Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Storm kicking off in the channel

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yep - some potent storms brewing over northern France right now, heading our way

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I'm not convinced they'll still be electrical once it gets here, we might just get "thundery rain"

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm not convinced they'll still be electrical once it gets here, we might just get "thundery rain"

If they follow the trend of the previous couple of bands that tried to corss the channel then they will decay somewhat - but with the extra heat as the day progresses and the enhanced instability in the more organised band, you never know. Plus of course, away from the coastal strip they will re-invigorate as they push inland.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patreon
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
If they follow the trend of the previous couple of bands that tried to corss the channel then they will decay somewhat - but with the extra heat as the day progresses and the enhanced instability in the more organised band, you never know. Plus of course, away from the coastal strip they will re-invigorate as they push inland.
Does wadhurst class as inland storm wise? :smile:

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Lightning maps seems ti have little correlation to rainfall radar, strangely?

Not sure - seems a good correlation - there are a few active zones, but most of the rain is not thundery.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Not sure - seems a good correlation - there are a few active zones, but most of the rain is not thundery.

How does a cloud basicallly generate electrical power? Does it have to have an updraft creating ice crystals everytime?

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
How does a cloud basicallly generate electrical power? Does it have to have an updraft creating ice crystals everytime?

It is caused by movement of electrons in the cloud, yes - creating a difference in charge, either between parts of the cloud itself or between the cloud and the ground.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
all the good stuff has gone too far east :/ , but it looks like we'll get some thunder and lightning.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here