Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your favourite part of London ?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I worked at Guys Hospital for 9 years and spent many an after work hour or more getting shitfaced in the excellent pubs and restaurants around London Bridge. Also quite like Greenwich, Blackheath and Dulwich.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
I like where I work in St Pancras and it was such a dump when we first moved there 16 years ago. There is so much contrast in a small area; Bloomsbury on one side of Euston Rd, very quiet areas to the north like Chalton St and the Pancras churchyard; streets full of people just off the Eurostar by the station and new places opening up all the time. .

Yeah I work at St Pancras Hospital and it's getting a lot better. Still not braved the Cock (pub) in Summerstown yet though!!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Richmond is the nicest part of London to live but I do like the area north of Oxford Street they call Noho / Fitzrovia.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Used to enjoy much of the W1 area when I worked in London, but I reckon Chelsea was my overall favourite area .
As others have said,when I'd had enough, Victoria Station was a welcome sight,getting me home to Reigate via Redhill.
Even East Croydon didn't look too bad as I knew I was nearly nearly there!

burstead

Not a Registered User
Jul 24, 2010
hampstead heath, hackney, bow, regents canal.
used to love camden but hate it now

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Too many differing areas to make a solid choice - but will go with Covent Garden theatre district. Love to look out for celebs!

We in the UK are lucky to have such a diverse place on our shores. Although there are some grotty areas.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Covent Garden area for me too. Ex girlfriend lived in Wimbledon Village which was lovely too (Quite out the way of central I know).

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
the City
my first wife and I used to meet in london, for two years before we married, and used to go there a lot after we were married (we lived in East Acton and travelled in on the tube nearly every evening) we also used to go to the East End a lot as the pubs there were good, then with my daughter on the way we moved to Shrewsbury (boring) then Chemsford (even more boring) but at least that was within striking distance of the West End, then onto Bromley withing striking distance of London and more to the point the Albion ground(Goldstone)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've recently been to Shoreditch and Hoxton a few times after a gap of quite a few years. The landscape and people are unrecognisable from 10 years ago.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Try telling Harry Rednap that or any of the then dockers who worked in the Victoria Docks and drunk in The Connaught Central or Galleons pubs that they are not Eastend Londoners
Is that the harry redknapp who was born in poplar and grew up in stepney, both in the east end proper, as for the dockers , theyre londoners yes, but theyre not east enders , and id happily tell them so.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
W11 - used to live just off Ladbroke Grove when working up there. But then came the Notting Hill movie, the prices skyrocketed and the "I Saw You Coming" types moved in.

Typical of what happened is that the bloke who had the shop that was used as Hugh Grant's in the movie could no longer afford the lease after it came out. And there used to be a great little cafe with proper formica tables just round the corner in Portobello Road. Last time I went by it had become some hopelessly trendy eatery with ridiculous prices. And bacon sandwiches were no longer on the menu.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is that the harry redknapp who was born in poplar and grew up in stepney, both in the east end proper, as for the dockers , theyre londoners yes, but theyre not east enders , and id happily tell them so.

I ran those 3 pubs in the 60s and all the customers who lived in the Prince Regents Lane area considered themselves true East Londoners, perhaps they were all wrong. It was London E16 then.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I've recently been to Shoreditch and Hoxton a few times after a gap of quite a few years. The landscape and people are unrecognisable from 10 years ago.

Visited Shoreditch last December - full of blokes in their 20s dressed in lumberjack shirts or second-hand shop cardigans, skinny jeans, old-school NHS specs and, most important of all, big beards; many of them sitting around in pop-up cafes or bars trying so hard to exude effortless ultra-cool.

Another 'youth' genre whose adherents like to espouse their non-conformist individualism by all dressing exactly the same :sheep:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Visited Shoreditch last December - full of blokes in their 20s dressed in lumberjack shirts or second-hand shop cardigans, skinny jeans, old-school NHS specs and, most important of all, big beards; many of them sitting around in pop-up cafes or bars trying so hard to exude effortless ultra-cool.

Another 'youth' genre whose adherents like to espouse their non-conformist individualism by all dressing exactly the same :sheep:

It was the geezer blokes and Sharon and Tracey's which shocked me most to be honest. That new Shoreditch Overground station has a lot to answer for.

PS do the hipsters you portray actually claim to be non-conformist individuals? I always thought it was the opposite ie they openly and freely follow certain ideas and beliefs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here