Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Traffic CHAOS next week, at Brighton Station..

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I do quite like what they're doing with it, however if you're going to widen a pavement don't then fill in that extra space with MASSIVE flower beds, IDIOTS.

I haven't walked up there in the last 2-3 weeks but the last few times I did there weren't even any flowers in the MASSIVE flower beds. IDIOTS !

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Could easily move the cabs and/or buses round to the back entrance to the station. That area is massively underused currently. Apart from a couple of random buses of a weekday, and the replacement bus service of a weekend, that area just seems to be a drop-off point that hardly anybody uses for that purpose.

would make sense for cabs

Jul 7, 2003
But who NEEDS to drive a car down Queens Road? If, for example, you want to get from Seven Dials to the Churchill Square car parks, drive down Montpelier Road and use the seafront and West Street.

How about if you are driving in via Dyke Road going to the theatre and want to park in North Road car park?

How about if you are driving in via Dyke Road going to the theatre and want to park in North Road car park?

I thought it was the Church Street car park that was promoted as the Theatre Car Park. Personally, I would consider the Carlton Hill Car Park. Both are accessible from Seven Dials via Preston Circus.

Edit ... except that Carlton Hill closes permanently in a couple of weeks.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I do quite like what they're doing with it, however if you're going to widen a pavement don't then fill in that extra space with MASSIVE flower beds, IDIOTS.
But then what are you meant to swerve round when people stop to have an inconveniently placed chat?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Are they going to put the taxis round the back? Makes sense to me as they make the front look messy.

Also, I've been pottering around town on the buses today. I can't help but think a tram service would make things a lot better than loads of buses blocking everything up and swinging out into the roads every 100 yards or so. It's bus chaos at Churchill Square, Clock Tower, North St, Station. I'd ban cars from these areas and install trams running along Western Rd down North St and up Queens Rd and all along the seafront from King Alfred's to the marina.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Are they going to put the taxis round the back? Makes sense to me as they make the front look messy.

Also, I've been pottering around town on the buses today. I can't help but think a tram service would make things a lot better than loads of buses blocking everything up and swinging out into the roads every 100 yards or so. It's bus chaos at Churchill Square, Clock Tower, North St, Station. I'd ban cars from these areas and install trams running along Western Rd down North St and up Queens Rd and all along the seafront from King Alfred's to the marina.

Trams would be good but there's only transport method EVERYONE wants

latest

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

It's the way forward. Obviously. If they can do it in Croydon, they can do it here. Bit of a no-brainer really.

The problem with putting taxis round the back of the station is that journey distances would be significantly longer for most passengers and therefore fares would be higher. People travelling to the station by cab want to be dropped off as close as possible to where they will be buying tickets. The wrong end of platform 8 fails that test as well.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Oh no what a blunder! They're the wrong colour...

TRADERS and motorists face three more weeks of misery after workmen were forced to dig up and replace new paving slabs as they were the wrong colour.

Work improving the public square outside Brighton Station will need the extra time for relaying pavement slabs after stone suppliers said the slabs fell below their “world-class standards”.

Surrounding businesses say they are fed up with the “lingering” disruption, of the work which is hurting trade heir business.

Suppliers Tobermore have apologised and said they will meet the extra costs of digging up and re-laying new stones – in the right colour.

Work began this week on digging up the faulty stones, which were laid as part of the ongoing Brighton Station Gateway project designed to make life easier and safer for pedestrians leaving and walking to the station.

It began in January last year – and work is designed to simplify the junction of Queens Road, Gloucester Road and Upper Gloucester Road.

A Brighton and Hove City Council spokeswoman said that the repaving works would mean the bus stop area will not be open at full capacity until the beginning of August.

She added that the work was at no extra cost to the taxpayer and that the rest of the refurbishment remained on schedule.

It is the second time the project has had disruption, after newly-laid paving was dug up at the junction of Surrey Street and Upper Gloucester Road, as some bus drivers were taking the wrong line through the corner and clipping the kerb.

Tom Tucker, manager of the nearby Grand Central pub, said: “We have had a lot of trouble with this particular project.

“It looks like everything they do gets re-done, like each piece of the work is being done twice.

“Obviously it’s disruptive – it’s terrible for business. The dust and noise is a real issue.”

Martin Harris, managing director of Brighton and Hove Bus Company, said that work to improve how traffic flowed around the station would be welcomed in the long run.

He said: “In the past We have all been trying to squeeze a quart into a pint pot outside Brighton Station; and out of necessity in this latest phase in the works [now] might come the opportunity to see how things could work differently and much better there.”

A spokeswoman for the paving slab suppliers Tobermore, from Northern Ireland, said: “The product colour supplied on this rare occasion was not in line with our world class standards.

“We therefore felt it was our responsibility to change it.

“It has been dealt with promptly at no expense to the local council.

“We are very proud to be involved with this prestigious project and have no doubt the Brighton Station redevelopment scheme will be a success and offer huge benefits to the local community.”
:moo:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The staff of the contractors won't have seen the paperwork that was sent to the suppliers in Northern Ireland. They'll simply use the materials that are delivered.

First rule of a project manager ..... check the delivery matches what you ordered ..... pretty simple really ..... simple quite clearly being the operative word in this instance.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
First rule of a project manager ..... check the delivery matches what you ordered ..... pretty simple really ..... simple quite clearly being the operative word in this instance.

Blimey, mine's always been "add 20% to everything"

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here