Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 102nd Tour de France, thread.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Attachments

• recorrido 2015 11.jpg
    recorrido 2015 11.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 153

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The five highest recorded sprint speeds were:

78.48 km/h (48.77 mph) – John Degenkolb (Stage 5)
76.46 km/h (47.51 mph) – André Greipel (Stage 8)
75.13 km/h (46.68 mph) – Peter Sagan (Stage 7)
64.67 km/h (40.18 mph) – John Degenkolb (Stage 10)
62.96 km/h (39.12 mph) – Thomas De Gendt (Stage 18)
The average recorded speed of the riders across all 21 stages of the 2015 Tour was 38.34 km/h (23.82 mph), with the average stage distance being 160km.

The highest average speed for a single stage was 55.45km/h (34.46 mph) on Stage 1’s time trial in Utrecht.

The riders’ lowest average recorded speed across the 21 stages was 28.94 km/h (17.98 mph) on Stage 19, which saw the peloton take on the category one Col du Chaussy, haute category Col de la Croix de Fer, second category Col du Mollard and finish the day on the ascent of the first category Le Corbier.

Being a tough Tour fought in the mountains, the 58 categorised climbs meant total climbing of 59,556m (195,394 ft) – about 6.7 times the height of Mount Everest.

The five climbs with the lowest recorded average speed were:

15.52 km/h (9.64 mph) – Côte de la Croix Neuve, Stage 14 (3km Cat 2 at 10.3%)
15.84 km/h (9.84 mph) – Alpe d’Huez, Stage 20 (13.8 km HC at 8.1%)
16.21 km/h (10.07 mph) – La Pierre-Saint-Martin, Stage 10 (15.3 km HC at 7.4%)
16.49 km/h (10.25 mph) – Plateau de Beille, Stage 12 (15.8 km HC at 7.9%)
16.76 km/h (10.41 mph) – Lacets de Montvernier, Stage 18 (3.4 km cat. 2 at 8.2%)
Finally, Dimension Data calculated that the riders burned an estimated 23,940,000 calories, equivalent to about 85,807 hamburgers.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Apologies if this has already appeared but its a great Montage of the Go Pro cam shots in this years Tour, I just love all the sound recordings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkTQTIo0_4c

Great stuff! Found myself really tensing up watching some of those crashes and close calls! Always amazed at the speeds they go at such close proximity to one another too...brilliant.
Was that a sign of Froomes tiredness right at the end as well? Saying it was a good job there wasn't one more stage in the Alps....?!

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Was that a sign of Froomes tiredness right at the end as well? Saying it was a good job there wasn't one more stage in the Alps....?!

Defiantly, I think they were amazed Movi Star and BMC didn't put the boot in and attack attack attack much earlier. They must be preying for the return of a long TT next year, as I doubt they will gain in the first week next year.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Defiantly, I think they were amazed Movi Star and BMC didn't put the boot in and attack attack attack much earlier. They must be preying for the return of a long TT next year, as I doubt they will gain in the first week next year.
Is it a good idea for Froome and Sky to show their hand? I'd have thought it was better to keep quiet, and not let other teams know how much they struggled on the mountains.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Is it a good idea for Froome and Sky to show their hand? I'd have thought it was better to keep quiet, and not let other teams know how much they struggled on the mountains.

They keep moving and will approach next year differently, not many surprise things you can do within a three week race, just need to play your cards. October will be the time for tactics when next years route is announced beyond the Grand Depart.

Attachments

• GD 111.jpg
    GD 111.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 84

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
They keep moving and will approach next year differently, not many surprise things you can do within a three week race, just need to play your cards. October will be the time for tactics when next years route is announced beyond the Grand Depart.

Oh, brilliant! Cycle to Portsmouth, ferry over, Grand Depart + Sunday's stage! MUCH more convenient than Yorkshire.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Oh, brilliant! Cycle to Portsmouth, ferry over, Grand Depart + Sunday's stage! MUCH more convenient than Yorkshire.

Absolutely - definitely thinking of a weekend with the bikes for this.
They'll be heading in a clockwise direction next year I would've thought - so there is always a chance the race will pass fairly close to Dieppe again which may be another option....? (Unless it heads more SE from the Grand Depart)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here