Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Players you don't rate that others do.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Non albion has to be Rooney and Neymar both talked up like world greats when in reality they are nowhere near the level of other top international players

Albion current - another vote for March, ridiculously one footed and aside from a goal in a friendly against Norwich not really been very effective. And the marmite man JFC maybe there is a great player in there that just does not fit into our way of playing but for me he hides in games and we look a poorer 11 with him on the pitch. Not sure what all the fuss about Halford was last season either

I understand Rooney, he's always touted as world class but I think is lacking technically compared to other world class players. As for Neymar... he was amazing last season. I was unsure at first but he has really stepped up a level since the world cup for sure.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Oh oh oh. I've just remembered the ULTIMATE one.

Marcos Painter. Bloody hell. The game used to have to stop if ever he crossed the halfway line due to all the blood on the pitch from his nose.

I could actually SMELL him crapping himself when he plodded forward.

I'm sure he was a LOVELY bloke and an EXCELLENT John Terry lookalike....but I couldn't BELIEVE my ears when people said he was a good player.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Marcos Painter. Bloody hell. The game used to have to stop if ever he crossed the halfway line due to all the blood on the pitch from his nose.

I'm sure he was a LOVELY bloke and an EXCELLENT John Terry lookalike....but I couldn't BELIEVE my ears when people said he was a good player.

Very Useful in league 1.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
From us:
Joe Bennett - poor defender
Dunk - just ok, not that good.
Lopez - went missing when it mattered.
Tex and Conway - 3-4 good games, the rest were abject.

Codner - really poor, effort negligible.
Penny - one trick pony easy to work out
Moseley - can only ever remember him making 4 great saves, 2 of them were in the FA Cup semi-final.

More widely:
David James - calamity
Glen Johnson - shocking
Leighton Baines - not international class
Jagielka - just poor
Downing - I also have a left foot and I can't cross with it either.

I could keep going forever.....

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
For Albion has to be John Crumplin - although I think it was partially because he was so bad that he got cult status. Like a footballing Eric the Eel.

More generally Jordan Henderson - I just don't get it.......

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Chris Smalling, Callum Chambers, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Etienne Capoue

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Oh l loved Marcos, not the most gifted left back to play for the club l'll agree, but was always dependable and willing to fight for the cause.

I'll always remember a goal he scored for us, an almost unique occurance for him, as l think he only scored two or three in his entire career. He was so excited he almost did a lap of honour at Withdean.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Controversial - because I have been picked up on it by other Brighton fans (but that's the point of the thread) - but Colunga.

Probably had two really good games last season, his home debut and away at Bournemouth but the rest of the time I found him disinterested and slightly petulant.

I don't rate KLL either but he's my son's favourite player so have to keep quiet about that.

In the wider sense I've never thought the more flair foreign wide / midfield players for Man U (e.g. Nani, Valencia) were anywhere near as good as the more often derided Carrick and Owen Hargreaves.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Controversial - because I have been picked up on it by other Brighton fans (but that's the point of the thread) - but Colunga.

Probably had two really good games last season, his home debut and away at Bournemouth but the rest of the time I found him disinterested and slightly petulant.

I don't rate KLL either but he's my son's favourite player so have to keep quiet about that.

In the wider sense I've never thought the more flair foreign wide / midfield players for Man U (e.g. Nani, Valencia) were anywhere near as good as the more often derided Carrick and Owen Hargreaves.

See, I like Colunga. I don't feel he was given much of a chance. Played well at Norwich, Fulham and Bournemouth. Never really did it at home, but I do get the petulance comment.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
See, I like Colunga. I don't feel he was given much of a chance. Played well at Norwich, Fulham and Bournemouth. Never really did it at home, but I do get the petulance comment.

If he had scored his chance at home against Blackpool I think things may have been different for him. I still think he is a good option for us to have next season as wide player an upfront, its a long old season and you never know when he may come in handy.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Wayne Rooney. How many times do we have to see him look completely out of his depth when he steps up beyond the Premiership, before people stop with the whole "World Class" nonsense.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wayne Rooney. How many times do we have to see him look completely out of his depth when he steps up beyond the Premiership, before people stop with the whole "World Class" nonsense.

Good call.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Cant see anyone agreeing with me here but MESSI. Only ever played in Spain. Never really shone on the international stage.

Think there is another reason apart from Money he stayed in Spain.... Too lightweight for the more physical leagues.

Awaiting the flogging. :dunce:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
ROFL, how can anyones suggestion on here get a Thumbs Down? The WHOLE POINT of the thread is that we all know other people do rate the players we are talking about. So we all know people disagree with us, and yet some people feel they need to confirm this with a Thumbs Down.

LOL.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
John Stones of Everton and, incredibly, England. Comfortable on the ball but can't defend - bit of a drawback for a defender in my book.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
At the Top Level
Paul Scholes

Seriously? He is technically the best English player of the Golden Generation, and the only one that the likes of Zidane, Pirlo etc were ever star struck by. Woefully underused by England, IMO THE best English player of the last 15/20 years.

My ten pence - for us, Colunga. Has a decent touch but he's lazy, weak, one-footed, rarely looks interested and doesn't have any real pace. Bournemouth away aside, I found him incredibly frustrating, and I nearly had an aneurysm when he petulantly got sent off when we were losing and ambled 40 yards to leave the pitch instead of taking 4 steps sideways into touch so we could get on with the game.

At a higher level, another shout for Rooney, and one for Sterling. Both touted as superstars yet both continually underwhelm.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here