Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
What's happening with Tammy Abrahams these days? He would be a good back up as a loan? (without the stupid fee this time)

With Murray surely coming to the twighlight of his career, should we not be looking at his long term replacement?

Someone like Danny Welbeck would be a good fit. Welbeck is a good age at 27 and has only one year left on his contract at Arsenal. The two major drawbacks to him being a viable target are his wage, currently £70k a week, and his injury record. Realistically he is almost certainly not an option, but he is the type of player we should be looking at to fill Murrays boots when he does finally decide to hang them up.

Last edited:

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
We got through most of last season with just Murray and Hemed. Buying a 5th striker just because 2 of our options have short term injuries seems a bit silly imo. There is nothing to suggest either will be out for an extended period of time.

Even if we were to bring someone in (which I think is highly unlikely), Chris probably wouldn't give them any playing time for at least another 2/3 weeks after signing. By that time Locadia and Andone would probably be back and the problem you brought a striker in for is gone anyway and we are sat with 5 players competing for just 1 spot which is a recipe for disgruntled players.

And there is the cost of another striker, plus likely non HGP problem, so all in all sounds like a plan....

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Cos they pluck names from the ether and don't think about it...it is stupid or lazy or both.

No not really fella, he is obviously someone we were interested in from last year and just because he didn't smash it with Swansea, doesn't make him a bad player.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What's happening with Tammy Abrahams these days? He would be a good back up as a loan? (without the stupid fee this time)
Would be a great option to have and young enough to not count in the 25.

Wants a PL loan not championship so his choice is somewhat limited.

The thought of speedster Murray and lightning Hemed as our only 2 early season options is disconcerting.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
His star is waning fast. Yesterday's hopeful young prospect. Season in the Championship will be make or break - if that's what he gets.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Criticising a new striker (Andone) who hasn't kicked a ball for us yet for being an "unknown quantity" seems a tad unfair to me...

Muzza deserves a lot of credit for his first Prem season with us too... yes, we know what we will probably get, and that is goals...

Not really sure 'unknown quantity' counts as a criticism. But his record is hardlly prolific. There's a mild criticism for you.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Andone is only an 'unknown quantity' because he hasn't played for us yet. So we should get someone else in. But then they will be an unknown quantity. So we should get someone else in... etc.

I take your point but we have Murray locadia and andone. Hemed will be gone or a squad member. Just worries me.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The thought of speedster Murray and lightning Hemed as our only 2 early season options is disconcerting.

Why? Assuming that both Locadia and Andone do only have minor injuries and will be back within the next couple of weeks there's no problem. Murray has proven himself at this level. He was joint tenth top scorer in the entire league last year(fourth highest Englishman), level with Hazard, Mahrez and Son and above Mane, Morata, Sane, De Bruyne, Rooney, Eriksen, Sanchez, Zaha, Giroud, Martial and many others.

The thought of playing with him up top for a few weeks really isn't the end of the world. Even if Andone and Locadia were fit it would be up to them to dislodge Murray.

He's not getting any younger but have some faith in him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No, not good enough, and why do some people keep harbouring after others rejects?

Cos they pluck names from the ether and don't think about it...it is stupid or lazy or both.

As well as, 'I saw him play well against the Albion, once, so he will be that player forever'.

Actually stupid or lazy fits that bill too, as you were.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I agree with your assessment, but we do only play with one up top, so Murray, Andone, Hemed and Locadia should be enough cover.

However, if we do manage to shift some players and generate some extra funds, and Hemed is one of those we shift, I would think the club would still be open to signing a replacement. Someone to fill the role Ulloa had last season as the back up hold up player.

Tony Bloom has always said that if the right player becomes available he would be open to funding the transfer, so we may yet see some deadline day activity.

Yes, I have previously said we will look for another striker if BOTH Sam B and Tomer H move on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Not really sure 'unknown quantity' counts as a criticism. But his record is hardlly prolific. There's a mild criticism for you.

‘Unknown quantity’ is a criticism when the main thrust of your post is saying you want another striker! BTW I agree with your ‘mild criticism’ that Andone is not prolific.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I take your point but we have Murray locadia and andone. Hemed will be gone or a squad member. Just worries me.

I’m not sure Tomer is off, but if he is, then I’m sure we will push hard for a replacement.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
We got through most of last season with just Murray and Hemed. Buying a 5th striker just because 2 of our options have short term injuries seems a bit silly imo. There is nothing to suggest either will be out for an extended period of time.

Yes. Hughton is targeting Andone for a return v Nice on Tuesday. He also said, last week, Locadia's groin injury was "minor" and was due back in "two weeks'" - so possibly in time for Nantes or if not Watford.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Yes. Hughton is targeting Andone for a return v Nice on Tuesday. He also said, last week, Locadia's groin injury was "minor" and was due back in "two weeks'" - so possibly in time for Nantes or if not Watford.

Thank you CJ. Let’s hope CH’s estimated injury return timings are reasonably accurate this time...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Arce?
Moore?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here