Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Based on knowing we wasted a lot of time and effort on Nunez and offed Muzza way too soon. Facts not BS. Grow up with the bed wetting comment BTW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But they're not facts! You do not have a clue what happened with the attempt to sign Nunez, no one on here does despite some ridiculous posts in that thread. You have absolutely no knowledge whatsoever how much time we spent on the Nunez transfer, and even if we did spend some time on it, so what? It's part of recruitment, we might well have got him but you don't sign every target, and as we've been told many, many times, we have cluster targets so we would have also been working on other options at the same time.

And based on how much he played and contributed last season, you could say we offed Murray a year or 9 months too late so again, not a fact.

Re: our recruitment of strikers, in the last 5 years alone we've signed Hemed, Murray, Maupay and Connolly in that time, all a success so you can't say we consistently fail in this area. We're no different to every other club at every single level of the game, some will be a hit, some will miss.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Re: our recruitment of strikers, in the last 5 years alone we've signed Hemed, Murray, Maupay and Connolly in that time, all a success so you can't say we consistently fail in this area. We're no different to every other club at every single level of the game, some will be a hit, some will miss.

Don’t think we’ve covered ourselves in glory since hitting the PL though.

Even Maupay is only okay for me, promising first season, nothing more. I think he would benefit from a stronger partner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Batshuayi possibly going to West brom on loan. They are looking pretty solid. Defensive with a little bit up top.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Nunez will be one of several we were/are pursuing - you (nor I) have literally no idea how much effort is being expended on any of them - others may be taking much more effort, just lacking any publicity. We aren’t going to sign every player we want - if we ‘fail’, it’s only ‘wasted’ time and effort with the benefit of hindsight.

Muzza wouldn’t have got any game time this season.......absolutely right to let him go and play football, and get a large chunk of his wages covered - to fund others.

So you are ignoring facts to suit your agenda. Good for you.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Im not going to be one of them who jumps on you for getting frustrated. We all do at times. I get it.

But I will say mate, the Nunez statement above is a very simplistic, its also easy to claim we wasted time now he's at Benfica, but 5 days ago he wasn't, and the player even said when asked by a journo "I don't know anything about Benfica" and we were one of two clubs who were in the running with firm bids for someone who looks like they will be a massive star.

We had our clubs representatives over there (allegedly), who we can assume were doing their level best to try and secure a talented young striker and were acting in good faith, having scouted Nunez. If the agent or Almeria was using us to drive the price up (something that happens in this dirty game), it was they not acting in good faith and wasting out time, not our club. I would like to believe our club did its utmost to secure this promising and talented young striker, but when you're up against stiff competition and especially if player expresses an alternative preference very late in the day (4 days ago that became public). This can happen.

I dont for one second think we wasted time, I'm sure we did all we could for as long as it looked like we may be able to secure him. Its purely an assumption to think we were trying to get him after he said he wanted Benfica..... we may have already walked at that point for all anyone knows. But waste time is a bit baseless and without foundation.

Fair opinion, I suppose. But it is only opinion. As is mine. We were clearly barking up the wrong tree, and were just being used to bump the price and dutifully played our part. The outcome is the proof IMHO.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
That’s all fine and I’m sure he was a hot prospect but I definitely getting frustrated with the clubs approach to strikers. It’s like we think we are smarter than everyone else in this department. The likes of Wilson at Bournemouth, PL experience, recent international, is exactly the sort of stoker we should be in for. Clubs that are very likely to be in and around us already are making bids, where are we? Likewise someone like Watkins, just pay the money and get him in. The points we could lose before mid October by the time a new player is signed and settled in could be the difference between relegation or not.

This is spot on. I touted Wilson at the start of the window and predictably got shot down by the NSC know-it-all mafia. Now Newcastle, a clear rival, are making statements like they want him in before the season starts, whereas we ‘play our cards close to our chest’, and the club-can-do-no-wrong posters stand and applaud the achievement of the square root of **** all again.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Some teams are better at identifying and developing forward talent.

Some teams are better at identifying and developing defensive talent.

We are the latter.

Which is why we need to sign a striker urgently

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Pay the money how? The Albion will have lost £30m plus last season and don’t have unlimited funds.

Watkins is looking for £70k a week which would wreck the Albion’s pay structure and the fee is £22m for a player who has zero Premier League experience.

