Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Starting line up against Forest...

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Love how you have a go at the defence when it was the 6th best in the league...
18 goals !.....nothing like over doing it, sure they made some errors, but everyone does.

Our problems are clear, and its scoring goals. A new front 3 is required.

Both were linked, our defensive record was not down to the 4 across the back but the 9 behind the ball tactics we play, the actual defence is creaking at the seams and getting slower by the day. With playing 9 behind the ball all with the pace of a sloth we failed to attack with any intent hence lack of goals. We need to rebuild the defence to allow more players to actually attack and a huge injection of pace.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Pointlessly, needlessly negative thread.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Meh. This is the thread I've been dreading. It shows we're getting ever closer to the start of the season.

I'll only be happy when we've signed a few more bang average 3 month loan signings, as that will definitely prove a statement of intent to satisfy our tiny season ticket holding fanbase of just 21,000, and fully justify Paul "let me write a long winded email in response to some triviality to show how much I care" Barber's meagre £400,000 salary.

Sammy Ameobi is a terrific start, but he can't play centre half when Dunk has gone. We'll need someone who doesn't give a shìt, to tuck in alongside 53 year old Gordon Greer.

We'll also need a really quite useless fullback or two, ideally one with behavioural issues and an attitude problem as cover for our slow, old foreign first choice players. What's Joe Mattock doing these days?
:lolol:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Both were linked, our defensive record was not down to the 4 across the back but the 9 behind the ball tactics we play, the actual defence is creaking at the seams and getting slower by the day. With playing 9 behind the ball all with the pace of a sloth we failed to attack with any intent hence lack of goals. We need to rebuild the defence to allow more players to actually attack and a huge injection of pace.

All teams defend with 9 behind the ball, its how you break out when you recover the ball that counts, we are too slow in possesion still.

I remember Bournemouth and all of those top sides with plenty behind the ball when we played them.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Assuming the worst case scenario in which we make no singings of substance over the Summer and sell Dunk, what do folks see as being our starting line up against Forest?

Here's mine:

Stockdale
Calderon, Greer, Rea, Bruno
Baldock, Stephens, Kayal, Ince, March
O'Grady

Top 6 finish? Not a hope but with 4-6 decent quality singings maybe..

We need at least 4/5 first teamers otherwise that team will be bottom 3 imo

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
Oh FFS! Another whinging, doom and gloom thread. I wonder how some people on NSC ever make it out of bed in the morning.

The new recruitment team with CH at the helm would have made a pretty piss poor start if we sign no players between now and the beginning of the season so just chill out and be patient. The transfer window isn't even officially open yet so why not take a couple of weeks off and watch the cricket or Wimbledon something.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Oh FFS! Another whinging, doom and gloom thread. I wonder how some people on NSC ever make it out of bed in the morning.

The new recruitment team with CH at the helm would have made a pretty piss poor start if we sign no players between now and the beginning of the season so just chill out and be patient. The transfer window isn't even officially open yet so why not take a couple of weeks off and watch the cricket or Wimbledon something.
:lolol:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Stockdale

Bruno-Greer-Dunk-Calderon

Lualua-Kayal-Stephens-March

O'Grady-Baldock​

That looks OK to me, not great having Calderon at left back but he'll do a job. No need to panic at the moment.

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Meh. This is the thread I've been dreading. It shows we're getting ever closer to the start of the season.

I'll only be happy when we've signed a few more bang average 3 month loan signings, as that will definitely prove a statement of intent to satisfy our tiny season ticket holding fanbase of just 21,000, and fully justify Paul "let me write a long winded email in response to some triviality to show how much I care" Barber's meagre £400,000 salary.

Sammy Ameobi is a terrific start, but he can't play centre half when Dunk has gone. We'll need someone who doesn't give a shìt, to tuck in alongside 53 year old Gordon Greer.

We'll also need a really quite useless fullback or two, ideally one with behavioural issues and an attitude problem as cover for our slow, old foreign first choice players. What's Joe Mattock doing these days?

you know them tablets the doctor gave ya.......eat the lot of 'em....:shootself:

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
My team I feel that we can't keep playing Bruno and calderon at right back I feel it's time to replace them with a quality younger right back

Stockdale
New right back
Dunk
Greer
New left back
Stephens
Kayal
Ince
New winger
Baldock
New forward

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Joe Mattock is about to lose his place at Wednesday. I don't rate him.

Stephen Ward I do rate.

I expect a basic shape of 4-2-3-1.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
My pet hate these threads. WAIT TIL WE KNOW WHAT PLaYERS WE HAVE FFS :lol:

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Stockdale

O'Grady-Baldock​

That looks OK to me, not great having Calderon at left back but he'll do a job. No need to panic at the moment.

Not sure I agree with looks okay. Wasn't that the team which was the worse left in the division but for 3 points deducted from Rotherham? Or most of it.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Stockdale

O'Grady-Baldock​

Where are the goals going to come from? And that line up still seriously lacks pace.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Not sure I agree with looks okay. Wasn't that the team which was the worse left in the division but for 3 points deducted from Rotherham? Or most of it.
Stephens was injured for most of the year, Kayal didn't sign until January and wasn't match fit. March was also injured on and off for most the year, Stockdale was inhibited by his bulk early on. A proper preseason should see these lot in a better light.

We'll obviously add to the squad in the summer so the chances of my team being what we put out are negligible, but as a basis to work from/add to its alright. Barry Lloyd had a wholesale clear out and rebuild in 87 which went really well, but usually the most successful teams build on what they've already got.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Where are the goals going to come from? And that line up still seriously lacks pace.
I'm pretty old school, I like 4-4-2. I like wingers, I like target men and little nippy players playing off them. In my world Ogrady will be setting them up for Baldock to put away.

I'm sure most will disagree.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here