Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

10,000 dogs and puppies to be eaten on Sunday in China

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Probably driven by poverty and hunger, .

or Fear. If a 3 1/2m, 800lb Tiger was kicking around my neighbourhood, I'd probably kill it (well, to be precise, I'd hide and get someone else to kill it). The debate about its endangered species nature would have to come later.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
You are correct but the same could be said of lots of countries. Us Brits went to lots of countries and demolished the local flora and fauna, it only in recent times that we have learnt from it. Dogs are not an endangered species though but by all means protest against their mistreatment.

There was something on BBC1 recently about the factory farming of dogs for pets in the UK and whilst I only saw trailers for it, it seems that we are willing to turn a blind eye to this practice if it means that we can purchase puppies cheaply.

I campaigned hard against this while I lived in Wales, with some success, we had a lot of the farms closed.
it is with some shame that I can tell you most were owned by the English.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Here in Korea they don't wait for a festival to enjoy their dog soup - there are thousands of restaurants that serve it every day. The locals believe it makes men virile. I'm sure the animals are treated horribly, as are all commercially reared animals in all countries.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It's not the eating of dogs I am objecting too, it's the horrific abuse of them that upsets me. If half of the photos and stories I've seen over the last few days about Yulin are true, then something really needs to be done to stop it. Burning and boiling the dogs alive to 'add flavour' for example.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/a...-to-slaughter-10000-dogs-20150616-ghouxx.html

That's just your standard animal rights spiel, find a couple of photos of some extreme cruelty and make that it's what EVERYONE is doing. You can do the same thing for any animal, anywhere in the World, it doesn't make it right but it gives you a very WARPED view of the reality.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
That's just your standard animal rights spiel, find a couple of photos of some extreme cruelty and make that it's what EVERYONE is doing. You can do the same thing for any animal, anywhere in the World, it doesn't make it right but it gives you a very WARPED view of the reality.

Hence why I said 'if half of it is true'. With the amount of coverage it gets I am inclined to believe there is a fair amount of this going on though. Is there any counter argument to say this isn't happening to balance it out?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
As much as I love my pooch,

I don't see why dogs should be treated differently to other animals.
d8f38a6d081370bf9e8d8f7fc4229c90.jpg

SteveTheSeagull

I AM A CRIPPLED ALICE FAN
Feb 14, 2015
One thing i don't get is how you find eating dog/cat unacceptable but eating Cow, Chicken, Pig, Deer, Turkey and many of animal acceptable? It's hypocritical. Personally any kinda eating of meat is unacceptable.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Anyone who with a straight face willfully guzzles down pig cow and chicken whilst casting scorn upon the Chinese for eating dog is a fool. Either you are in (to eating meat) or you are out. The same with the welfare of the animals.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Anyone who with a straight face willfully guzzles down pig cow and chicken whilst casting scorn upon the Chinese for eating dog is a fool. Either you are in (to eating meat) or you are out. The same with the welfare of the animals.
This is a good point. Sentimental lot we British aren't we?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The main feeling I'm getting from this thread is that maybe I'm missing out on some really TASTY meat.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
As much as I love my pooch,

I don't see why dogs should be treated differently to other animals.
d8f38a6d081370bf9e8d8f7fc4229c90.jpg

Seeing the picture I would hate to see that spit roasted as much as you would.

A suckling pig being spit roasted, on the other hand,would look normal. It shows how we are conditioned.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
This, from a country, whos Government appears to be considering the re- legalisation of the right to run wild dogs to exhaustion, and then, rip them to pieces while still alive by other dogs, specifically bred for the act. All for enjoyment

Hypocrisy doesn't quite cover it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here