Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This fascination with friendlies

Used to go to the Burgess Hill friendly but that seems to have been bongoed now.

Last friendly I went to was Kuipers Testimonial, and that was just because of what it was.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would have thought the logical friendlies would be in the fan area Eastbourne, Burgess Hill Worthing Lewes and possibly Horsham and mix the 1st team squad and DS. Good for PR and match fitness for the players even if they played the games over 14 days.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I would have thought the logical friendlies would be in the fan area Eastbourne, Burgess Hill Worthing Lewes and possibly Horsham and mix the 1st team squad and DS. Good for PR and match fitness for the players even if they played the games over 14 days.

They're playing one set of amateurs Lewes, then League opposition. They want match fitness but against decent opposition.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
They're playing one set of amateurs Lewes, then League opposition. They want match fitness but against decent opposition.

I always think the amateurs/lower league players also just want to kick the proverbial out of higher status team anyway so there's always a bit of danger in these games. Crawley seem to adopt that attitude anyway from the ones I saw.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I always think the amateurs/lower league players also just want to kick the proverbial out of higher status team anyway so there's always a bit of danger in these games. Crawley seem to adopt that attitude anyway from the ones I saw.

That is true as Mark Lawrenson told me the players dont like playing them.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I agree. Kaz had his dodgy ankle kicked quite viciously at Lewes a couple of years ago. It kept him out of the team for a few weeks. The penalty awarded by the referee was scant compensation.
Then there was the awful injury to Solly March at Crawley.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I always went to the friendly at Worthing just to help them out with gate money etc but now it seems they are out of favour. Which is rather surprising taking into account the previous Bloom connections with David and Arthur or was it Alfie, playing for Worthing.

We played a friendly at Worthing in return for letting our reserves play their games there. That arrangement finished a long time ago.

I fully accept that but with the Bloom conections I am surprised we still dont. Why do we play Lewes?

Didn't the annual Worthing freindly get scrapped, because they put down a plastic pitch?

I'd like to see a situation where a strong Albion side played a different Sussex side on a Saturday every pre season, expenses free.( I'm not saying they are obliged to "give something away" but it would be nice!) obviously it would be nice to get 1500 in to Peacehaven's ground, but it would also be great to see a four figure crowd at Southwick, Newhaven, Mile Oak! Etc £10k gate recipts would really do a lot of good

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'd like to see a situation where a strong Albion side played a different Sussex side on a Saturday every pre season, expenses free.( I'm not saying they are obliged to "give something away" but it would be nice!) obviously it would be nice to get 1500 in to Peacehaven's ground, but it would also be great to see a four figure crowd at Southwick, Newhaven, Mile Oak! Etc £10k gate recipts would really do a lot of good

That was my reasoning fòr slightly higher graded teams with a mixed 1st XI and DS team to go towards match fitness.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here