Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Did we get confirmation of Maenpaa re-signing? Seems weird for him to be in the training camp and yet be technically out of contract. I'm not sure we need another keeper I'd rather give youth a chance, and go with Sanchez as our 3rd. It would free up an all-important squad place in the 25. Not that we're even filling up the 25 yet mind.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
It might alternatively be that the better players are signed quickly and those whose CV is less impressive get left to the end. Don't think either is true, TBH. Perhaps more important is the 'trickle down' effect: that the top teams need to get sorted with their own squads before they will countenance selling or loaning - that seems to be case with Gomez, for example. We were on the other end of that with DS last season; Burnley made the acceptable offer too late for us to replace him.

I am in neither the 'it will be alright on the night' camp nor in the 'f*** me, can we just not sing someone' camp. What will be, will be. We have to trust TB and the team because there ain't another option. It might be OK, it might not.

The recent argus article has quotes from CH which suggests we have targeted Suttner and a couple of loans so I guess our business is late because the focus is mainly on loans to keep funds in the kitty and get value for money

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The other twist in it is the ether player you attract early the more attractive you can sell yourself to future players .

Players won't want to come if they know they are likely to be in the championship within a year and have more upheaval . Showing intent and ambition also a factor to attracting others .

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Not really concerned by the article to be honest, standard straight bat responses from CH.

Only comments are about players who we have made bids for that haven't been successful yet, I very much doubt the club are going to give anymore away about other targets they are working on in fear of alerting other clubs.

I still expect us to sign a couple more before the season starts and another 2 or 3 between then and the end of August.

The recruitment team haven't got a lot wrong recently and seem to do a great deal of research before we go in for a player, for example we were talking to Groß over a year ago. Therefore I still believe there is some mileage in both the Suttner and the Delaney deals, they just might be the ones that don't get over the line until near deadline day.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not really concerned by the article to be honest, standard straight bat responses from CH.

Only comments are about players who we have made bids for that haven't been successful yet, I very much doubt the club are going to give anymore away about other targets they are working on in fear of alerting other clubs.

I still expect us to sign a couple more before the season starts and another 2 or 3 between then and the end of August.

The recruitment team haven't got a lot wrong recently and seem to do a great deal of research before we go in for a player, for example we were talking to Groß over a year ago. Therefore I still believe there is some mileage in both the Suttner and the Delaney deals, they just might be the ones that don't get over the line until near deadline day.

Suttner and Delaney, would be small change out of the £100m additional annual income. Shirley TB and bigger plans than that?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Suttner and Delaney, would be small change out of the £100m additional annual income. Shirley TB and bigger plans than that?

How much of the £100m to income is already spent on those improved contracts / wages for Hughton + squad. Announced over last 12 months.
Our losses in 15/16 alone were £20m+ , will be a lot more in 16/17.

There's money for new players I'm sure but Albion , thanks to Bloom, have been spending in anticipation of promotion. Will curtail type and cost of player we are in for.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It might alternatively be that the better players are signed quickly and those whose CV is less impressive get left to the end. Don't think either is true, TBH. Perhaps more important is the 'trickle down' effect: that the top teams need to get sorted with their own squads before they will countenance selling or loaning - that seems to be case with Gomez, for example. We were on the other end of that with DS last season; Burnley made the acceptable offer too late for us to replace him.

I am in neither the 'it will be alright on the night' camp nor in the 'f*** me, can we just not sing someone' camp. What will be, will be. We have to trust TB and the team because there ain't another option. It might be OK, it might not.

Perfectly put.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This is the last paragraph from today's The Argus article. Can anyone make any sense of it?

Meanwhile, Albion fringe players Kazenga LuaLua, Rohan Ince, Richie Towell and Rob Hunt are all destined to join Portsmouth or Wigan-bound Christian Walton as loan departures.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
This is the last paragraph from today's The Argus article. Can anyone make any sense of it?

Meanwhile, Albion fringe players Kazenga LuaLua, Rohan Ince, Richie Towell and Rob Hunt are all destined to join Portsmouth or Wigan-bound Christian Walton as loan departures.

LuaLua, Ince, Towell and Hunt are all going to be loaned out as well as Walton, who is going to be loaned to Portsmouth or Wigan.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton

I thought they were all going to Pompey at first! All going out on loan I guess, that is a very poorly constructed sentence though.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Think in a poorly written (Argus style) sentence, they mean Walton is going out on loan to either Portsmouth or Wigan, the others as mentioned will also be going out on loan, but probably not to Pompey & Wigan - hope that clears that up!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

LoL, I had to read it twice.......

Portsmouth are our development team

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
LuaLua, Ince, Towell and Hunt are all going to be loaned out as well as Walton, who is going to be loaned to Portsmouth or Wigan.

It's badly worded.

LuaLua Ince Towell and Hunt are joining Portsmouth according to that article.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Walton is Wigan-bound* in the next day or so (Pompey are bringing in a 21yr old keeper from Spurs)

*More news that Naylor hasn't been given permission to share yet

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
Of course, but I'd imagine they are the deals we know nothing about at this stage.
We can only hope so.... but I get the feeling that we are encountering a few obstacles..... for whatever reason.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here