Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It depends if we wish to continue with the one up top model. Can't help but feel whilst we are after a new striker,, the club may be moving towards a more mobile front man, as we've seen with the recent Andone/ locadia combo in the front 3

Many clubs do seem to prefer pacier players up front now, rather than the old style number 9 target man, Liverpool and Manchester City being just two examples.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Many clubs do seem to prefer pacier players up front now, rather than the old style number 9 target man, Liverpool and Manchester City being just two examples.

I can see why, certainly, with the new flux of pacy centre backs coming in to. Its well know now that players like Glenn are a dying breed, so it'll be interesting to see if we stick with that type of move to something else.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Not sure we need that anymore with the midfield V formation we seem to have adopted.

Groß------------Pröpper ( Bissouma, Kayal )

---------Stephens--------- ( New recruit )

I reckon we now have more need for a player to compete at the point of the V with Stephens.

Thats a good point but Pröpper and Bissouma have both played that position, Bissouma less effectively due to inexperience. I think you are right though a strong DM player would strenghten us more than a cover for the old Gross role. There are a lot of quality England midfield players at youth level looking to get a break at the moment I would like to see us lure one of them to us much like Brooks to Bournemouth.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Thats a good point but Pröpper and Bissouma have both played that position, Bissouma less effectively due to inexperience. I think you are right though a strong DM player would strenghten us more than a cover for the old Gross role. There are a lot of quality England midfield players at youth level looking to get a break at the moment I would like to see us lure one of them to us much like Brooks to Bournemouth.

Why would they come to us when our own quality midfield players at youth level don't get a sniff of action anywhere near the first team squad?

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Why would they come to us when our own quality midfield players at youth level don't get a sniff of action anywhere near the first team squad?

We dont have a DM at that level currently our two most promissing players are both players that can play in the attacking front 3 and goalkeepers.

Edit: at the moment there is a lot of talent sitting at top sides with no chance of a first team start. Many are looking to other leagues in Germany and Italy to get their chance and they wont get it at the club they are at right now.

Whilst I see where those comparisons come from, I don't think he has the level of intelligence that Murray does. Murray is great at buying cheap fouls and is a great reader of the game. Mitrovic is more about brute force.

Would the new player have to commit as many fouls as Murray to fit the criteria ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I'm beginning to wonder whether we were ever looking for a Murray like for like replacement ?

There is no doubt that the recent change to formation is more suited to a quicker more mobile striker and, has been pointed out, more teams are moving this way. The change also makes sense with most of our recent signings. Maybe this was the plan all along and Glenn will be one of the last of the Big strong holding centre forwards for a while, at least.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Every active rumour now torpedoed by Naylor.

Probably because there is nothing going on. Which is a good position to be in.

My guess is now :

OUT : Schelotto
IN : U23 player ( fullback ? )

Zero chance of singing today.
Well it looks like we are bringing in the U23 midfielder if things go well, but I can't escape the idea we'll also bring in an under 23 fullback.

Mac Allister to sing today ? ???

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Maybe this was the plan all along and Glenn will be one of the last of the Big strong holding centre forwards for a while, at least.

Kane, Mitrovic, Lukaku, Rondon, Arnautovic; kind of see them all being versions of the good old fashioned strong big capable of holding up play centre forwards.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Kane, Mitrovic, Lukaku, Rondon, Arnautovic; kind of see them all being versions of the good old fashioned strong big capable of holding up play centre forwards.

Agreed (although they are also reasonably quick and mobile), just doesn't seem to be the way we are heading.

So we'll definitely sign a big, strong centre forward in the next 24 hrs now :wink:

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I'm beginning to wonder whether we were ever looking for a Murray like for like replacement ?

There is no doubt that the recent change to formation is more suited to a quicker more mobile striker and, has been pointed out, more teams are moving this way. The change also makes sense with most of our recent signings. Maybe this was the plan all along and Glenn will be one of the last of the Big strong holding centre forwards for a while, at least.

Gyokeres?

TNBA

TTF

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Not sure we need that anymore with the midfield V formation we seem to have adopted.

Groß------------Pröpper ( Bissouma, Kayal )

---------Stephens--------- ( New recruit )

I reckon we now have more need for a player to compete at the point of the V with Stephens.

True. But it would give us more flexibility. I can’t help remembering how poor we were when Pascal absent through injury earlier in the season. I can’t think of any other position where we don’t have cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
True. But it would give us more flexibility. I can’t help remembering how poor we were when Pascal absent through injury earlier in the season. I can’t think of any other position where we don’t have cover.

Yes, but we didn't use Propper, Bissouma or Kayal as cover for Gross, as per BV's post. CH put March in there instead.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

True, but l sometimes wish that Chris was just a little bit more flexible with his appraoch, I'd like to se Davy Propper play there. It's a role he has performed many times for the Netherlands, and had some success with it, scoring a few goals with some assists too. He has goals in him l'm sure, but he needs to play just a little further forward.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
True, but l sometimes wish that Chris was just a little bit more flexible with his appraoch, I'd like to se Davy Propper play there. It's a role he has performed many times for the Netherlands, and had some success with it, scoring a few goals with some assists too. He has goals in him l'm sure, but he needs to play just a little further forward.

Maybe that is the thinking now, in which case we could sign a more defensive CM and still have cover for everyone

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here