Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton i360 construction update.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Eyesore 360. A complete waste of everyone's money. I forecast it will be a white elephant.

I actually don't have a problem with the concept - what I have a problem with is the local taxpayer being lumped a huge risk. If private investors couldn't see any investment opportunity then why should the local taxpayer take the risk ? The council has inflated its projected visitor numbers and Kitcat / Theobald did a dirty under the table deal. *** and this post will now be down thumbed by TLO with no reply because he's a Green sycophant unable to put up a decent argument in favour of the local taxpayer taking all the risk ***

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I predict it will be massively successful - summer tourists & foreign students will love it. Guaranteed queues every summer, less popular in the winter.

It's a great design too, futuristic and unique architecture. Will become a well loved landmark for decades to come.

The breakeven point has been suggested at 400k people a year. Assuming the rise is open every day of the year for 12 hours a day that is 91 riders every hour for 25 years. Given rise will be nearly £20 each - do you really think that will be a success ?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I predict it will be massively successful - summer tourists & foreign students will love it. Guaranteed queues every summer, less popular in the winter.

It's a great design too, futuristic and unique architecture. Will become a well loved landmark for decades to come.

You have your opinion and I have mine. I think I'll be correct though. As for foreign students loving it ... I don't think so ... a) can they afford it? and b) what's the point? You'll be able to nothing from the top that you can't see from Woodingdean or Race Hill.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Oh, and another thing .... the construction operation has completely f****d up that section of the seafront for months ... and right through the summer peak season as well.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The breakeven point has been suggested at 400k people a year. Assuming the rise is open every day of the year for 12 hours a day that is 91 riders every hour for 25 years. Given rise will be nearly £20 each - do you really think that will be a success ?

And a single 1,000 conference @ £50 a head means 27 days without a ride required....oh and where is the bar that still charges you 1990 prices?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

That's one measure of success (with slightly dubious numbers). What about indirect and less tangible benefits?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I just can't see the point. You get mugged for £50, see the city, the sea and the Downs. .

Sounds like a day out at the AMEX

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You have your opinion and I have mine. I think I'll be correct though. As for foreign students loving it ... I don't think so ... a) can they afford it? and b) what's the point? You'll be able to nothing from the top that you can't see from Woodingdean or Race Hill.

Can foreign students afford it? They're generally quite well heeled.

I really cannot believe there are so many miserable and tight ****ers on this board who cannot understand why someone might want to spend a few quid having a bit of fun on the seafront with some friends.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I just can't see the point. You get mugged for £20, go up, see the city, the sea and the Downs. All of which can be seen from the Downs themselves. For free.

Not for me.

Indeed, that's what I thought. So, you can see "sea" for 180 degrees, and not much more of interest inland. Don't mind if it's a success, but just can't see it myself.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Can foreign students afford it? They're generally quite well heeled.

I really cannot believe there are so many miserable and tight ****ers on this board who cannot understand why someone might want to spend a few quid having a bit of fun on the seafront with some friends.

I can fully understand why someone might want to spend a few quid having a bit of fun on the seafront with some friends. I just do not for one minute believe that going up the Eyesore 360 will be "fun".

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Looking forward to it being completed. That part of the seafront needs something there in particular to regenerate preston Street which has gone to pot since I moved here nearly 20years ago.

It's for tourists, not locals. I think it's the sort of thing that will end up on the to do list of many who visit the UK's busiest seaside resort. The loan is not out of existing council funds, but from a separate government scheme designed to help fund revenue generating projects. If there were no i-360 there would be no extra money for council services or projects, there would just be no i-360.

FWIW I wish they could have restored the old West Pier to it's former glory with a ballroom and restaurant. IIRC that opportunity was blown when the West Pier trust got too arsey about some of the enabling developments that would have helped raise money to supplement the Heritage Fund money that was on the table (I stand to be corrected on this but this is how I remember it anyway).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here