Page 886 of 891 FirstFirst ... 386786836876883884885886887888889 ... LastLast
Results 8,851 to 8,860 of 8910
  1. #8851
    Members GT49er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Gloucester
    Posts
    20,052


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chaileyjem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Scheletto, Gross, March, Izquierdo, Kayal were all tried in various multiple positions (winger/#10, full back/wing back, CM/#10) last season , often for only minutes at a time after subs, but it was rare.
    But Rosenior filled various roles extenstively (full backs, midfield/wing back) for those first 2 seasons under CH. And was the last true utility player.
    And he doesn't do it now but Bruno has played in midfield a few times.
    True - but as you say it was rare - and even more rare last season, and to be honest, 'defensive winger' or 'winger who defends' pretty much includes all the jobs the wingers were asked to do - and I don't think swapping wings is really the same as being a utility player. I think Hughton likes to have specialists; for instance, if he wants a RB, he really does want a RB, not someone who can play RB a bit, as well as other positions. That way he can make sure that he knows that every player knows exactly what he wants them to do.

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #8852
      Members Stat Brother's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      West west west Sussex
      Posts
      42,427


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by GT49er View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      True - but as you say it was rare - and even more rare last season, and to be honest, 'defensive winger' or 'winger who defends' pretty much includes all the jobs the wingers were asked to do - and I don't think swapping wings is really the same as being a utility player. I think Hughton likes to have specialists; for instance, if he wants a RB, he really does want a RB, not someone who can play RB a bit, as well as other positions. That way he can make sure that he knows that every player knows exactly what he wants them to do.
      Last seasons Gross substitutions were odd ones.

      Usually Kayal came on for him, in a straight swap.
      Propper was never moved into his 'international position', with Kayal partnering Stephens.

      It's easy to see all sides of all the scenarios so not really a thing, but even now many on here see Propper and Gross as interchangeable, despite the fact CH has never moved Davy away from Dale.
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      http://app.strava.com/clubs/north-stand-geeks
      Fantasy Vuelta - League Name: NSC Geeks League Code: 68204709

      .
    • #8853
      Members chaileyjem's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2012
      Location
      Chailey
      Posts
      6,337


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by GT49er View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I think Hughton likes to have specialists; for instance, if he wants a RB, he really does want a RB, not someone who can play RB a bit, as well as other positions. do.
      Except When he has the players - (and the need - often injuries force his hand) then he will prefer such players - Rosenior is a case in point. But yep no doubt he has his first choice players and won’t often mix it up. Can hardly say it’s not been working ...
    • #8854
      Members GT49er's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Location
      Gloucester
      Posts
      20,052


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by chaileyjem View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Can hardly say it’s not been working ...
      Wouldn't dream of it!
    • #8855
      Members
      Join Date
      Oct 2013
      Location
      Hanover/Elm Grove
      Posts
      8,165


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Cowfold Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Exceptionally unlikely l would have thought. Does anyone remember when we did last lose both of our first choice centre back pairing?
      Not so sure it was the last time, but we did lose them at a particularly stark moment: the second leg of the Derby play-off. Upson was injured going into the game, and Greer was withdrawn after about 15 minutes. From memory, we ended up with Ward and (a then under-used) Dunk at CB, Chicksen at left-back. We lost. Badly.
    • #8856
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Back in Brighton. Well Hove actually
      Posts
      12,145


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Cowfold Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Exceptionally unlikely l would have thought. Does anyone remember when we did last lose both of our first choice centre back pairing?
      Didn't it happen a few times at the tail end of the promotion season. I remember Tomori and Uwe playing together when Duffy was injured and Dunk was sick.
      First REMF goalscorer - EVER
    • #8857
      Members
      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Location
      Worthing
      Posts
      9,712


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy Tim View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Didn't it happen a few times at the tail end of the promotion season. I remember Tomori and Uwe playing together when Duffy was injured and Dunk was sick.
      QPR away.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • #8858
      Members Albion my Albion's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2016
      Location
      Darlington, UK
      Posts
      4,182


      0 Not allowed!
      What are the true chances of signing anyone today?
      Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow.

      ---- L. Ron Hubbard
    • #8859
      Members Hugo Rune's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2012
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      5,256


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Sounds a bit cavalier to me. What if Dunk and Duffy are both out at the same time?
      Balogun, Moore, replace them with McNair or perhaps one of our brilliant U23 CBs or even Bruno on stand-by. Didn’t happen a lot last season though.
      :guitar:
    • #8860
      Not seen such Bravery! Blue Valkyrie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Location
      Valhalla
      Posts
      20,594


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Albion my Albion View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      What are the true chances of signing anyone today?
      Would be nice to get 1 more in before the World Cup.

      So far, 6 out from the 25 ( including the keepers ), 2 in.
      Out of contract June 2018 : Maenpaa, Krul, Rosenior , Hunemeier , Sidwell , Ince

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •