Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gout. Please help.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
if it is that bad i think you would be within your rights to go to casualty .......any strong anti-inflamants will take the edge of but it sounds pretty acute......feel for ya bud....

Will need a driver to go to casualty tho, would be impossible to drive there. Gout is an absolutely evil pain. Last time I had it, more or less had to starve for the five days it takes to subside because I couldn't bear to walk to the kitchen, let alone walk across the park to my GP.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Will need a driver to go to casualty tho, would be impossible to drive there. Gout is an absolutely evil pain. Last time I had it, more or less had to starve for the five days it takes to subside because I couldn't bear to walk to the kitchen, let alone walk across the park to my GP.

You know you only have to pick up the phone for one of us to help out.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You know you only have to pick up the phone for one of us to help out.

Ta. Thought I'd be a big brave boy and just ride out the five days of serious pain.Then f*ck me if I didn't straightaway get it in the other foot. Still, lost a stone over the ten days which despite my subsequent binge-drinking best efforts haven't QUITE put back on again. so its not all bad news... :wink:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ta. Thought I'd be a big brave boy and just ride out the five days of serious pain.Then f*ck me if I didn't straightaway get it in the other foot. Still, lost a stone over the ten days which despite my subsequent binge-drinking best efforts haven't QUITE put back on again. so its not all bad news... :wink:

Text on it's way x

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
The missus phoned 111 and spoke to them. They advised I went to A&E so did so. That was the most excruciating passenger ride of my life. Every pothole, lump, bump and gear change the missus hit had me screaming in pain.

The nurse took one look at my ankle and diagnosed it straight away. They really are the best.

I'm now home with some super strength ibuprofen, co-codamol, some cherry concentrate from Holland & Barrett and a re usable ice pack.

Thanks ever so much for the comments guys. Makes you realise you're not alone when this kind of thing happens. It is without doubt, the single most painful thing I've ever experienced, and I've broken several bones in my life including a double break in my forearm.

I'm dosed up and feeling drowsy so will try and have a sleep and wake up in a bit less pain.

Thanks everyone.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
At a distant point in my fairly chequered business career I spent a couple of years selling portable air massage units that went into normal baths. Wildly over-priced, nevertheless several customers told me that they'd had some relief from gout by using them: presumably it helped dissolve the ua crystals. If you can find a jacuzzi or similar you might try this, but it ain't a substitute for drug relief...

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i've only had it in my toes a few times and my ankle once......my first reaction was cut the ****er (s) off....i can't believe how it just explodes into life in a matter of a couple of minutes....pow...!! frightening. i was at a Perth Glory game with a mate of mine when it hit him in his knee , i had to carry him out of the ground , lie him in the back of a cab and take him to hospital......they took something like 600 mls of fluid off it...ffs..!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The missus phoned 111 and spoke to them. They advised I went to A&E so did so. That was the most excruciating passenger ride of my life. Every pothole, lump, bump and gear change the missus hit had me screaming in pain.

The nurse took one look at my ankle and diagnosed it straight away. They really are the best.

I'm now home with some super strength ibuprofen, co-codamol, some cherry concentrate from Holland & Barrett and a re usable ice pack.

Thanks ever so much for the comments guys. Makes you realise you're not alone when this kind of thing happens. It is without doubt, the single most painful thing I've ever experienced, and I've broken several bones in my life including a double break in my forearm.

I'm dosed up and feeling drowsy so will try and have a sleep and wake up in a bit less pain.

Thanks everyone.

How you feeling today? Eased off off a bit?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
How you feeling today? Eased off off a bit?

It's still bloody painful and swollen but nowhere near as bad as yesterday:smile:

I can now hobble around reasonably well but even a twitch of my toe has me swearing!!!!

I've been on 400mg of ibuprofen and a couple of co-codamol religiously every 4 hours and now it's in my system it's beginning to work. I'm sure that cherry juice has helped too so it may well be worth drinking a bit every day to help with things.

I should be back to normal on Tuesday and I'll make an appointment to see my doctor this week to see if it's worth starting up medication again. This is my first attack in well over a year and I can't say I've drank a lot of alcohol this last week so am wondering what triggered it.... My diet is pretty consistent and I haven't eaten any "new" food so working out the trigger could be tricky.

