Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A personal update from me - depression (update post #141)

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Hi all. Sorry I haven't posted an update for a good two weeks now.

Last Friday after 4 days in hospital and then after reassessment by the Crisis Mental Health team they admitted me under the Mental Health act, however 7 days later I can tell you all that I've been released and I'm now back at home at my mum and dad's place.

Met a good friend whilst being in there who I get on with really well as we both have been through sort of the same experiences so can understand and relate to each other. I have a few aims for myself over the next few weeks, first being try to learn to cook from scratch as this is something that I have wanted to do for a while and I purchased myself a beginners cookbook. I also want to improve my fitness and wellbeing so next week I'm going to join the gym and try and get myself focused on going there and helping myself.

Hopefully I'll be able to bump in to a few of the posters who have contributed to this thread on some of my away days in the forthcoming season. Will post another update soon.

Regards, Russ

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

Last Friday after 4 days in hospital and then after reassessment by the Crisis Mental Health team they admitted me under the Mental Health act, however 7 days later I can tell you all that I've been released and I'm now back at home at my mum and dad's place.

Met a good friend whilst being in there who I get on with really well as we both have been through sort of the same experiences so can understand and relate to each other. I have a few aims for myself over the next few weeks, first being try to learn to cook from scratch as this is something that I have wanted to do for a while and I purchased myself a beginners cookbook. I also want to improve my fitness and wellbeing so next week I'm going to join the gym and try and get myself focused on going there and helping myself.

Hopefully I'll be able to bump in to a few of the posters who have contributed to this thread on some of my away days in the forthcoming season. Will post another update soon.

Regards, Russ

keep it up you are moving in the right direction

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton

Regards, Russ

All the best mate and I'm sure you can get through this!
The gym is a great activity to concentrate the mind and a focus!
Always know that even though most of us on this site have never met, we all share a love of our club, but also in times of crisis a sense of togetherness, and I'm sure I speak for those who have responded to your initial thread, that we are all with you mate!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Very pleased to see you post again Russ, you have a whole thread full of support here on tap, it's a very positive network. Glad to hear you're doing better, try and encourage a friend to join the gym too, always easier as a pair!

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Watch out if there's anything that can test a man's sanity to breaking point it's a cookbook! But in all seriousness well done Russ pigeon steps and all that.

SuperFurrySeagull

Sep 25, 2003
Cardiff By The Sea
Very glad to hear you're on the right track to beating this illness. All the best wishes for your continued recovery from this Welsh corner of Albiondom.

Tim.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Regards, Russ
More likely to bump into NSC members back on the mental health unit. :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well done Russ, pleased for you and your dad. Try running as well as gym, it really will help with stress.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Well done Russ, pleased for you and your dad. Try running as well as gym, it really will help with stress.

Running is good if you can get on with it as it gives you time to clear your head and think. If not running then walking is a decent substitute (i don't like running)

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Shall be at the game tomorrow evening as unfortunately couldn't make Fulham on Saturday. If anyone wants to pop over and say hello then it'd be much appreciated :thumbsup:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Shall be at the game tomorrow evening as unfortunately couldn't make Fulham on Saturday. If anyone wants to pop over and say hello then it'd be much appreciated :thumbsup:

Good news, very pleased to hear it! I won't be anywhere near Huddersfield tomorrow, so I won't be able to say howdy but I'm sure plenty will. Enjoy the game. :albion2:

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
My daughter is a doctor and currently in training to become a GP, having already qualified as a surgeon.

As part of her training she is currently on an 8 month placement in a psychiatric hospital, which can be fairly harrowing.

Mental illness seems to be taken very seriously in GP training, which somewhat gives the lie to this load of old cobblers.

I too have a med school kid, we talk about such things. So many physical ailments can be fixed or treated or mollified. Depression, and I guess other mental issues can be quelled or squashed, but aren't really even understood so how could they possibly be genuinely treated/fixed? To your point also I know doctors who dread the psychiatric placements for this reason, they are doctors and yet they cannot fix the patients.

I've had students in my care with depression and I find it enormously difficult - it's horrible for them and we're powerless. Only good thing is it seems that it comes and goes, I hope for OP and anyone else it goes and the dark dread lifts.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
Had nt seen any post from you so put in a search glad to hear things have come on in a really positive way for you
up the Albion.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
If you ever need anyone to talk to in the dead of night I'll probably be awake. I may not be there to support you in person, but the joys of being +11 hours on you means I can be an ear when all others are asleep.

Kia kaha Russ.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here