Paper figures with no substance. Actually Watkins should be our number 1 target. May I remind you that Maupay was at exactly the same stage in his development (at the same club) when we splashed a very similar amount on him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This is spot on. I touted Wilson at the start of the window and predictably got shot down by the NSC know-it-all mafia. Now Newcastle, a clear rival, are making statements like they want him in before the season starts, whereas we ‘play our cards close to our chest’, and the club-can-do-no-wrong posters stand and applaud the achievement of the square root of **** all again.

Just maybe the recruitment team don’t see him as a worthwhile risk (injury prone) or investment. I agree we desperately need at least one striker but I won’t start whinging (and I will) if we haven’t signed anybody by the time the window closes.

You are jumping the gun in slagging the recruitment team and the fans who have faith

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
If the 70k a week expected wages is true it would be absolute madness to even discuss bringing him here. There’s taking a gamble and there’s fecking up everything that the club has been built on. I have my doubts that we’d pay those wages for an established and proven PL striker.

But it is just a rumoured figure. And we are also rumoured to now be paying more than that to our highest earners (which might also be BS). Strikers cost more in fees and wages. We may not like it but it is fact. Sorry Barber.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
We'd have to up Maupay's wages to £70k a week for sure.

So an extra £70k per week on the wage bill becomes a chunk more.

We are definitely smarter than this.

You are making 2 huge assumptions, especially you just take as truth that Watkins is insisting on £70k

Last edited:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
It could also be that we value a good defence more than attack. Our record signing in the Championship was a defender, and our record signing so far in he Premier League has been a defender. We’ve also turned down huge bids, in both the a Championship and Premier League, for our best defensive talent.

This philosophy doesn’t seem to have done us too much harm in the 5 seasons that the current recruitment team have been in place.

It is surely about balance defence and attack. At the moment, we have a top 10 defence, a top 10 midfield, and a bottom 3 strike force, which is a ridiculous position to be in this close to the start of the season.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Pay the money how? The Albion will have lost £30m plus last season and don’t have unlimited funds.

Watkins is looking for £70k a week which would wreck the Albion’s pay structure and the fee is £22m for a player who has zero Premier League experience.
Paper figures with no substance. Actually Watkins should be our number 1 target. May I remind you that Maupay was at exactly the same stage in his development (at the same club) when we splashed a very similar amount on him.

I've suspected all along that [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to football finances. I bet you're far better qualified :lolol:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
£25-30 mill, and just “get him in”

Winstanley and Ashworth are paid decent wedge to scout and look at stacks of options. You think they’re not aware about Watkins or Wilson? We don’t know the exact profiles of the players sort after.

We are also notoriously secretive with everything. For all we know we could be in advanced negotiations with both?

Why haven’t they signed somewhere yet if was just as easy as click fingers and “get them in”?

btw Callum Wilson is 28, so we spend 25 million on him and how long a contract do we give? And that would make him how old after contract? How much is he then worth do you think?

“Exactly the type of striker” easy with someone else’s money isn’t it.

28 is in his prime. May I remind you with have just offed Muzza who was a ‘few’ years older

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Which is why we need to sign a striker urgently

So should we take your first post and sign Wilson, the second post and sign Watkins or the third post and just panic and sign anyone :lolol:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
But they're not facts! You do not have a clue what happened with the attempt to sign Nunez, no one on here does despite some ridiculous posts in that thread. You have absolutely no knowledge whatsoever how much time we spent on the Nunez transfer, and even if we did spend some time on it, so what? It's part of recruitment, we might well have got him but you don't sign every target, and as we've been told many, many times, we have cluster targets so we would have also been working on other options at the same time.

And based on how much he played and contributed last season, you could say we offed Murray a year or 9 months too late so again, not a fact.

I would say it is clear we wasted too much time and effort on Nunez, a target we failed to sign.

It is also clear we have wasted money trying to be clever on Locadia. And Andone is a strange one, talented but not sure how he passed our ‘no dickheads’ rule TBH, so a failure there too. We have only signed 1 striker who has been a success in the Prem years, and that is Maupay, so our striker success rate is shocking.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Speculation is not transfers. Villa, WBA, Fulham, W Ham, Newcastle, Palace and us all say they want a striker and by that logic they’ve all done the square root of **** all, as not one of them has yet secured one. Newspaper links, statements or wishes isn’t securing.

You may think Callum Wilson is perfect, but like the rest of us, you’re not in the BHA recruitment dept and it’s not your money.

Chill mate, on October the 5th you’ll have every right to compare all the above clubs (of which none has yet got one in) and how we did ....... it’s not as easy or simplistic as you suggest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here