Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McLaren: Newcastle 'can be one of Europe's top 10 clubs'

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
They won't be if they concede many 'poor goals'.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Didn't he say that at Derby ?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
He's hardly going to rock up and loudly proclaim that they're likely to be fixtures in the mid-table positions for the forseeabler future is he?

It might be accurate but he's then likely to be lambasted for a lack of ambition and accused of being Ashley's mouthpiece.

Can't believe he decided to go there personally.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
What a plonker. Does he know anything about Europe?

Who, Schteve? Schirley not.

His knowledge of Europe is irrelevant though, isn't it? It's his knowledge of Newcastle and, particularly, Ashley that I question.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am certainly in the minority here but I like him and would be quite happy if he was Albion manager. His teams play exciting football, remember when we did that? Seems a lifetime ago

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I am certainly in the minority here but I like him and would be quite happy if he was Albion manager. His teams play exciting football, remember when we did that? Seems a lifetime ago

Oh - that's an entirely different point. I think he'd make a decent manager for us too. It's just that Newcastle; top 10 in Europe...? Oh stop it, do.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
If anyone could make Newcastle a "successful" club, they would be prime targets for a takeover, they must have one of the most loyal fanbases in the country and Sky seem to have a soft spot for them in terms of tv coverage and positive news.

They seem to have a good scouting network going, and have produced some good local talent in the past.

If, and it is a massive IF, they could get their act together, they could easily be in the same bracket as Spurs, Everton, Liverpool etc.. as regulars in europe via the league, with the odd toe in the champions league if one of the big boys fail.

Currently though, not a chance.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
His knowledge of Europe is irrelevant though, isn't it?
Surely his knowledge of Europe is fundamental to making a statement about how big Newcastle could be within it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
dont think he's far wrong, they have the fanbase. maybe not top 10, there's a lot of clubs across Europe, but they should certainly be able to compete for a European place regularly and build over a decade or so. he wont get that opportunity of course, without investment on the playing side they'll continue to be flirting with relegation each year.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Fishy on a dishy > wally with the brolly > doon with the Toon.

It's the gift that keeps on giving. I hope he makes Janmaat captain, pre-match schmoke and a pancake for Schteve?

Oct 25, 2003
well man city were probably as much of a laughing stock not long before their takeover propelled them into the champions league. Newcastle are a hugely supported club (admittedly in one geographical area) but seem to be allergic to success- having lived there you see how seriously they take their football club and how desperate they are for success

I think top 10 in europe is massively pushing it, but for them to be consistently in the top 6 in England is certainly not an unreasonable claim

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
well man city were probably as much of a laughing stock not long before their takeover propelled them into the champions league. Newcastle are a hugely supported club (admittedly in one geographical area) but seem to be allergic to success- having lived there you see how seriously they take their football club and how desperate they are for success

I think top 10 in europe is massively pushing it, but for them to be consistently in the top 6 in England is certainly not an unreasonable claim

True, Newcastle have a bigger loyal fan base than Man City, as the growing number of empty seats at The Ethihad last season highlights. Newcastle don't need to rely on 'tourist fans' to sell out their stadium, unlike City. They are arguably the biggest perennial underachievers in the English leagues.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
'Large fanbase'.

It often comes up when discussions turn to which teams are considered underachievers and I have to admit that I just don't get why. Why should a large, loyal support (which Newcastle do have) equate to success on the pitch?

Maybe it's being raised in a different era, where we're all well aware that the largest amount of income for a 'big' club comes from other sources, rather than being largely attendance/merchandise focussed, or...I don't know, would very much like to hear other thoughts on it though.

Edit; Apologies for the potential hi-jack here.

Newcastle always seem to have an air of entitlement about being a "big club". Ignoring promotions this would appear to be the last thing they actually won. Texaco Cup Winners 1975.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here