Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Naylor tweet regarding new striker....it's Sammy Ameobi!,,

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Speaking to a Newcastle season ticket holder about this, he doesn't rate him at all, may produce the odd moment of magic but if anything it's more of a moment of luck. Clumsy also. To me I think this would be a poor signing and I hope we don't sign him. Cardiff are trying to get rid of Le Fondre, why not put a bid in for him.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Speaking to a Newcastle season ticket holder about this, he doesn't rate him at all, may produce the odd moment of magic but if anything it's more of a moment of luck. Clumsy also. To me I think this would be a poor signing and I hope we don't sign him. Cardiff are trying to get rid of Le Fondre, why not put a bid in for him.

Totally agree with the first part of this - dont agree about Le fondre though, the last thing we need is another vertically challenged striker

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

Le Fondre is 30 and no re-sale value at all thats why, plus I dont think he is all that, certainly cant play as a 1 up top.

Ameobi is 23 and is ideal for the left side of a front 3 in my opinion, with regular game time Ameobi will improve and may earn us a pretty penny in the long run.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm not in anyone's gang.

Stephen Ward and Adam Clayton were verified by the Argus.

Were they ?
Naylor's story was the trio were "expected to sign" - "with more to come" both were true.
On that Saturday in August when the story ran, they were. Baldock signed. Bloom/Barber admitted subsequently that they, by then, had resolved the issues re: Wolves fee and expected Ward to sign and haven't denied it in public re: Clayton. He was a target in the January window and a target in Summer window. And there were more [signings] to come at that point.
It was a perfectly valid and good story for the Argus and stood up by Naylor.
As it happens, Clayton was gazumped by Middlesboro and Ward by Burnley right at the very last minute. So what. These things happen. Not the Argus fault.
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/11383490.Trio_expected_to_sign___and_there_could_be_more/

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've seen him play a lot as I live up in the North East and see Toon play quite a bit in the last 5 years.

He's a confidence player, who when on song is extremely skilful for a tall, gangly lad.

Will never be as prolific in front of his goal as his brother though and is pretty easily knocked off the ball.

I think he'd do well at Championship level in the right circumstances - but not as a main striker.

Should know better than to come on here spouting your opinions based on having actually seen him play several times........[emoji3]

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Were they ?
Naylor's story was the trio were "expected to sign" - "with more to come" both were true.
On that Saturday in August when the story ran, they were. Baldock signed. Bloom/Barber admitted subsequently that they, by then, had resolved the issues re: Wolves fee and expected Ward to sign and haven't denied it in public re: Clayton. He was a target in the January window and a target in Summer window. And there were more [signings] to come at that point.
It was a perfectly valid and good story for the Argus and stood up by Naylor.
As it happens, Clayton was gazumped by Middlesboro and Ward by Burnley right at the very last minute. So what. These things happen. Not the Argus fault.
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/11383490.Trio_expected_to_sign___and_there_could_be_more/

And there's your issue, highlighted. If you are going to say something as ridiculous as "must be verified by the Argus" at what stage has that happened? Is it when the club has actually verified it - in which case what's the point - or when they print a story saying someone is "expected to sign" and tweet the same (notice you haven't linked the accompanying Naylor tweets).

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
My thoughts on this news are as follows

I havn't seen that much of him but when he has played in the Premiership he has been a bit out of his depth. That said the gap between the defenders he comes up against in the Premiership and what he would come up against in the Championship is massive.

Alan Pardew said he should be a star but he isn't. Maybe thats down to the fact he hasnt got any consistency yet. For the last 2 years, Newcastle have been a struggling Premiership side and playing in those sort of sides it is hard for anyone to shine, especially young players.

Taking all of the above into account I wonder if this could be a brilliant signing in the making. It also has the capacity to go badly wrong if he doesnt make the grade; however, for me I agree with one of the other posters. I think this is the type of player we should be taking a chance on. If we can get him signed permanently then he has the potential to go dramatically up in value.

There is a place for the tried and trusted steady players in the team but we also need players who can change a game coming from the bench or starting quickly in a match. Thats what is going to be the difference between a mediocre season and a potentially very good season.

So in short, with me I am not won over by this news yet but I am prepared to be won over once he starts playing.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Whenever I've seen him play I have been underwhelmed.

This.

Also, I struggle to shake the view out of my mind of Newcastle coming down here in the Cup, and resting most of their first teamers. There you go kids, THIS is your chance, and they stank the place out. Most of them looked like they would rather be back in the stands collecting their wages from there. It didn't leave me thinking that the ethos at Newcastle was particularly healthy and that the group of young players at the club weren't all that hungry to get on in their careers.

That combined with Shoala having never really trained on from being a promising youngster, he has gone on to just about do enough for another contract but no more. I've seen nothing from Sammy to suggest he is going to be any better, or any more hungry to succeed.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
To be frank, he's bloody useless, and if he's going to be our secret weapon, God help us.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
He's a striker right?

No, he's a wide attacking player, not a striker. He's always looked a little clumsy when I've seen him and doesn't seem to have a good first touch or close control. Crossing doesn't seem to be a strong point either and he's a bit lightweight.

That said, he does have moments of improvisational skill but these seem few and far between. I guess he's never had a decent run of games and maybe with time he'll improve. We'll see.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Le Fondre is 30 and no re-sale value at all thats why, plus I dont think he is all that, certainly cant play as a 1 up top.

Ameobi is 23 and is ideal for the left side of a front 3 in my opinion, with regular game time Ameobi will improve and may earn us a pretty penny in the long run.

Of course, we have all these youngsters coming through that we have spent a shed loads of cash on a state of the art training ground for, so to be honest we only need to fill in the next couple of years with journeymen and ageing players.

The future is bright, the future is Lancing training complex!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here