Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I get the point :). And you're of course right that comparing success of the transfer window for a promoted club based purely on # of signings on random date (July 4th) compared to rest of Prem is fallacious but hey thats the data we have.

But I just don't know where people expect us to be at this point (July 4th, 10 days out from first friendly, 39 days out from Man City, 2 months or thereabouts til end of window) , how the club isn't demonstrating urgency when obviously its transfer activity remains mostly hidden from us. So arguing we're ahead or behind or not prepared is way way too premature and a bit moot.
Ask me again in August.

OK, OK... all good points... I'm a worrier, you're not... I would like to have seen more progress on signings by now... you think it is all going on in the background... I hope you're right... ask me again before Dusseldorf! ;-)

mattjl15

Mar 18, 2016
ok. here goes. not sure my reading of this for the Albion is Fail to Prepare or Prepare to Fail etc etc.
and hey . Everton aren't messing around.
But as for everyone else. then its BAU i think.

Players signed: as of July 4 2017
via : https://www.premierleague.com/transfers/summer/2017

Arsenal - 1
Brighton - 3 (or 2 if you don't count Josh Kerr)
Bournemouth - 3
Burnley - 0
Chelsea -1
Palace - 0
Everton - 6
Hudds - 3
Leicester - 2
Liverpool -2
Man City -2
Man Utd - 1
Newcastle - 2
Southampton -2
Spurs - 0
Stoke - 1
Swansea - 1
Watford -4
West Brom -2
West Ham - 1

Burnley, Palace & Spurs to be relegated it is then, seeing as signings = survival according to so many on here :facepalm:

And to those saying only 3 teams (the promoted teams) need to strengthen - I'm really questioning how much you follow the Premier League.

To name a few - Swansea, Watford, Burnley, West Ham - ALL need to strengthen after the seasons they had.

The other BIG commodity Brighton have over a lot of the teams in the Prem - genuine togetherness. We have seen numerous Albion players suggesting they've never seen anything like it. They have genuine cohesion throughout the squad.

I firmly believe that spending last season in the Championship - with the same squad - has hugely benefitted us in terms of staying up this year. Now it's all about adding the RIGHT type of player to supplement that.

Have some bloody faith. If this is what happens before the season has ever started - what happens if we lose 3/4 games on the bounce? Are supporters going to start calling for Hughton's head?

Football fans by their very nature are fickle - and a fair few on here are really living up to that statement.

mattjl15

Mar 18, 2016
Yeah one point on that. Every year we aren't in the PL.

You might be able to get away with having players come in late and not be fully versed on the team tactics and their new team mates in the Championship or lower but the PL doesn't allow for that when you have a team like Man City first up.

It's best to have had the new players training and playing as much as possible with their new squad so they can hit the ground running come first game.

You do realise that the first 7 - 10 days of preseason is almost exclusively fitness related right?

So, as long as a player Brighton are hoping to sign, is with a club (or indeed is a free agent and has hired a trainer, which they all do) - then there is 0% reason to worry about that right now.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Burnley, Palace & Spurs to be relegated it is then, seeing as signings = survival according to so many on here :facepalm:

And to those saying only 3 teams (the promoted teams) need to strengthen - I'm really questioning how much you follow the Premier League.

To name a few - Swansea, Watford, Burnley, West Ham - ALL need to strengthen after the seasons they had.

The other BIG commodity Brighton have over a lot of the teams in the Prem - genuine togetherness. We have seen numerous Albion players suggesting they've never seen anything like it. They have genuine cohesion throughout the squad.

I firmly believe that spending last season in the Championship - with the same squad - has hugely benefitted us in terms of staying up this year. Now it's all about adding the RIGHT type of player to supplement that.

Have some bloody faith. If this is what happens before the season has ever started - what happens if we lose 3/4 games on the bounce? Are supporters going to start calling for Hughton's head?

Football fans by their very nature are fickle - and a fair few on here are really living up to that statement.

Nailed it.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
The bunch of lads we have were good enough to get us there.
I say, let's give them a chance to see if they can keep us there.
I think they earned that much last season.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

NOBODY said that signings = survival...

NOBODY said only the 3 promoted clubs need to strengthen...

Other than that, you have some valid points...

You deserve the facepalm you stupidly placed in your post...

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The bunch of lads we have were good enough to get us there.
I say, let's give them a chance to see if they can keep us there.
I think they earned that much last season.

Without strengthening, we WILL be relegated...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
and you know this for certain HOW???

We will go down with a massive sign and whimper and miss the biggest opportunity EVER if we don't strengthen.......this is the time we have the money to invest wisely in top players to give us a chance. Read the dean Hoyle interview on the Newcastle chronicle who basically says exactly this....

mattjl15

Mar 18, 2016
NOBODY said that signings = survival...

NOBODY said only the 3 promoted clubs need to strengthen...

Other than that, you have some valid points...

You deserve the facepalm you stupidly placed in your post...

There are only 3 Prem teams that have a demonstrable need to strengthen to survive... that is the true context CJ... comparing us to top or middling Prem clubs is fallacious... sorry...

Loooooool - you sure? :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Some good points on both sides of the argument I feel. I think what everyone is forgetting though is that with the quality of player we're after, there are going to be multiple clubs wanting to sign that player. We have to WAIT until that player makes up their mind to see if we've won the race for their signature.
We're not talking scraps at the bottom of the barrel like we used to get, we're talking (probably) international players that will improve our squad.

I would rather wait to get a player we really want, rather than buy someone just to fill a hole.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Loooooool - you sure? :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Well, all the other clubs obviously survived in the Prem last season... your above post truly is embarrassing for you... but do carry on...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Oh - and again. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

So, you are certain we will survive without strengthening!!?? Funny how we have already made 2 signings... perhaps the club don't agree with you!... your posts are beyond stupid...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Some good points on both sides of the argument I feel. I think what everyone is forgetting though is that with the quality of player we're after, there are going to be multiple clubs wanting to sign that player. We have to WAIT until that player makes up their mind to see if we've won the race for their signature.
We're not talking scraps at the bottom of the barrel like we used to get, we're talking (probably) international players that will improve our squad.

I would rather wait to get a player we really want, rather than buy someone just to fill a hole.

How does this differ from any other season? We're last in the queue as always! Definitely Champ teams with more attractive propositions that we can't compete with despite our new found wealth. Boo :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here