Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player kit sponsorship price rise

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
well i guess the proof of the pudding will be when we open next seasons programme (even though i have given up buying them) and see how many player sponsorships are still available. you do have to wonder how these decisions are made and whose advice Barber/Bloom take. Anyone could sit in Barbers seat and make decisions on making money and cutting costs - the trick is then listening to the little voice on your shoulder or at the desk opposite that says " yes Paul that would create extra income of £squillion if it didn't also mean that no one would ever come to watch football at the Amex ever again and therefore it s a f***ing bad idea cos we will actually lose money"

beggars belief

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
" yes Paul that would create extra income of £squillion if it didn't also mean that no one would ever come to watch football at the Amex ever again and therefore it s a f***ing bad idea cos we will actually lose money"

beggars belief

Something of a contradiction??

It's not actually an easy job but getting the right balance of price/margin and volume is something that some at the club do seem to have difficulty understanding. As has been said before 1901 will be an interesting problem to tackle next year, particularly if we have another shambolic season

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Something of a contradiction??

It's not actually an easy job but getting the right balance of price/margin and volume is something that some at the club do seem to have difficulty understanding. As has been said before 1901 will be an interesting problem to tackle next year, particularly if we have another shambolic season

i don't think it was a contradiction. i am saying the same as you, albeit less eloquently. its easy to dream up schemes to increase revenue or cut costs with no regard for the consequences which (as in this case possibly) mean that your actions have the opposite of the desired effect.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i don't think it was a contradiction. i am saying the same as you, albeit less eloquently. its easy to dream up schemes to increase revenue or cut costs with no regard for the consequences which (as in this case possibly) mean that your actions have the opposite of the desired effect.

I agree

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Strikes me as a big shame - I've been lucky enough to go to the sponsors dinner a few times (both in the Withdean and Amex eras) and have always had a really enjoyable, relaxed and informal evening.

The awards dinner just doesn't strike me as having the same ambience.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Strikes me as a big shame - I've been lucky enough to go to the sponsors dinner a few times (both in the Withdean and Amex eras) and have always had a really enjoyable, relaxed and informal evening.

The awards dinner just doesn't strike me as having the same ambience.

Same here. I liked the fact the kit sponsorship was, seemingly, aimed at fans firstly.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Same here. I liked the fact the kit sponsorship was, seemingly, aimed at fans firstly.

This is the most upsetting thing about the whole saga.

The old scheme ensured that a group of mates could club together and sponsor a player (NSC, NSP, etc etc), knowing that they will have a few hours with that player in the relaxed surroundings of the sponsors dinner. I've been to a few, as a sponsor and as an NSC draw winner and the evenings are brilliant. The players love them as well, because they actually like talking to 'proper' fans, believe it or not. It will now be the preserve of those (companies) who pay the money as a tax dodge, rather than fans who pay because they love the club.

With a 25 man squad, the difference in revenue is what, £6/7,000. Is it really worth it, to further alienate the fans in the pursuit of the corporate dollar.

Pretty poor from the club, IMO

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

The old scheme ensured that a group of mates could club together and sponsor a player (NSC, NSP, etc etc), knowing that they will have a few hours with that player in the relaxed surroundings of the sponsors dinner. I've been to a few, as a sponsor and as an NSC draw winner and the evenings are brilliant. The players love them as well, because they actually like talking to 'proper' fans, believe it or not. It will now be the preserve of those (companies) who pay the money as a tax dodge, rather than fans who pay because they love the club.

With a 25 man squad, the difference in revenue is what, £6/7,000. Is it really worth it, to further alienate the fans in the pursuit of the corporate dollar.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. We have too many people at the club who know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Anyone could sit in Barbers seat and make decisions on making money and cutting costs -

Incorrect, anyone can cut costs that is easy, what is much more difficult is increasing revenue. where has that happened?
However, the lack of 'market research' in that no'one above appears to have been sounded out (views to be considered in the decision making process and ignored or otherwise) is the most ignorant aspect of the whole affair

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

That's only half of the maths though, Unc

£7,000 additional revenue (IF he's right) but also the saving of the full cost (and effort) of putting on the dedicated sponsors' dinner.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

£7,000 additional revenue (IF he's right) but also the saving of the full cost (and effort) of putting on the dedicated sponsors' dinner.

