Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mings to Bournemouth for £8million

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Ipswich were asking for £10m for him earlier this year... as Luke Garbutt hasn't gone to Bournemouth on loan yet, will be interesting to see if Mings heading there changes Martinez's plans. If Bournemouth are making that sort of investment in a player, I'm presuming their intention isn't to leave them on the bench game after game. If that was the case, wouldn't mind Garbutt on a season long loan. Otherwise wouldn't mind Marcus Olsson, 27 year old Swedish international who can also play on left wing and is available on a free as his contract has expired with Blackburn, also has a vague connection with Hughton as he signed his twin brother Martin for Norwich.

*Olsson was Blackburns player of the year last season btw.
Blimey what's going on at Blackburn? Releasing their best player and signing Leon Best; are they Iin the shit?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
And here I was thinking that Eddie Howe was a good manager, but just like all the rest he has fallen into the trap of spending money like water when he is given some. Why not try sticking with the team that got you promoted Eddie? You know, that team that you got playing really well and know each others game? He will be gone by Xmas.

They all do it most of the time, break up the team that got them there.

This deal will only look good if it turns out Mings is the real deal and Man City or Chelsea buy him in 2 years for £20 mill.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Reminds me of Saints splashing out £12M on Gaston Ramirez as soon as they got promoted.
Hardly set the world alight

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
P
Ipswich were asking for £10m for him earlier this year... as Luke Garbutt hasn't gone to Bournemouth on loan yet, will be interesting to see if Mings heading there changes Martinez's plans. If Bournemouth are making that sort of investment in a player, I'm presuming their intention isn't to leave them on the bench game after game. If that was the case, wouldn't mind Garbutt on a season long loan. Otherwise wouldn't mind Marcus Olsson, 27 year old Swedish international who can also play on left wing and is available on a free as his contract has expired with Blackburn, also has a vague connection with Hughton as he signed his twin brother Martin for Norwich.

*Olsson was Blackburns player of the year last season btw.

Luke Garbutt is bang average. I hope we can do better.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And here I was thinking that Eddie Howe was a good manager, but just like all the rest he has fallen into the trap of spending money like water when he is given some. Why not try sticking with the team that got you promoted Eddie? You know, that team that you got playing really well and know each others game? He will be gone by Xmas.

Because that team contains a fair few very ordinary players who happened to get lucky by finding themselves at a club just as it was on the rise & full of confidence.

Brett Pitman was no more likely to play in the Premier League than I am. Fraser is about the sixth best winger at whatever their stadium is called this month (also has an abnormally sized head and a misplaced sense of gravity). There are others in their promotion-winning side who won't be good enough and who will be swiftly replaced with a "thanks but see ya" by far more expensive recruits, including, I reckon- sorry to say it- Tommy Elphick. Steve Cook might hold his own up there. But I just can't see Tommy being good enough to stand up to Sanchez, Aguero, Rooney et al.

I think they'll do OK as a team, FWIW, but they'll decimate the promotion winning squad to achieve that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Tommy could very well go the same way as Dean Hammond - captaining a team to Premier League promotion but is immediately jettisoned.

(Although I was pleased Hammond got a bit of Premier League experience with Leicester in the end)

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Because that team contains a fair few very ordinary players who happened to get lucky by finding themselves at a club just as it was on the rise & full of confidence.

Brett Pitman was no more likely to play in the Premier League than I am. Fraser is about the sixth best winger at whatever their stadium is called this month (also has an abnormally sized head and a misplaced sense of gravity). There are others in their promotion-winning side who won't be good enough and who will be swiftly replaced with a "thanks but see ya" by far more expensive recruits, including, I reckon- sorry to say it- Tommy Elphick. Steve Cook might hold his own up there. But I just can't see Tommy being good enough to stand up to Sanchez, Aguero, Rooney et al.

I think they'll do OK as a team, FWIW, but they'll decimate the promotion winning squad to achieve that.

I don't disagree with any of that. My point, though, is that teams get promoted, not individuals, but as soon as a team goes up it appears to get decimated. Sure, any successful team will maybe change 2 or 3 players a season, but the fashion these days is to change at least 10. The gap between the top of the championship and the bottom of the PL is not that great and I cannot see how clubs justify it really. But each to their own. Just means they will be back in the Champs with an even higher wage bill.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Maybe. But- annoyingly- I could easily see Bournemouth doing better than, say, Leicester, next season, probably Watford too. There may well be three worse teams than them. Smug Eddie does seem to be able to get the best out of limited players.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
People said Elphick wasnt good enough for the Championship didn't they???? Eddie Howe, at Bournemouth (I make this point because I dont think he could do it anywhere else), has the knack of getting the very best out of his players. He's said he will give them all a chance in the Premiership and there will be one or two, written off as not being up to it, who will make the grade. He will also use the clubs enhanced resources to bring in well sourced, carefully selected new players. They will pay over the odds to get the right players and who is to say these players wont succeed at Bournemouth? I think they'll do ok in their first Premiershit season and much as I dislike Howe as a person (smug, arrogant, smarmy, always gets the benefit of dodgy decisions against us etc etc etc) its difficult to knock his success and the way he goes about things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here