Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton i360 construction update.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I was in regency square last night and from ground level it all looks a bit horrific IMHO.

Maybe it'll be a bit better once all the cranes are gone and it's finished, but i can't see it being anything other than an eyesore.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I've just had a look at the website for the first time. Having read this thread and seen people debating whether it'll make any money at all, the one thing that stands out are the extra bits that aren't being talked about - the restaurant, tea rooms and conference venue.

It's not just ticket sales that will make money back for the project, those things will all be well used I'd imagine. The pod is also a 200 capacity venue/bar, I reckon it'll be in demand for corporate functions and private hire in the evenings.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Nothing like a bit of positivity for a major building project for the city.

Personally, I think it will be a huge success and will look great. David and his wife Julia have a proven track record with an attention to detail that will make this a landmark building. On the London Eye every bit of structure and construction detail was considered and neatly executed.

This really is a minimalist approach to the idea of a city icon and viewing deck. A perfectly cylindrical column with a shaped viewing platform effortlessly rising up and down. Exiting times to finally have something a bit daring, a bit of the Regency experimentation and creative expression back in the city.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Personally, I think it will be a huge success and will look great. David and his wife Julia have a proven track record with an attention to detail that will make this a landmark building. On the London Eye every bit of structure and construction detail was considered and neatly executed.

This really is a minimalist approach to the idea of a city icon and viewing deck. A perfectly cylindrical column with a shaped viewing platform effortlessly rising up and down. Exiting times to finally have something a bit daring, a bit of the Regency experimentation and creative expression back in the city.

Oh come on you've got completely the wrong attitude. Everyone knows that Brighton and Hove should ONLY have Regency and Victorian buildings, anything REMOTELY modern and different must be considered an EYESORE and we should rise up against it.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton

You do realise they struggle to get the ball on the Clock Tower to rise and fall!!! So hope we don't keep hearing the i360 is out of action due to a technical fault.
Having said this am looking forward to seeing it complete. Be great for the city.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was in regency square last night and from ground level it all looks a bit horrific IMHO.

Maybe it'll be a bit better once all the cranes are gone and it's finished, but i can't see it being anything other than an eyesore.
You're right, it won't be better when finished, it will look just as it does now.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The can on the left has the cladding finish attached. Not sure about this as I thought the cladding was going to protect the main structure from the eliments. Potentially impossible to clean unless the pod can jet wash as it is running. I am sure they have thought of something to protect it from rust streaks and mouldy seagull crap though.

cladding.jpg

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The can on the left has the cladding finish attached. Not sure about this as I thought the cladding was going to protect the main structure from the eliments. Potentially impossible to clean unless the pod can jet wash as it is running. I am sure they have thought of something to protect it from rust streaks and mouldy seagull crap though.

View attachment 66322

Scrolling up and down that bloody picture has just given me vertigo !!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
How can any Brightonian NOT be excited by this?

We are watching the construction of an iconic landmark in our city which will be enjoyed by millions of people over generations - decades, maybe even centuries.

I reckon there's a real shift in people's reactions now it's going up; it seems that the weight of opinion is definitely for it now, whereas this time last year it felt a bit 'Argus letters page'.

I reckon it will be great for that stretch, and also for Regency Square & Preston Street which both need help.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Actually thinking about it any smooth surface that could attract dirt and grime could look unsightly, whereas using a grille of expanded metal is probably a smart choice as there isn't a surface for dirt to form on. Assuming it's aluminium it should never rust.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Actually thinking about it any smooth surface that could attract dirt and grime could look unsightly, whereas using a grille of expanded metal is probably a smart choice as there isn't a surface for dirt to form on. Assuming it's aluminium it should never rust.

Maybe. The way I see it though, is that the grille will not protect the inner cans from our salty sea air, so behind the grille I am sure it will rust superficially, although not structurally. Maybe from a distance we would only see the grille cladding and not the rust on the main structure.

The grille will create millions of edges so I am sure dirt will build up on them, unless the pod brushes it automatically during rides. I don't know, not even that important, but interesting to see how the cleaning maintenance works in reality.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
How can any Brightonian NOT be excited by this?

We are watching the construction of an iconic landmark in our city which will be enjoyed by millions of people over generations - decades, maybe even centuries.

Think you very much overstretching it, it may last a few decades, but certainly not a century.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here