Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
A shrug of the shoulders, as I've watched us in all four divisions before. Obviously, I want us to stay up but there's nothing you or I can do about it, apart from supporting the team.
We have to trust the recruiting team, and management. Hughton has been treated badly by two clubs previously in the Premier League because they got impatient. He didn't get relegated with either of them.

So sweet...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
PSG already have a world class squad. We do not.

Clearly not as they'd win the Champions league every season.
They haven't which is why they've coughed up for Neymar.
But your logic insists it's a waste of time as their season starts in a few days?

What is the logic of saying Albion must get their business done in June or July or no top 6 (you said that last season) or relegation (this season) regardless of who they sign or don't sign in August.
But it doesn't apply to anyone else ? - Spurs ? Burnley ? Newcastle ?

It's nonsense. Isn't it ?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
But what if that player wasn't available until late in the transfer window? Would we have been better buying an inferior player on 15th July or waiting to get the one we want at the end of the window. Arguments either way but let's say for arguments sake we can get Delaney on 31st August or we can get someone inferior now - which do we go for? I'd suggest Duffy made the difference to our promotion and waiting for him was the right thing to do.

It's a very good point, but one that can only be made under the belief that we can procure better quality later in the window.

Our very first signing, that was agreed even before the window had opened, is in my opinion the best piece of business we have done thus far. I'm trying to rein in my excitement for Gross so I'm not left disappointed, but he looks absolute quality and surely is an exception to the theory?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Brilliant, and very much aligned to my thinking and posting for weeks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same question as I just posed then - if the player we really want is only likely to be available at the end of August due to the selling club needing to buy a replacement first and however much money we offer we can only get them then, would you prefer us to buy an inferior player in mid-July and have a chance to settle in or wait till our chosen player is available. I don't think either answer is necessarily correct but I'd be interested which you think is the better option - an inferior squad ready for the new season or a better squad ready at the end of August?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But your logic insists it's a waste of time as their season starts in a few days?

What is the logic of saying Albion must get their business done in June or July or no top 6 (you said that last season) or relegation (this season) regardless of who they sign or don't sign in August.

Good point about August and other clubs still to spend.

Real outspend everyone else to win the CL. That doesn't preclude clubs such as Juve, PSG and Man City as having world class squads.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
It's a very good point, but one that can only be made under the belief that we can procure better quality later in the window.

Our very first signing, that was agreed even before the window had opened, is in my opinion the best piece of business we have done thus far. I'm trying to rein in my excitement for Gross so I'm not left disappointed, but he looks absolute quality and surely is an exception to the theory?

Absolutely - obviously in an ideal world we'd have done all our business in the same way and I agree that it's by far the best bit of business we've done. As you say, we will only know at the end of the window whether it was worth waiting - if our top 3 targets for example all fail to arrive then I guess it's a gamble that failed - just shows how hard the recruitment thing is.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As have I, but we differ slightly in that I think our business and recruitment decisions are there to be challenged as they have been under previous regimes. Football wise I totally agree that Hughton has earned himself 2 piss poor seasons (which I don't think will happen) before we should even consider another manager, I just want him to be given the tools to consolidate our position amongst the elite.

I should note that I myself would be quite happy watching us as a Championship club in perpetuity because it's the most exciting domestic league for me, but football is now hugely money orientated and if we want to club to progress further, as TB clearly does, then we need to somehow establish ourselves in this ridiculous league as many other clubs have done without the strong groundwork and structure we have in place.

By all means challenge the club, but Nsc is just a sounding board, not a challenge. We know the club do look at some of the contributions here, but they wouldn't consider it to be a challenge.

The Fans Forum is one place to challenge them, but many people don't bother going.

The club asked fans to complete a survey, but out of 30K attendees, only 3500 responded, giving the club a seal of approval. Does the club actually feel challenged?

https://twitter.com/OfficialBHAFC/status/893036854731264000

[tweet]893036854731264000[/tweet]

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2017/august/albion-fans-matchday-seal-of-approval/

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Seems to be your favourite point to make lately. I should ask you, are the many managers (including our own) who use every opportunity they can to suggest that getting players in early for a pre-season is massively advantageous just exaggerating? or being insincere?

Same question applies having brought in player/s late in the window, managers will again use every opportunity to suggest that X is taking some time to adjust and acclimatise to the personnel/system/area and needs time. Just excuses?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Seems to be your favourite point to make lately. I should ask you, are the many managers (including our own) who use every opportunity they can to suggest that getting players in early for a pre-season is massively advantageous just exaggerating? or being insincere?

Same question applies having brought in player/s late in the window, managers will again use every opportunity to suggest that X is taking some time to adjust and acclimatise to the personnel/system/area and needs time. Just excuses?

It's all about degree and nuance. Hughton would have preferred to have done all his business early of course (although he he has 20 other players) and I'm sure it helps. Who on earth thinks otherwise. ?
Happy to debate , for example, the merits of Gross arriving in August rather than June.
But arguing that doing your business in August or at the end of the window like everyone else means the season is a write off, relegation is confirmed, as some continue to do and believe , is just hyperbole not worthy of debate.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I should note that I myself would be quite happy watching us as a Championship club in perpetuity because it's the most exciting domestic league for me, but football is now hugely money orientated and if we want to club to progress further, as TB clearly does, then we need to somehow establish ourselves in this ridiculous league as many other clubs have done without the strong groundwork and structure we have in place.
I agree that the Championship is exciting, and bearing in mind where the Albion have been for the many years I've been following them, it's not a bad place to be. The problem, however, is that playing in the Championship costs TB around £10M a year, give or take a bit - and that's unsustainable.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
It's all about degree and nuance. Hughton would have preferred to have done all his business early of course (although he he has 20 other players) and I'm sure it helps. Who thinks otherwise.
But arguing that the season is a write off, relegation is confirmed as some continue to do , as business isn't complete and is unlikely to be , until the end of the window is just hyperbole not worthy of debate.

Agreed, but it just seems one extreme or the other on here. Either there is no benefit whatsoever to getting players in early, or we are doomed ad infinitum because we've left it late. It's hard to find a middle ground amongst the debate.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I agree that the Championship is exciting, and bearing in mind where the Albion have been for the many years I've been following them, it's not a bad place to be. The problem, however, is that playing in the Championship costs TB around £10M a year, give or take a bit - and that's unsustainable.

Its more than that unfortunately. 26m last season (2015/16 figures). And presumably north of that for 2016/17 pre- promotion given the signings (Duffy) and big new contracts for Dunk etc.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I look for this thread every morning.
Love its mix of pathos & bathos; hope & despair.
Then I reflect on its title and I think.........yeah that's about right!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

My logic is they'd destroy us 9/10 games. The fact they are in the CL obviously highlights that massive gulf in talent.

Why are you comparing us to clubs who have performed better than us? We need to be focused on our squad, a squad that is one of the weakest in the PL as it stands.

Yes it's nonsense thinking we have all the time in thew world to improve OUR squad. What other squads are doing is irrelevant given we'll be lucky to be able to score a goal given our bog average striker situation at present.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Its more than that unfortunately. 26m last season (2015/16 figures). And presumably north of that for 2016/17 pre- promotion given the signings (Duffy) and big new contracts for Dunk etc.
£26M now, is it? - OK, fair enough. Doesn't invalidate my point though; in fact, it basically makes it stronger!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here