Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Definitely best to judge him on a world cup game against the European Champions, rather than on the full season he just had, getting the Golden boot in the Dutch top league and playing in Europe.

Good advice.

I’ve been judging Messi based on his World Cup form and I wouldn’t want him anywhere near an Albion side. He is utter shite. However, this Nigerian Musa guy is World Class! I reckon he’ll go to Madrid or Barcelona for £100m+!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Thank god we had this trio of ***** to stop us in the nick of time.

He is a VERY good player.

Based on what?

The Dutch league, which is at its lowest ebb in the last 48 years?

Anything else appreciated, as for £15m+ I am very much on the fence at the minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Definitely best to judge him on a world cup game against the European Champions, rather than on the full season he just had, getting the Golden boot in the Dutch top league and playing in Europe.

I think Paul Winstanley is safe in his job.

So should we go after players who are top scorers in sub-standard leagues?

I would actually argue that seeing how he plays against premier league opponents is a good way to judge. He did okay, but nothing special, the first game he was very poor.

I’m really not sure on this one, but our recruitment team is exceptional.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

I would actually argue that seeing how he plays against premier league opponents is a good way to judge. He did okay, but nothing special, the first game he was very poor.

Pretty much this. Paul Winstanley and his team have got much more right that wrong, so if they think a player is worth a certain asking price ...

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Here's my two pennies:

- Our recruitment team is generally very good when it comes to identifying players so I have faith that if we are in for him, an underwhelming World Cup in an abysmal hugely unambitious team, playing against Spain & Portugal won't put them off;
- The player identification team is focused on the core data and stats around a player that don't necessarily depend on whom they're playing, so again, they're unlikely to be put off;
- Finally, are we even in for him? 90% of summer transfer rumours amount to the square root of **** all anyway!

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

I would love to see him play against Premier League opponents too. But that's not feasible.
Instead, we watched him play against the European Champions, in 30+ degree heat, after a full season excelling in the 6th-highest rated European league.

I don't necessarily want to sign him as I've got a chip on my shoulder about last time, but to write him off (which is something that plenty have done, if not OTM himself) based upon form at the World Cup is moronic, IMO.

£15 Million aint £15 million in football any more.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I would love to see him play against Premier League opponents too. But that's not feasible.
Instead, we watched him play against the European Champions, in 30+ degree heat, after a full season excelling in the 6th-highest rated European league.

I don't necessarily want to sign him as I've got a chip on my shoulder about last time, but to write him off (which is something that plenty have done, if not OTM himself) based upon form at the World Cup is moronic, IMO.

All fair comment.

But the 6th ranked league, I would suggest must be some way behind the 5 above it.

Dutch football is very poor and probably equivalent to the Championship. Also the European Champions is the level he’d be up against most weeks.

I know I’m arguing against, but am on fence...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
All fair comment.

But the 6th ranked league, I would suggest must be some way behind the 5 above it.

Dutch football is very poor and probably equivalent to the Championship. Also the European Champions is the level he’d be up against most weeks.

I know I’m arguing against, but am on fence...

I trust the Albion's recruitment team to be able to quantify the difference, and the likely benefit any player they target is likely to bring to the team / squad. Creativity is something we need more of, so I'd still be very happy to get him, even at a higher price.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

Izquierdo has been **** in his game so far, as has Lionel Messi. So they both therefore must be terrible players.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I trust the Albion's recruitment team to be able to quantify the difference, and the likely benefit any player they target is likely to bring to the team / squad. Creativity is something we need more of, so I'd still be very happy to get him, even at a higher price.

Yes as per my previous post, we do have a very good recruitment team.

All fair comment.

Dutch football is very poor and probably equivalent to the Championship.

If we were interested in a player who was top scorer in the Champoinship the previous season I wouldn't have a problem with that. Especially if CH and the recruitment team felt he could improve and adapt to life in the Premier League, was reasonable value for money and would fit in with the culture in the dressing room.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Personally never trust a signing from the Dutch league. It's noddy as !

rather la liga, serie a , bundesliga. Anything from Swiss , Austrian , Norwegian , Scottish , Portuguese ( to a point) leagues etc etc etc and its impossible to be know how will do. Often exceptions but lot of flops in England from here.

That said , if we get him then will back him and trust the club.

Good we are looking for extra quality out wide anyway

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here