Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Mooy not as good as Stephens and vastly overpriced.

Debatable. I would take Stephens any day of the week but not cut and dry in a lot of minds. Also an irrelevant debate to have since we need more central midfielders.

Mounie played in a struggling Ligue 1 side that finishd just outside the relegtion zone, fidnt we doi th same with COG but it remains to be seen if he will cut it in The Premier but again very expensive.

We recently signed a player who played in a relegated side? Not sure that's a good means to judge, especially as I'm of the belief that it's harder to shine in a struggling team.

Palmer I agree a good signing

Disagree, wouldn't improve our squad.

Williams I dont remember him standing out against us playing for Reading

Disagree, would improve our squad.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I'd imagine he means, COG was scoring goals for a team near the bottom of the division we were playing in. He didn't score goals for us.

Mounie scored goals for a team at the bottom of Ligue 1, the equivalent level to which he's just been signed into (Premier League).

Right, ok. By that logic you'd never be able to sign anyone would you but thanks for the explanation.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Well, we were definitely interested in Mooy, even if we subsequently switched targets to someone we can't land, it seems...

Mounie is a gamble, but I doubt we will be buying a proven PL striker, so I expect we will sign similar, take a similar gamble...

I have always been impressed by Williams when I've seen him play, but note that I said possibly on this one...

Meanwhile, we have replaced our number 1 keeper, and made 1 true addition to our squad...

Do you really think we are keeping up?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I'd imagine he means, COG was scoring goals for a team near the bottom of the division we were playing in. He didn't score goals for us.

Mounie scored goals for a team at the bottom of Ligue 1, the equivalent level to which he's just been signed into (Premier League).

Really, what is the bottom half of Ligue 1 standard really like ?..... i suspect no better than the top of the championship ?

Thats not to say he isnt worth the punt they have taken on him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Right, ok. By that logic you'd never be able to sign anyone would you but thanks for the explanation.

We could, by signing players who have played in a higher standard and at a better level rather than lower as in Williams case or a struggling side as in Mounie and as we did with Knockhaert and Murray when we signed them for our promotion push.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
... especially early in the season when others are adjusting to new players, new management etc.

You are quite right, early season is crucial. If I remember rightly, Middlesbrough did quite well in the first part of last season, and then crashed as the season went on.

Even more reason to pay a bit more, get the players in early, and hit the ground running.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Really, what is the bottom half of Ligue 1 standard really like ?..... i suspect no better than the top of the championship ?

Thats not to say he isnt worth the punt they have taken on him.

My point is that they have spent their record amount on a striker as we did wirth CMS and we all know what happened then. People are in awe of Huddersfield because of the money they they have spent not the proven quality of players they have bought. They could be proved to be good signings but equally they may not and I am sure that CH is looking for more proven players rather than take too much of a chance on
possible successes.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
My point is that they have spent their record amount on a striker as we did wirth CMS and we all know what happened then. People are in awe of Huddersfield because of the money they they have spent not the proven quality of players they have bought. They could be proved to be good signings but equally they may not and I am sure that CH is looking for more proven players rather than take too much of a chance on
possible successes.

absolutely, but proven quality comes at an even bigger price generally.

I am absolutely sure we will get some excellent signings in. Relax people.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Mooy not as good as Stephens and vastly overpriced.

Mounie played in a struggling Ligue 1 side that finishd just outside the relegtion zone, fidnt we doi th same with COG but it remains to be seen if he will cut it in The Premier but again very expensive.

Palmer I agree a good signing

Williams I dont remember him standing out against us playing for Reading

So in a nutshell would only have been interested in Palmer.

I'd compare Stephens with Hogg and Mooy with Kayal.

Reading made a tactical mistake against Brighton playing something like a 4-3-3. Lets hope PL teams make he same mistake! Williams is more suited to a 4-2-3-1 as in the play-off final.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
19 days since the last singing.

No wonder anxiety is building.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
God I am so worried that we are playing catchup, grow up you lot. Over half the teams have made no signing yet and we have made 3? Huddersfield have brought championship players. Go away on holiday and come back end of August and chill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
We could, by signing players who have played in a higher standard and at a better level rather than lower as in Williams case or a struggling side as in Mounie and as we did with Knockhaert and Murray when we signed them for our promotion push.

We can't sign players from a higher standard, BG. We are in the top flight. So if you don't want players from "struggling" top flight sides then you want top talent from top clubs. We don't have the money or the pull.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I wasnt in the least bit worried but then i came on here and now im positively panic stricken

Innit. The voice of the doom-laden few can seep into all of us via repetition. I can see myself, with pitchfork, outside an innately fiendish paediatrician's surgery if this carries on much longer.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
If the latter is true, then he is not doing his job properly IMHO...

He fell out with the club post the Garcia home truths and the Argus was more or less out of the circle of trust and therefore not given any exclusives or nods by the club.

Looks to me like any articles specifically linking the club or dismissing the links are now entirely club sanctioned to keep the peace and retain that inner sanctum status.

But as you say for me that's not doing the job of an inquisitive local journo because they should be uncovering scoops/exclusives.

Maybe it's just impossible for them to do that in the social media age?

From Bigtomfu on another thread:

Not saying I agree with all of that, but most of it hits the spot IMHO...

Thanks, had been meaning to chuck this here too.

You know what - I'll actually agree with you on something.

I think Huddersfield have now filled the gaps from their loans last year - and then some.

Williams on a free is a very good piece of business, while Mounie looks a decent buy for £10m. Always difficult to gauge strikers from other divisions, but he's big and strong and grabbed 14 goals in Ligue 1.

Still not worrying, as Huddersfield buying players doesn't equate to us not buying - but I think they've filled the gaps quickly and any additional signings from now will likely see them stepping ahead of us.

It's not so much the volume or the quality but the speed of execution and areas they've identified targets from.

They have done broadly what I would - secured their top objectives quickly - Mooy and the other chap they had on loan - then moved to execute a plan on other people identified from markets they perceive to offer best VFM - Germany, France and seemingly Denmark.

This is exactly what I thought we would do. Now for me the question has become were the targets too ambitious for year one of the PL? (Delaney being a prime example.)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This is exactly what I thought we would do. Now for me the question has become were the targets too ambitious for year one of the PL? (Delaney being a prime example.)

We don't quite know what to make of Delaney as an example. But what of the examples of Gross and Ryan?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Our quest for 'value' continues...Luxembourg 2nd Div full of rough diamonds I hear that no one else is aware of...all these PL rivals signing players for 10m plus are just fools when we're signing unknowns for a snip that will ROCK the PL!

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
We don't quite know what to make of Delaney as an example. But what of the examples of Gross and Ryan?

A good if not spectacular start.

Already with Ryan we've seen words to the effect of 'The Argus understands the Albion will be looking to have three competitive squad members for the GK jersey' so can surmise that Ryan Isnt explicitly number one.

Personally I just expected us to fly out of the blocks with 4/5 core squad members and 2/3 marquis signings - of which Delaney would be one and A.N.Other Striker would be the second.

I'm not saying we've been under prepared but we've certainly been gazumped in the case of Abraham (morally I agree with club's stance of not paying the family/agent fee in this case) and perhaps with Haraguchi and Delaney been too ambitious for our budget.

To my mind it's a pivotal two weeks in the window. Does TB stick or twist?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here