Indeed.

I understand that, but the sponsors dinner was fast becoming the final BASTION of the club's proper close link to the fans.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Indeed.

I understand that, but the sponsors dinner was fast becoming the final BASTION of the club's proper close link to the fans.

Only correcting your maths. Everything else, I understand.

Although looking at it from a business perspective (yes, I know, how DARE they) take away the corporate sponsors, and you are actually talking about 100 or so fans, rather than 'the fans'. Much as we'd love them to, they are not going to make decisions based on the preferences of 100 of 20,000 people. Also, while sentiment on this thread does suggest otherwise, SOME of those 100 people might actually like the idea of attending the awards dinner.

On a broader question, why is it that NSC has decreed that every 'good' initiative is Tom Gorringe's, and every 'bad' one is Barber's?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Incompetence in the accounts department

Let's hope it was incompetence. Several times over. Hmm.

Coming from any company on the planet, that would be a dreadful way to behave. Coming from Brighton and Hove Albion FC, it's nothing short of disgraceful.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
On a broader question, why is it that NSC has decreed that every 'good' initiative is Tom Gorringe's, and every 'bad' one is Barber's?

I would guess that whilst no-one really knows what's involved in Paul Barber's job many think they could do it better regardless, whereas no-one seems to be sure what Tom Gorringe's is (yet) so he's free of judgement.

It probably won't last long.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
However, the lack of 'market research' in that no'one above appears to have been sounded out (views to be considered in the decision making process and ignored or otherwise) is the most ignorant aspect of the whole affair

I've sponsored players kits for more than ten years now, I've not heard any questions about it, changes, or been asked for any suggestions or opinion. I've always written/emailed every year after the dinner and thanked them, because every time it has been superb.

They're going to have to foot the bill for 100+ odd extra people to attend the end of season awards dinner, which is usually a step up in the quality of offering. Also which is usually priced at around £80 a head, which won't be payable by the kit sponsors.

Indeed.

Damn right, and as has been said before, the players enjoy it for that reason, well, except Vicente who probably moved his fastest at the Amex when told he could leave the dinner!

I'm undecided still, I like being a 'sponsor', we love the kit sponsors dinner, and we usually go to the awards dinner too. This way we effectively pay the same as we used to, but for only one end of season event.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I've sponsored players kits for more than ten years now, I've not heard any questions about it, changes, or been asked for any suggestions or opinion. I've always written/emailed every year after the dinner and thanked them, because every time it has been superb.

They're going to have to foot the bill for 100+ odd extra people to attend the end of season awards dinner, which is usually a step up in the quality of offering. Also which is usually priced at around £80 a head, which won't be payable by the kit sponsors.

Damn right, and as has been said before, the players enjoy it for that reason, well, except Vicente who probably moved his fastest at the Amex when told he could leave the dinner!

I'm undecided still, I like being a 'sponsor', we love the kit sponsors dinner, and we usually go to the awards dinner too. This way we effectively pay the same as we used to, but for only one end of season event.

Stand with the people or sell your soul to the suits. Judgement day is upon you.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

How well does the awards thingy do on sales? Is it a sell out?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Only correcting your maths. Everything else, I understand.

Although looking at it from a business perspective (yes, I know, how DARE they) take away the corporate sponsors, and you are actually talking about 100 or so fans, rather than 'the fans'. Much as we'd love them to, they are not going to make decisions based on the preferences of 100 of 20,000 people. Also, while sentiment on this thread does suggest otherwise, SOME of those 100 people might actually like the idea of attending the awards dinner.

True, but if folk did they could have chosen to pay the money to go. With the increase folk are now paying for award ceremony attendance whether they want to go or not.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
True, but if folk did they could have chosen to pay the money to go. With the increase folk are now paying for award ceremony attendance whether they want to go or not.

Agreed, last season I paid £950 to sponsor Paddy McCourt. Unfortunately I was working abroad the day of the sponsor meal, so some friends went instead. By all accounts an amazing time was had by all, the players were fantastic and a credit to themselves and the club (again Kemy mentioned in dispatches) and everyone left with a smile on their face.

If the players want to spend one less evening with a bunch of us lot I fully understand, but what I don't appreciate is the club trying to claim we're getting an enhanced deal for an extra £200 when all I see is a dilution.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here