Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the worst offer a major brand has tried to get your business with?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Marketing people for you!

At Tesco they very kindly display the special offers but they aren't always what they seem. For weeks they have yellow price tags showing a 500g of McVities Digestives on special offer. Instead of £1.09 you can get two packets for £2.00, a whopping saving of £0.18. However, immediately next to them on the shelf are twin packs for £1.89.

That sort of thing is a regular occurrence online. A while back I wanted some onions. Their specially advertised "special offfer" was a bag of three onions for £1. Individual onions however were 30p each. :facepalm:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
My bruv in Aberdeen swears blind that one of his mates took out a tracker mortgage deal a number of years back that pegged his mortgage at 2% below the Bank of England's Base Rate and that, as a result, for the past few years his mortgage company has been forced to send HIM money every month. So he gets constant phone calls pleading with him to consider switching to an alternative deal. To which the answer is obviously 'Thanks But No Thanks'. Might be an urban myth but I like to think of it as true :lolol:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I hate BOGOF. I had a huge row with the wife over 2-4-1 toothpaste a few years ago. I was muttering about how stupid it is as I only wanted one tube, suggesting that if they value my custom or want to encourage me or whatever they should sell it for 50%. Wife started having a go at me for being a knob, so in a fit of pique I picked up a single tube and marched to the till. The cashier pointed out I could have another tube for free which just kicked off the argument again but this time with the wife and a cashier against me. It's a jungle out there at times.

THIS in bundles.

I'm regularly having the same type of argument. About the things that we don't need a lot of. Washing powder tablets for example. We have 3 boxes under the sink. One box lasts over a month yet she still keeps buying them. And toothpaste. The one thing on this topic I don't argue with her over it is deodorant. Rightguard is always on offer so I have have the whole range at any one time in the bathroom.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I've had a Sainsburys local open up within a stones throw of home which is handy. A deal they run a lot is on strongbow. In the fridge there's a 4 pack for £3.75 but buy 2 for £7.00. But on the shelves there can be a box of 10 for £8.

So in theory I can buy 10 cans and save a quid.

But I don't need 10 cans of an evening so am quite happy spending £7 rather than £8. And the 2 for £7.00 are already chilled as they've been in the fridge in the shop. The box hasn't. So I can crack on as soon as I get in rather than having to chuck a couple in the freezer and wait half an hour to start drinking.

She just doesn't understand I can not spend an extra pound and still have exactly what I'm after.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here