Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you have a favourite pause in music?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Love it! Just used that track to test out my new speakers, very punchy bass line and a pause just long enough.

I put it on every now and again when I'm setting up a pub in the morning or closing it down at night.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
The one that always gets them (and the song is about 100 years old) is My Way, Frank Sinatra. They just can't help themselves clapping and then the end of the song come. Hilarious.
The other one of course is I Just Can't Help Believing - Elvis Presley. I can never get the gap right.

Two rock classics
Don't fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult
Spirit of Radio - Rush

Good call - not sure that there is a pause in the Rush - are you referring to the slowy down reggae bit at the end? I think NSC needs to form a Committee/Working Group to consider and report back as to what constitutes a pause for the purposes of this thread.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Captain Beefheart's Moonlight on Vermont. There's a drum roll: you think it's stopped and it comes back even more raucous than before. If I were ever on Desert Island Discs, it would be my opening song

[yt]G7RNU8qFD0g[/yt]

Truly brilliant. I also like the pause near the end of The Doors - 'Riders on the Storm' before it all comes back in..class

It's not what you play , it's what you don't play... or something like that.

TNBA

TTF

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

The milliseconds of silence at the end of the first bar of the intro to Garbage's "Supervixen."

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
There have been some really good suggestions. I particularly like The Eels and Trout Mask Replica (Which I keep in the car to threaten the kids with if they misbehave: 'Much more of this and you'll be getting The Mascara Snake!')

For those who don't have the time to listen to all the tracks recommended, here is a compilation of all the pauses running into each other (courtesy of John Cage of course):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTEFKFiXSx4

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Bouncing a very old thread, and its a bit of a cheat because there is a keyboard chord still echoing, but after the Lionesses' win, it's just occurred to me that the pause between Broudie singing 'I know that was then, but it could be again...' and the final chorus is the spine chilling bit of this song that even after all these years can make me well up. A line that resigns itself to perpetual failure, but has just a tiny twinkling of hope. It captures being a football supporter like nothing else.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bouncing a very old thread, and its a bit of a cheat because there is a keyboard chord still echoing, but after the Lionesses' win, it's just occurred to me that the pause between Broudie singing 'I know that was then, but it could be again...' and the final chorus is the spine chilling bit of this song that even after all these years can make me well up. A line that resigns itself to perpetual failure, but has just a tiny twinkling of hope. It captures being a football supporter like nothing else.

Can we all now just post the same songs we posted in 2015? Or are there any new ones?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here