Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This year the transfer window opens on MAY 17th.

This is because :

- PL clubs have decided to close the window ( for buying ) before the season starts.

- FIFA regulations state the summer transfer window must be open for a minimum of 12 weeks.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This year the transfer window opens on MAY 17th.

This is because :

- PL clubs have decided to close the window ( for buying ) before the season starts.

- FIFA regulations state the summer transfer window must be open for a minimum of 12 weeks.

Very sensible.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With the transfer window slamming open 2 weeks today...

"Hughton does not anticipate the striker situation heading the agenda again this summer."

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...happy_with_record_buy_Locadia_s_Albion_start/

That's not to say no new strikers, just that the focus is elsewhere.

I suspect our premium signing will be in central midfield.

"But he's a player that has settled in really well and I think there's a lot more to come from him."

Having done (or been allowed to do) fook all, so far, he's not exactly got to do much to make that quote come true.
Getting up from the bench, could be seen as a vast improvement.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
With the transfer window slamming open 2 weeks today...

"Hughton does not anticipate the striker situation heading the agenda again this summer."

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...happy_with_record_buy_Locadia_s_Albion_start/

That's not to say no new strikers, just that the focus is elsewhere.

I suspect our premium signing will be in central midfield.

Hmmm I reckon Midfield (replace Sidwell), Winger (replace Skalak), Utility Defender (replace Rosenior), Centre Back (to replace BFG), potentially new Back up goalkeeper (replace Krul or Maenpaa or both) and one or two new strikers (to replace Baldock/Hemed)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
We need to add a CM as a priority on top of what we already have. Then it's about replacing / upgrading players as they ship out. In the following order of priority;

Ulloa
Uwe
Sidwell
Skalak
Baldock
Rosenior
Hemed

I would expect all of the above to leave this summer, but I hope someone asks LR and SS to hang around in the backroom staff.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Hmmm I reckon Midfield (replace Sidwell), Winger (replace Skalak), Utility Defender (replace Rosenior), Centre Back (to replace BFG), potentially new Back up goalkeeper (replace Krul or Maenpaa or both) and one or two new strikers (to replace Baldock/Hemed)

I think Baldock will stay. He is a HGP and a different sort of striker to anything else we have.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Taking out the players out of contract we have the following squad:

Red = Out of contract
Amber = In contract but likely to leave

1 Ryan
2 Bruno
3 Bong
4 ------------------------------->Hunemeier
5 Dunk (HGP)
6 Stephens (HGP)
7 Kayal
8 ------------------------------->Skalak
9 ------------------------------->Baldock (HGP)
10 ------------------------------->Hemed
11 Knockaert
12 ------------------------------->-----------> Maenpaa
13 Groß
14 ------------------------------->Sidwell
15 Not Used
16 ------------------------------->Ulloa
17 Murray
18 Goldson (HGP)
19 Iquierdo
20 March (HGP)
21 Schelotto
22 Duffy
23 ------------------------------->Rosenior
24 Davy Propper
25 Jurgen Locadia
26 ------------------------------->-----------> Krul (HGP)
29 Suttner
38 Mateju (U23)

If all the red and amber players leave we'll have 17 players (assume Mateju leaves the squad). We'll have 8 (Eight) slots to fill. However, only 5 of those can be Non-HGP, as we can't exceed 18.

Where we need to strengthen are:

GK - 1 (we are losing Maenpaa, Krul) - chances are we may re-sign Krul, who is a HGP. Do we need a 3rd choice experienced keeper?
Defence - 2 (losing Rosenior, Hunemeier) Need a replacement for Uwe and then cover for either Bruno / Schelotto or Bong / Suttner.
Midfield - 3 (losing Skalak, Sidwell) for me the key THIS window is to get perhaps 2 strong midfielders plus a better winger.
Attack - 2 (losing Baldock, Hemed, Ulloa) - Need an upgrade on Murray in the same style and perhaps a backup for Locadia. Will depend on the formation we play. Could an U23 cover this?

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Red = Out of contract

1 Ryan
2 Bruno
3 Bong
5 Dunk (HGP)
6 Stephens (HGP)
7 Kayal
11 Knockaert
13 Groß
15 Not Used
17 Murray (HGP)
18 Goldson (HGP)
19 Iquierdo
20 March (HGP)
21 Schelotto
22 Duffy
24 Davy Propper
25 Jurgen Locadia
29 Suttner
38 Mateju (U23)

If all the red and amber players leave we'll have 17 players (assume Mateju leaves the squad). We'll have 8 (Eight) slots to fill. However, only 6 of those can be Non-HGP, as we can't exceed 18.

GK - 1 (we are losing Maenpaa, Krul) - chances are we may re-sign Krul, who is a HGP. Do we need a 3rd choice experienced keeper?
Defence - 2 (losing Rosenior, Hunemeier) Need a replacement for Uwe and then cover for either Bruno / Schelotto or Bong / Suttner.
Midfield - 3 (losing Skalak, Sidwell) for me the key THIS window is to get perhaps 2 strong midfielders plus a better winger.
Attack - 2 (losing Baldock, Hemed, Ulloa) - Need an upgrade on Murray in the same style and perhaps a backup for Locadia. Will depend on the formation we play. Could an U23 cover this?
Is Murray a HGP?

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've adjusted the original post.

So, of the 8 we may need to recruit, 3 MUST be HGP.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Red = Out of contract

1 Ryan
2 Bruno
3 Bong
5 Dunk (HGP)
6 Stephens (HGP)
7 Kayal
11 Knockaert
13 Groß
15 Not Used
17 Murray
18 Goldson (HGP)
19 Iquierdo
20 March (HGP)
21 Schelotto
22 Duffy
24 Davy Propper
25 Jurgen Locadia
29 Suttner
38 Mateju (U23)

If all the red and amber players leave we'll have 17 players (assume Mateju leaves the squad). We'll have 8 (Eight) slots to fill. However, only 5 of those can be Non-HGP, as we can't exceed 18.

Baldock, Hemed and Skalak are in contract next year, but I agree that they will likely go.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I've adjusted the original post.

So, of the 8 we may need to recruit, 3 MUST be HGP.

That doesn’t have to be TOO challenging bearing in mind we will perhaps need a 3rd choice keeper and further defensive cover.

Could see us going abroad for central midfield, striker and a winger and filling out the rest of the squad with a few HGP and a loan

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
That doesn’t have to be TOO challenging bearing in mind we will perhaps need a 3rd choice keeper and further defensive cover.

Could see us going abroad for central midfield, striker and a winger and filling out the rest of the squad with a few HGP and a loan

Yep - Get Nick Powell in midfield and that's 1 good HGP in place.

Krul, if we re-sign him fills another.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I hope we keep Ulloa, I think he's done ok in his brief appearances and he has got more to offer. Would feature more next season bearing in mind Murray's age. He clearly cares about the club a lot too and wouldn't cost a lot.

I imagine Hemed and Baldock will go so a strike force of Murray, Ulloa, Locadia and Adone, with the latter two offering the flexibility Hughton talks about, would make a lot of sense.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Powell
Flint ?
I’d be tempted to keep Rosenior to fill out the squad... HGP, can play a variety of positions and perhaps involve him more on coaching side.

Hmm... as long as we don't expect him to play that much. Seems a wasted place if he (like Skalak) isn't good enough to be relied upon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here