Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton i360 construction update.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Brighton must be flatter than I thought, i360 Big Pole is clearly visible from cycletrackside in Preston Drove

Its visible pretty much anywhere if you just walk a few metres in any direction, its from the Sussex CCC cricket pavilion I fear the worst, hordes of tourists waving selfie sticks while we try and concentrate on our fast bowlers in action.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
What are you talking about? Utterly bizarre contribution to the thread, with no discernible meaning or relevance.
I take it you haven't come across desprate before? The NSC equivalent of those really annoying, nonsensical articles that are popping up on websites all over the place. BT Internet is offering me an article about 24 Scottish Delicacies for no apparent reason.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I take it you haven't come across desprate before? The NSC equivalent of those really annoying, nonsensical articles that are popping up on websites all over the place. BT Internet is offering me an article about 24 Scottish Delicacies for no apparent reason.

I have been aware of him...every other thread seems to be started by him, and most are utterly unnecessary as far as I can see.

Usually I ignore them. For some reason I felt obligated to respond on this occasion.

Must try harder.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
What are you talking about? Utterly bizarre contribution to the thread, with no discernible meaning or relevance.

brighton-beach02.jpg

I rest my case.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I was out on a run very early on Sunday morning, and in my half-asleep state was trying to figure out why there were two tall structures with red lights at the top (I was by the Marina, heading west, so didn't have much perspective). Obviously I knew one was i360, but it was only when I got much closer I realised one was the crane...

Anyway, I think it is a magnificent feat of engineering and so bloody tall. I think a lot of the people complaining about the views from it don't realise how high it is.

The other thing I thought was that there is a tower block right near the 'i' that seems almost as tall. Someone's missed a trick by not putting a viewing platform on the top 😂

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Nice sunset tonight. A tenuously linked photo.

Attachments

• Sunset 1 NSC.jpg
    Sunset 1 NSC.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 319

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Nice photo, shame the wheel can't stay there because at night they would both compliment each other.

A lot of people seem to like the wheel. I just don't get it. It's dull and every city has one.

That's partly why I like the i360 so much, as it'll be truly unique its its design and spec abit like our Amex.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
A lot of people seem to like the wheel. I just don't get it. It's dull and every city has one.

That's partly why I like the i360 so much, as it'll be truly unique its its design and spec abit like our Amex.

I've never been on it but I think it brightens up the area. Would look good as part of the coastline at night viewing from the i360.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Whats the crane a bit further over towards hove?
The photo is a bit deceiving. The crane is right next to the i360. It was used to load the cans on to the hydraulic platform.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Not that unique. This is my local one in Rhyl! (Although it's been closed now)

0fb49f744b8b3c1b003d95687baf9fee.jpg

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Thanks to driver8 , I have learned that similar towers have been been built, and failed , at resorts up North.. I.e. Rhyll & Morecombe. After a few years "safety concerns" seem to happen .

If I still lived that way I would feel overlooked..a danger to my privacy. It is interesting to see it, if you are a visitor. For the sake of Current Brightonians I hope I am wrong about it

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Not that unique. This is my local one in Rhyl! (Although it's been closed now)

0fb49f744b8b3c1b003d95687baf9fee.jpg

That's like comparing the Amex to The new den.

Rhyl is 240 ft and ugly and i360 is 450 and almost iPhone in its technology and design.

The height and narrowness (lacking the correct word) of the i360 the design of the pod everything is totally different.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That's like comparing the Amex to The new den.

Rhyl is 240 ft and ugly and i360 is 450 and almost iPhone in its technology and design.

The height and narrowness (lacking the correct word) of the i360 the design of the pod everything is totally different.

I thought it was about 531ft? (162m...)

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Thanks to driver8 , I have learned that similar towers have been been built, and failed , at resorts up North.. I.e. Rhyll & Morecombe. After a few years "safety concerns" seem to happen .

If I still lived that way I would feel overlooked..a danger to my privacy. It is interesting to see it, if you are a visitor. For the sake of Current Brightonians I hope I am wrong about it

You cannot simply compare one to the other. Rhyl has a population of 25,000 and I doubt over 8million visitors a year (not saying anything on the place I've never been).

But it's hardly Brighton, it's tower is nothing like the i360.

By your logic the London eye should be a failure as there's other similar projects around that arnt successful.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

Interesting point: I'm glad I don't live in either the C or D flats in Sussex Heights - anyone with a telephoto lens will get a prime view inside those flats from the new Brighton hydrocracker.

And - one big storm in about 10 years time and we'll see how that tower does. I reckon non-Brightonians have a habit of underestimating the power of the sea and storms.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here