Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This equal pay for men and women business

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I was thinking about this when Wimbledon was on, and wondered why do women only play 3 sets and not 5 in Grand Slam tournaments?

Because back in the day it was considered that women were not physically capable of playing 5 sets.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Because back in the day it was considered that women were not physically capable of playing 5 sets.

And nowadays? are they seen as capable but tradition is going to mean that they will always only play 3 sets in Grand slam events. (or possible just a lack of time to fit it all in if all matches were 5 sets long)

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
One could even argue that women tennis players are now paid more than men. 3 sets for the same rewards as 5 sets.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I work with several others doing exactly the same job. None of us is paid the same although at least one woman is paid £3k pa more than me. Is this what they want to change?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
a man Brass gets nothing like a woman Brass pay wise

the feminists are very quiet on this pay inequality

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
More feminist bullshit.

The whole wage disparity is based on some of the laziest most pointless fudging of statistics ever.

They don't differentiate between occupations in these studies to come up with their conclusions.

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
Serena Williams got as much as Novak Djokovic...must be wrong..much lesser standard as well as being best of three rather than five.

Supply and demand will always be the only decider in industries supported by sponsorship, TV rights and the general paying customer. The quality of tennis (by which I mean any top 100 player in the men's game would thrash Serena) is worse but people enjoy watching it and pay to do so. I think setting the pay levels exactly the same is a bit arbitrary. If centre court was empty on women's quarter final,semi and final days or visa versa trust me they wouldn't be paid the same.....

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It's what the BBC does rather well (original article).
Lets face it there's a Woman's Hour endlessly discussing FGM but no male equivalent on the radio.

It's simply being disingenuous to push an agenda.

Of course men earn more when you compare engineers and oil rig workers (predominantly male occupations) with teachers and nurses (predominanlty female occupations).

And that's what more than a few of these "studies" do to dupe people into thinking men get paid more than women. Compare apples with oranges.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here