Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

10,000 dogs and puppies to be eaten on Sunday in China

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Hopefully it's over by Thursday when I'll be in China. I've eaten most things from monkey and snake to giant ants and witchety-grubs but never been offered dog

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Oh come on, where did you pull that one out of, you get a bit of rustling over here too.

I am dog owner and if I could snap my fingers and stop it and end all animal welfare issues I would, but surely you can see with this one it is hypocrisy of the highest order.

It says it on the petition.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
We have bred dogs over thousands of years to be loyal & loving companion animals. The other creatures you have mentioned have been bread for food, they don't trust us! Dogs have innate trust of humans, there is something upsetting about breaking that trust and understanding. I do understand your point though, should all animals not be treated equally?

Fair point. Not enough of a reason to stop this festival though, imo. I'm sure that a small amount of dog stealing is going on as well, which should be stopped, obviously.

Though it is my understanding that the tastiest dog meat is bred specifically for it's meat.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
This dog festival is an absolute obscenity, it's not just the eating of dogmeat that is an outrage, it is the callous torture and violence meted out to the unfortunate dogs as well. Go check out the festival for yourself if you want to see humanity at its worst.

It is an utterly sickening event.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
This dog festival is an absolute obscenity, it's not just the eating of dogmeat that is an outrage, it is the callous torture and violence meted out to the unfortunate dogs as well. Go check out the festival for yourself if you want to see humanity at its worst.

It is an utterly sickening event.

What an unfortunate nickname. Do you think they sell that?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
He did, but he also flagellated himself with daffodils, so whilst I admire his music, I don't always agree with his point of view.

I agree daffodils are for girls and Morrissey. He should have self flagellated with a horse whip.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Why is a dog different from a pig, a cow, a chicken etc? Either object to all animals being eaten or none at all. Object to poor animal welfare if that is going on, and it probably is. But don't just tell some people in China that they cannot eat dog, because you think they are cuter in some way than other animals people happily eat.

I've not looked at the background of this, but if the animals are tended and killed humanely (and that may be a big IF) then I agree and I say that as someone who is both a vegetarian and a dog lover.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Why is a dog different from a pig, a cow, a chicken etc? Either object to all animals being eaten or none at all. Object to poor animal welfare if that is going on, and it probably is. But don't just tell some people in China that they cannot eat dog, because you think they are cuter in some way than other animals people happily eat.

PS. I am expecting an awful lot of thumbs down for this opinion, it is not going to be popular.

The only incorrect part of this is your last sentence, because you're spot on.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

THE CHINESE WILL KILL OR HAVE KILLED ANYTHING.
tigers (any breed)
elephants
rhino's
and if it is endagered all the better

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
tigers (any breed)
elephants
rhino's

That's terrible. I guess the people here thinks that it is OK because it's to eat and we shouldn't interfere with them. I'm glad you signed, glasfyn :D

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I've not looked at the background of this, but if the animals are tended and killed humanely (and that may be a big IF) then I agree and I say that as someone who is both a vegetarian and a dog lover.

The animals are treated terribly. Some of the things that happen to these dogs are totally unacceptable and extremely cruel. The thing is though animal welfare is extremely poor in China for all animals, food or otherwise. If this was a petition about pressuring China to treat all of it's animals better than I am sure we would all be on board. In fact the way they treat humans in China leaves an awful lot to be desired too. I guess that is the point I am trying to make, why just dogs, and why just in one part of China, for one week.

This festival actually includes cat meat as well. So add the fact that this petitioner chose to ignore another pet animal from the list of the saved makes it an even less worthy protest.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
He did, but he also flagellated himself with daffodils, so whilst I admire his music, I don't always agree with his point of view.

A pedant speaks. Those were gladioli not daffodils.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
The animals are treated terribly. Some of the things that happen to these dogs are totally unacceptable and extremely cruel. The thing is though animal welfare is extremely poor in China for all animals, food or otherwise. If this was a petition about pressuring China to treat all of it's animals better than I am sure we would all be on board. In fact the way they treat humans in China leaves an awful lot to be desired too. I guess that is the point I am trying to make, why just dogs, and why just in one part of China, for one week.

This festival actually includes cat meat as well. So add the fact that this petitioner chose to ignore another pet animal from the list of the saved makes it an even less worthy protest.

This really makes me sick to the core as well.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
We have bred dogs over thousands of years to be loyal & loving companion animals. The other creatures you have mentioned have been bread for food, they don't trust us! Dogs have innate trust of humans, there is something upsetting about breaking that trust and understanding. I do understand your point though, should all animals not be treated equally?

Interesting point, but I wonder if dogs through breeding become 'loyal & loving' or have they always had the capacity to be so, it depends on their own experiences.

On the one hand we have say Staffies that have a bad reputation mainly due to poor handlers and upteen Facebook posts about how loving they really are which seems to indicate that they are not pre-programmed one way or the other.

Would an unknown dog bred for food in China really have personality characteristics of the same breed of a suburban pet here in Engalnd, I somehow doubt it.

Last edited:

SAC

May 21, 2014
tigers (any breed)
elephants
rhino's

You are correct but the same could be said of lots of countries. Us Brits went to lots of countries and demolished the local flora and fauna, it only in recent times that we have learnt from it. Dogs are not an endangered species though but by all means protest against their mistreatment.

There was something on BBC1 recently about the factory farming of dogs for pets in the UK and whilst I only saw trailers for it, it seems that we are willing to turn a blind eye to this practice if it means that we can purchase puppies cheaply.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
tigers (any breed)
elephants
rhino's

Probably driven by poverty and hunger, then perhaps becomes enshrined in their culture, I cannot be sure.

It is such a vast country I suspect different areas have different habits of what they kill and what they eat.

It just seems a little inappropriate to foist upon a nation so diverse from ours our own interpretation of what sustainable food source they should kill and eat.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
As many have said, if it was done humanely then I don't really see an issue with dogs being used for food.

It may be seen as fairly distasteful here but the same could be said of other animals that're eaten around the world (horse, guinea pig). In the same way, I'm fairly certain there would a large swathe of people fairly miffed that we digest large amounts of cow.

All that being said, if the suffering inflicted is avoidable and unnecessary then it's wrong either way. I do struggle to see what an internet petition is going to do though, I can't imagine that anyone with any sway over the event will care, or even learn of its existence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here