46% into it. little'un is asleep and the missus is out for the evening so I thought I'd have a look as I have a couple of hours free.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Can someone please help me? I've installed this version and all my photos have gone and music from iTunes has gone. Please tell me the upgrade didn't wipe everything?

I have some things backed up on iCloud's and photo bucket but not all of it. Lots of stuff has potentially gone missing. Is it reversible or gone forever?

Feeling pretty sick right now...

***** blind panic over.. When it rebooted it logged itself in under the missus log in. It's all there on mine. Thank ****. Time to buy an external hard drive and back everything up somewhere else. ****ing hell I proper **** myself then.

Last edited:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Can someone please help me? I've installed this version and all my photos have gone and music from iTunes has gone. Please tell me the upgrade didn't wipe everything?

I have some things backed up on iCloud's and photo bucket but not all of it. Lots of stuff has potentially gone missing. Is it reversible or gone forever?

Feeling pretty sick right now...

In you c drive is there an old windows folder? Do you know the name of a file to search?

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I've just installed Windows 10, and now when I try to open my Word documents it says "Windows cannot find C:\Users.........doc. Make sure you've typed the name correctly, then try again." Does this mean that the latest version of Microsoft Word is incompatible with Windows 10?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I've just installed Windows 10, and now when I try to open my Word documents it says "Windows cannot find C:\Users.........doc. Make sure you've typed the name correctly, then try again." Does this mean that the latest version of Microsoft Word is incompatible with Windows 10?

similar incompatibility between older Windows versions, think Vista shited all the default user profile paths. for a company that seems determined to allow lingering legacy support for decade, even two decades old apps, they're quite happy to break the user experience.

try saving something in word to find where the new default profile path is.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Having heard that you can delay applying the upgrade for up to a year, I (mistakenly) thought that it would along the lines of "download the update, run when ready." oh no. It downloaded all right, but the delay was only up to two days. So I set the date for the middle of the night when I knew the computer would be off, so when I boot up this morning, I get the 15 minute countdown to update, so i choose delay again. Again, can only defer for two days. Means I will have to sodding well repeat this experience every day or so for the next month or two. Poorly explained, poorly executed, poorly designed. Microsoft does it again.

I blame myself of course, but I just can't help myself prodding about with OS's and such like. My desktop pc won't upgrade as the wifi card is not supported (I dual boot with Linux and chose the card with an eye to compatability). Anyone know of a PCI wifi card that is Windows 10 and Linux compatible, as at the moment there seems to be naff all information...

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I'm being told I need to upgrade the drivers for the Dolby. Something for me to do when I finish work.

D

Deleted member 22389

I see Windows 10 has workspaces, been using them in Linux for years and it's also going to have a package manager in Power Shell. Been using this in Linux for years as well, much easier than going to websites to download software. Windows users will like this feature. What mechanism is there to ensure your not downloading viruses? Will Windows 10 ask for a root password like it does in Linux before you issue commands?

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
I have a Surface Pro 3. tried to find the Windows 10 App not in store. Cannot seem to reserve it and do not have the Window icon to apply to be notified?

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I have a Surface Pro 3. tried to find the Windows 10 App not in store. Cannot seem to reserve it and do not have the Window icon to apply to be notified?

I think I read somewhere that Windows 10 wasn't going to be available in full for the Surface, but they were looking at rolling out some of the features of Windows 10 over time to it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here