Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 102nd Tour de France, thread.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I'm not so sure. Had Movistar known how the race would pan out, I imagine they'd have attacked earlier, maybe sacrificing Valverde a little.

'Had' is the key word in what you say. Hindsight is a wonderful thing especially in cycling and the truth is we don't know what would have happened if movistar attacked more earlier.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
'Had' is the key word in what you say. Hindsight is a wonderful thing especially in cycling
Well that's precisely my point. They could have done things differently with more information, and Froome/Sky giving information now doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not so sure. Had Movistar known how the race would pan out, I imagine they'd have attacked earlier, maybe sacrificing Valverde a little.
It's one thing asking AVV to sacrifice his hundreds of thousands of Euro's in prize money, bonuses, and potential earnings, it's another thing him actually doing it.
Anyway neither Quintana or Valverde came across as men sitting at home on Monday saying 'blimey I wish I'd ridden harder'.
On Alp d'Huez, even with perfect team tactics Nairo still took less than 2 minutes from a sick Froome.

Oh, brilliant! Cycle to Portsmouth, ferry over, Grand Depart + Sunday's stage! MUCH more convenient than Yorkshire.
It's almost as if Prudhomme wants another English Grand Depart but knows he can't ask.

The first question on future GD host applications will be:-

Are you in, or can you see England when you look out of the window?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's one thing asking AVV to sacrifice his hundreds of thousands of Euro's in prize money, bonuses, and potential earnings, it's another thing him actually doing it.
Well you don't sell it to him like that do you :) His chance of winning was if both him and Quintana attack. If it didn't work, Valverde could still get on the podium.

Anyway neither Quintana or Valverde came across as men sitting at home on Monday saying 'blimey I wish I'd ridden harder'.
I'm not suggesting they didn't work hard, everyone did, but they really worked as a team against Froome at the end, and could have tried more earlier.
On Alp d'Huez, even with perfect team tactics Nairo still took less than 2 minutes from a sick Froome.
He only lost by a minute at 12 (I think).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well you don't sell it to him like that do you :) His chance of winning was if both him and Quintana attack. If it didn't work, Valverde could still get on the podium.

I'm not suggesting they didn't work hard, everyone did, but they really worked as a team against Froome at the end, and could have tried more earlier.
He only lost by a minute at 12 (I think).
This is another example of a (hopefully) clean race.

Trying earlier and working harder to a clean rider goes at a price.
That'll be the next day.

Many a rider would have attacked Froome on the first day.
Juiced up or transfused in some 'super' blood that evening, before doing it again.
Repeat until done.

We saw in the Critirium an out of sorts Nibali 'going for it early', then losing all that time + an extra 5 minutes the next day.

Valverde was blowing out of his arse with his last effort on d'Huez.
Had he done that the day before he might not have even been there when it mattered.

Much the same can be said for Winner Anacona, who's role in keeping Nairo away was vital.

All the while Nairo really needed their contributions because he couldn't do it alone.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Valverde was blowing out of his arse with his last effort on d'Huez.
But so was Froome. It's all relative - Valverde attacked with everything on the last day (in Alps) and Chris (and his whole team) defended with everything. Chris (and team) wouldn't have defended as hard on previous days and Valverde wouldn't have had to attack so hard. I'm obviously not suggesting Movistar went all in straight away, but they have two great riders and may have been able to do more earlier.

I know Quintana did try earlier, and Froome was always equal to it until the last two days, but when Quintana tried earlier I don't remember Valverde trying at the same time so much.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Not sure if anyone has posted up the final NSC Geeks TDF league - well done Plooks who was in the top 200 teams overall and with two men down, lets bung our hats back in for the Tour of Spain, if it gets its own thread

Attachments

• NSC G 111.jpg
    NSC G 111.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 82

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here