Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton FINALLY back from holiday

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Shirley he could have had another 7 weeks.

Gotta wonder why he came back so soon.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I hope that he has had a great holiday and come back revitalized ready for the challenges ahead. This is the 21st century he will have seem videos etc of players he is interested in and made phone calls. He certainly wont have gone to the land of nowhere and lost all communication with the outside world.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Must've been frustrating for you sitting in the training complex, watching the recruitment team working their backsides off, scouting amazing players, making offers and brokering deals only for the whole thing to fall apart because the boss isn't there.

I assume you are watching them every day, right? If not, you seem rather angry if you have NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
All the League chairmen were in Portugal for a conference last week, so who is working? Anyone?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
You mean someone let him out of the basement? Rookie mistake!

Seriously though, how much does he actually need to be at the ground for the early part of a transfer when there are so many ways for him to stay in touch/talk to prospective new players whilst he's away?

If a signing was imminent then I'm guessing he'd make a point to meet them but (not claiming to be an expert here) surely that comes after all the fees/wages/agent stuff?

I understand what you are saying, and to a large degree think it is true. There can be instances though where a manager's involvement in the process is pivotal though, It was Gus Poyet's meetings with CMS that persuaded him to join the club.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Welcome back, Chris. I hope it was nice and warm. The wet sprinkles in the air are not the errant weather- they are drying bed sheets.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Blimey. I knew we had some dramatic types in our fan base but this is a whole other level.

Precisely. I don't spray thumbs down around like confetti, but in this case I made an exception.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I understand what you are saying, and to a large degree think it is true. There can be instances though where a manager's involvement in the process is pivotal though, It was Gus Poyet's meetings with CMS that persuaded him to join the club.

More's the pity, shame Gus didn't take a month off himself then eh?

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Blimey. I knew we had some dramatic types in our fan base but this is a whole other level.

Well, it's unanimously agreed by everyone that we need to do our transfer business early. Hughton being off for a month means we've done none. It's hardly surprisingly after the last two collosal **** ups of transfer windows that I'd be nervous about this one. Surprised so many are relaxed about it, after all that's exactly how the last one started, and even then we'd signed Toko.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Well, it's unanimously agreed by everyone that we need to do our transfer business early. Hughton being off for a month means we've done none. It's hardly surprisingly after the last two collosal **** ups of transfer windows that I'd be nervous about this one. Surprised so many are relaxed about it, after all that's exactly how the last one started, and even then we'd signed Toko.

Can you say categorically that CH hasnt made any moves towards signing any players or made any contact with agents? No of course you cant, so lets just wait and see what happens. in the near future.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Can you say categorically that CH hasnt made any moves towards signing any players or made any contact with agents? No of course you cant, so lets just wait and see what happens. in the near future.

Can you say categorically that any of the utter dog shit you've copied from football rumours has ever happened? No, but you still speculate anyway.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Hoorah!

Now, I'm all for people being entitled to annual leave, but when Chris Hughton took on the job he knew full well we weren't going to be in the play-offs. So why the blinking hell did he only finish his holiday until the end of last week? The season finished over a MONTH ago, why on earth does a bloke who only joined in January need a whole month off?

Well, it's just great isn't it. What's the first thing he's done since coming back from his hols? Slap a statement out there about the importance of FFP. Well that will lift the morale around the place. Don't our club ever learn?

Liverpool, albeit a bigger club than we'll ever be, have had an absolute embarrassment of a season. Yet their season finished only a couple of weeks ago and they've already got two key signings in on a free, presumably after weeks, probably months of negotiation. Derby, almost certain to be favourites for the league, have already recruited a new manager and already made a couple of signings. That was our excuse for being late in the market last year! What have we been doing? Well, Hughton sunning himself on a beach seemingly and not showing the Iranian the stadium or training ground.

Van Gaal managed Holland in the World Cup last year and straight into the Man U job, binning off a holiday in the process. He knew he had to rebuild and needed as much time to do it as possible. We need a left back, probably 2 wingers and 2 forwards as a MINIMUM and we're now fighting the clock yet again. We need the core of the team done for the opening game, not the end of August, as proved last season with Fenelon playing the opening game where we dropped points at home to Sheffield bloody Wednesday, good grief.

Derby, Birmingham, Wolves, MK Dons, Brentford, Preston and Forest all in amongst the deals already. How many of these are we likely to be competing with these for the play-offs, if that even is our aim? A majority no doubt. But no, here we are, listening to tiresome stories in the Argus about a Finish keeper we don't even need and a winger who will no doubt join a club with a bit more ambition.

If we're pinning our hopes on O'Grady (who doesn't want to be here) and Colunga (who Hughton already turned down) then we're basically fcked already. I really, really hope we're being super busy in the transfer market behind the scenes but I just can't see it.

Where's the odds on us to go down? Hope to be proved wrong but if the next few weeks are anything like the 5 weeks since the season ended then I fear we're in for another dire season and more cancelled season tickets at the end of the year.

Save your comments about bedwetting for when we actually announce a decent signing - I hope it's in the Argus tomorrow but just can't see it.

The club have asked me to post this official response to your post on their behalf:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bY11Rth4oao

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

There were a couple of other factors at play last season, and the season before for that matter, that complicated matters somewhat:

1) We were searching for a new manager in each of the previous two windows.
2) When the managers arrived one of them wasn't exactly familiar with the English leagues/players etc. (OG) and the other, well, the other was just bafflingly inept at most aspects of being a manager.
3) We had what is generally believed to be an inadequate scouting team/method.

Whereas this window:

1) We've had our manager since January, a respected manager with swathes of experience in this league and the PL and who has, presumably, already spent the last six months identifying weaknesses and then identifying targets to shore up those weaknesses.
2) We've got a revamped scouting team as well who have, again presumably, been working with our already settled in manager to work on getting those targets.

I am not worried about this window. These are the calmest seas our little ship has sailed in two seasons. Relax :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here