Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gomez staying at Liverpool to fight for his place
Looks like another option coming to a close

Winstanley's nose must look like a punch drunk old boxers with the number of doors being slammed in his face :wink:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Winstanley's nose must look like a punch drunk old boxers with the number of doors being slammed in his face :wink:

Makes you wonder why they kept chasing get them when it became clear neither him or Abraham wanted to join us. Thank we are now down to the dregs

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I can understand the thought process (sort of) when it comes to September 1st, but you have to be taking the piss saying we're fine until January.

Most NSC'ers are still 'cool as a cucumber' in yesterday's survey. It's still only July.

The general consensus is that we need to give the amazing group of promotion players a chance, that we've made astute signings so far (and each is an improvement), with plenty of time left.

Should Plan A leave us in trouble, all is not lost, with the 31 January second bite at the cherry.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Most NSC'ers are still 'cool as a cucumber' in yesterday's survey. It's still only July.

The general consensus is that we need to give the amazing group of promotion players a chance, that we've made astute signings so far (and each is an improvement), with plenty of time left.

Should Plan A leave us in trouble, all is not lost, with the 31 January second bite at the cherry.

31 January is far too late. We'll be well adrift at the bottom of the table by then without significant additions ideally before the new season starts. It would be delusional to think otherwise.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Absolutely! Still hoping to see a couple more top class signings, sooner the better - but panic? No chance!

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
From the outside it does appear we've wasted significant time chasing signings that had little chance of succeeding. My fear is that we are down to choice 3 or 4 on the priority list now and the club may be tempted to let it go to the wire and hope better options become possible. I can understand that approach but starting the season without at least another PL level striker and midfielder will be a critical mistake.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
From the outside it does appear we've wasted significant time chasing signings that had little chance of succeeding. My fear is that we are down to choice 3 or 4 on the priority list now and the club may be tempted to let it go to the wire and hope better options become possible. I can understand that approach but starting the season without at least another PL level striker and midfielder will be a critical mistake.

The club would have had a long list of candidates for each position. Those players we publically sought were just one of many per position.

I didn't consider Mooy a loss myself. I thought he'd be loyal to Wagner and his promotion teammates, and also stay housed in that part of the world. Better the devil you know. We weren't a step up to make it all worth while. So just a nice try by Winstanley.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
So, this thread has sprung into (gloomy) activity on the basis that Gomez has said that he wants to stay at his club and fight for his place six weeks before the transfer window SLAMS SHUT.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So, this thread has sprung into (gloomy) activity on the basis that Gomez has said that he wants to stay at his club and fight for his place six weeks before the transfer window SLAMS SHUT.

There's been some positive stuff. Someone posted that Gomez may want that now, but if VVD signs for Liverpool, he himself might have to gain experience on loan. As you indicate, a lot will change on 6 weeks.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There's been some positive stuff. Someone posted that Gomez may want that now, but if VVD signs for Liverpool, he himself might have to gain experience on loan. As you indicate, a lot will change on 6 weeks.

Yup, including, potentially, Gomez's mind. Pretty sure VVD will leave Southampton, and his most likely destination remains Liverpool.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Yup, including, potentially, Gomez's mind. Pretty sure VVD will leave Southampton, and his most likely destination remains Liverpool.

I suspect you are right. Question is can they/will they wait given that even VVD moves there is no guarantee we will get Gomez even then? Others are interested after all. A difficult position for the club and probably one of many.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

There is a slightly worrying parallel with three years ago, when nothing seemed to happen for ages, then a series of generally undewhelming signings.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here