Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
People shouldn't be surprised, since promotion was obtained all the noise coming out of the club was of gradual strengthening.
As far as I can see nothing here has changed, I'm sure the club would love to be further on in the recruitment process but the same could be said of every other team in the PL a glance at the business done thus far in August suggests we're not alone in that respect.
Our unity and spirit is what got us here in the first place and it is that which will enable us to stay here.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
got this feeling after getting mauled by man city by 6 goals that relegation will be certain on here next weekend
No chance, although:-

'We should be beating teams like Leicester' may well crop up :facepalm:

But it's all on the Watford game, a clear 6 pointer, lose that and all hell will break loose.
Loose that with money in the bank and NSC will have the greatest of all binfests on it's hands...

...I'll be lying if I said I wouldn't look forward to that. :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yep. And I'll always follow the club no matter what happens on the pitch. I won't pretend, however, that I'm anything other than crushingly disappointed by the club's preparations for the coming season. I thought we would at least try to be competitive but it looks as if we may be giving up on the idea of strengthening the team before the season has even started, which saddens me greatly.

Well done Zeb. Along with a mass of other fans, quite rightly, you're bloody worried following a dearth of quality transfer activity, despite the club having the huge advantage of knowing its future on 17th April and club income which has just quintripled overnight!

Or as @StatBrother reminded us yesterday, going back a couple of years in terms of player research, as we've been knocking on the door for a couple of years (with only the Hyppia blip). Your support for the club is equal to anyone else's and you're entitled to air your concerns. Keep posting.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No chance, although:-

'We should be beating teams like Leicester' may well crop up :facepalm:

But it's all on the Watford game, a clear 6 pointer, lose that and all hell will break loose.
Loose that with money in the bank and NSC will have the greatest of all binfests on it's hands...

...I'll be lying if I said I wouldn't look forward to that. :lolol:

I think many will still be patient. But if we failed to win against WBA, Newcastle and Bournemouth (which PL 'experts' on NSC have told us are all in the relegation mix, have had a poor transfer window and offer nothing particularly more than us), then a realisation would hit home. The line that will be trotted out then would be "FFS, enjoy the journey, this is what we've dreamt of for 34 years". :facepalm:

Or, we sign the quality strikers, LW, CM and RB by 1 September and all is good.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think many will still be patient. But if we failed to win against WBA, Newcastle and Bournemouth (which PL 'experts' on NSC have told us are all in the relegation mix, have had a poor transfer window and offer nothing particularly more than us), then a realisation would hit home. The line that will be trotted out then would be "FFS, enjoy the journey, this is what we've dreamt of for 34 years". :facepalm:

Or, we sign the quality strikers, LW, CM and RB by 1 September and all is good.
I think 0 points, bottom of the table from 3 games will be more than enough, to send this place over the edge.
I'll be setting up a Red Bull concession outside Mod Towers.

(Inexplicably I also think we'll beat City so it's a moot point anyway).

I've realised I've already fallen into Team To High Expectation, when did Burnley win their first away game? April?
Winning at Watford will be tough, shaking off the last two seasons will be difficult for all of us.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I am concerned... but I also balance that with our previous foray into the top division..... we lost the 1st four games before beating Bolton.... we survived for four seasons before getting scuppered by our Cup final run in the end..... so there is a chance, despite not having the squad ready by kick off next week.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think 0 points, bottom of the table from 3 games will be more than enough, to send this place over the edge.
I'll be setting up a Red Bull concession outside Mod Towers.

(Inexplicably I also think we'll beat City so it's a moot point anyway).

I've realised I've already fallen into Team To High Expectation, when did Burnley win their first away game? April?
Winning at Watford will be tough, shaking off the last two seasons will be difficult for all of us.

One way of venting anger is to hate external forces. Some who refuse to criticise the transfer dealings will instead hate:

1. Officials, after a ref awards a pen to Rashford for a late ManUre winner.

2. Confident/arrogant opponents, after Zaha cups his ear in tucking away Palace's fourth.

3. Opposing managers, after Pulis calls for Dunk to be sent off for elbowing Craig Dawson and the ref duly obliges.

4. Experts on MOTD, the hate figures will be Shearer (he gets the blame for everything from NSC) and Bright (for obvious reasons),

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I am concerned... but I also balance that with our previous foray into the top division..... we lost the 1st four games before beating Bolton.... we survived for four seasons before getting scuppered by our Cup final run in the end..... so there is a chance, despite not having the squad ready by kick off next week.

I thought we lost the first three games (Arsenal, Villa and Man City) before beating Bolton. The difference against Bolton was Mullery giving new signing Steve Foster his debut after keeping faith with 10 of the promotion team in the three defeats.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

One big difference back then, there was no transfer window and you could sign players all the way through the season up until the deadline day in March, which was roughly 6 weeks from the end of the season.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
No fear .

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
People shouldn't be surprised, since promotion was obtained all the noise coming out of the club was of gradual strengthening.
As far as I can see nothing here has changed, I'm sure the club would love to be further on in the recruitment process but the same could be said of every other team in the PL a glance at the business done thus far in August suggests we're not alone in that respect.
Our unity and spirit is what got us here in the first place and it is that which will enable us to stay here.

... except we have far more need to strengthen than 17 other Prem clubs, so our need to strengthen is far more pressing and, we have, so far, failed to do so... it is all just too slow... sorry...

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
So much negativity on here. This is why the bookies make so much more profit nowadays on people cashing out their bets.

Grow some balls and leave running the football club to the experts.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So much negativity on here. This is why the bookies make so much more profit nowadays on people cashing out their bets.

Grow some balls and leave running the football club to the experts.

What!? Even when the said experts are failing to land the required players timely... the very players they publicly say they need... no, I won't follow your advice, thank you...

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
... except we have far more need to strengthen than 17 other Prem clubs, so our need to strengthen is far more pressing and, we have, so far, failed to do so... it is all just too slow... sorry...

No need to apologise, the spectrum of opinions on here is what keeps the place fresh and interesting. This thread as a case in point. We seem to have the whole spectrum of grief within a few pages.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Another problem surfaces:

The club are on record saying we still need a first-team squad keeper, RB, CM & ST, so why is the Argus now only talking about a keeper (lowest priority IMHO) and striker (highest)?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

The club are on record saying we still need a first-team squad keeper, RB, CM & ST, so why is the Argus now only talking about a keeper (lowest priority IMHO) and striker (highest)?

To be fair they are saying these two positions are top of the wanted list, so I read that as they are still looking for others.
Still not confident in the clubs ability to bring all of them in I'm afraid.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

Yes, I saw that and wondered whether we might have done a January deal for Netto contingent on him coming through his op and rehabilitating successfully. So now an August CM signing isn't a priority. Risky, if true of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here