I just know I don't want that to happen again!!!!!!

Thank you for helping.:clap2:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Well sign me up for the Gout Family. I am in. First attack 2 days ago. Fck me it is painful ! Left Big Toe, best way to describe it is that it feels like it is broken. Can't really put any weight on it and walking slowly and in pain. Had MOT 2 months ago and uric acid levels were well up, GP said I was at risk and happy days, here it is. I like Tom's advise of the Cherry Active. I will seek that out tomorrow

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
My GP's treatment plan -- naproxen as directed, plus as many ounces of water a day as half your weight in pounds.
Also, if you're on a diuretic for high BP, ditch the diuretic for another medicine.

You're right about the 'how did I break my toe, and not remember?' nature of the pain. It's that bad.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I feel for you mate. If this your first attack then you're now succeptable to others. Cut down on your alcohol intake as that is the trigger in the majority of cases.

I have a supply of colchicine in the cupboard and I take one a day to help prevent attacks. It's a crocus extract that was used in the olden days to help prevent it. But it's nasty stuff if you take too many. I spent a day with severe stomach cramps and on the toilet constantly on the way to losing nearly 10lbs in fluids. Talk to your GP about it. It may be worth a go.

I also recommend the cherry concentrate. I have a glass everyday. I don't know if works or not but I'm willing to try ANYTHING to avoid another attack.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I feel for you mate. If this your first attack then you're now succeptable to others. Cut down on your alcohol intake as that is the trigger in the majority of cases.

I have a supply of colchicine in the cupboard and I take one a day to help prevent attacks. It's a crocus extract that was used in the olden days to help prevent it. But it's nasty stuff if you take too many. I spent a day with severe stomach cramps and on the toilet constantly on the way to losing nearly 10lbs in fluids. Talk to your GP about it. It may be worth a go.

I also recommend the cherry concentrate. I have a glass everyday. I don't know if works or not but I'm willing to try ANYTHING to avoid another attack.

Cherry concentrate sounds much nicer than colchicine.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
I think you were lucky you could actually put weight on it as some attacks are so bad you dont want anyone near the offending joint .
You will get to know the trigger foods that cause it mate .I have had goat for 15 years and can tell when I feel it is coming on,so a quick dose of painkillers and keep of the allopurinol for a few days .You will get to know your body and keep it under control .I am not a drinker and lead a pretty healthy lifestyle but it is also hereditary unfortunately .Drinking water and keeping the weight off and getting your uric acid levels checked regularly and watch for trigger foods is what has worked for me .Good luck buddy and welcome to the club

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I feel for you mate. If this your first attack then you're now succeptable to others. Cut down on your alcohol intake as that is the trigger in then majority of cases.

Thanks this is a shit club to be in. Hey ho

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Dont waste your time with the different cures offered by others.

I get Gout sometimes and it is a real pain, I had a bad outbreak a few years ago and did a bit of research, quite frankly although they know the cause they do not know what triggers the symptoms.

Luckily as it is rarely chronic, any mythical cure including cherry juice etc. if taken at the right time in the cycle of your Gout outbreak will give you results, luckily Gout gets better irrespective of any change of behaviour.

Just treat the symptom of inflammation with anti inflammatory's and wait ...............................

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
It's still bloody painful and swollen but nowhere near as bad as yesterday:smile:

I can now hobble around reasonably well but even a twitch of my toe has me swearing!!!!

I've been on 400mg of ibuprofen and a couple of co-codamol religiously every 4 hours and now it's in my system it's beginning to work. I'm sure that cherry juice has helped too so it may well be worth drinking a bit every day to help with things.

I should be back to normal on Tuesday and I'll make an appointment to see my doctor this week to see if it's worth starting up medication again. This is my first attack in well over a year and I can't say I've drank a lot of alcohol this last week so am wondering what triggered it.... My diet is pretty consistent and I haven't eaten any "new" food so working out the trigger could be tricky.

I just know I don't want that to happen again!!!!!!

Thank you for helping.:clap2:

Fresh Cherry Juice works really well and tiny little tablets on prescription though called " Colchisine" combine the two, bloody fantastic.
Gouts a ******* mate I know , I had it for years on and off and then all of a sudden it just went.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here