Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Animal rights activists force Rockinghorse to cancel childrens charity event. shameful

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
My greyhound Blossom loved to race, she'd have ran through a brick wall to get to the lure she loved it that much. Every **** ive come across who is anti-greyhound racing knows sweet FA about the breed. They just regurgitate some crap some other moron who knows nothing about them has told them.

Having worked at Hove Dogs for 7 years, owned 3 rescue dogs and feel I know quite a lot about the breed, I am anti greyhound racing but not anti greyhound, my current fella was well happy chasing rabbits this morning and will never see a race track again. He was actually lucky to be taken to be put down, so a rescue charity were able to whisk him out of the vets and get him re homed. Yes they love to play and race around, but it does not need to happen in the name of gambling. I am sure some humans like to shoot Lions and some dogs like to fight, but we should not allow it to happen just because its what they want to do.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Having worked at Hove Dogs for 7 years, owned 3 rescue dogs and feel I know quite a lot about the breed, I am anti greyhound racing but not anti greyhound, my current fella was well happy chasing rabbits this morning and will never see a race track again. He was actually lucky to be taken to be put down, so a rescue charity were able to whisk him out of the vets and get him re homed. Yes they love to play and race around, but it does not need to happen in the name of gambling. I am sure some humans like to shoot Lions and some dogs like to fight, but we should not allow it to happen just because its what they want to do.
S what is your objection to greyhound racing , the fact its gambling ?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Having worked at Hove Dogs for 7 years, owned 3 rescue dogs and feel I know quite a lot about the breed, I am anti greyhound racing but not anti greyhound, my current fella was well happy chasing rabbits this morning and will never see a race track again. He was actually lucky to be taken to be put down, so a rescue charity were able to whisk him out of the vets and get him re homed. Yes they love to play and race around, but it does not need to happen in the name of gambling. I am sure some humans like to shoot Lions and some dogs like to fight, but we should not allow it to happen just because its what they

User removed.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
If ever 'Pot' and 'Kettle' needed to appear in a sentence......
if ever ''grow up and stop calling yourself mikey , youre a grown man you utter, utter bellend'' needed to appear in a sentence ......

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
This- it's plain old Social engineering my friend. Your values and beliefs are based on what you see, share and taught in your life. People in China probably think it disgusting that the western world eats pigs?

If you grow up eating dogs then you eat dogs. It's not a wrong or right thing! Just cultural.

Ever seen a dog "farm"? I have. If you have even a whisper of a soul you'd change your opinion after that. No living thing should have to suffer the way those dogs do. In their thousands. It really is horrendous.
Caged up with 20-30 other dogs.
Living in their own excrement.
Beaten.
Cannibalising each other
Having their teeth pulled with no anaesthetic
Moved around by kicking and nooses
Hair burned off with blowtorches. While alive. Then dipped in boiling water to loosen the flesh. While alive. Then skinned. May sometimes be alive during this.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

I didn't back my dog in any of her 63 starts. A lot of people I knew who also had them never bet on them. Most of those people's attitudes was if they pay for their training fees every month then they are happy.

It's not different to people who show dogs, it's a bit of fun and if they do well they can win a bit of a prize.

As for the bolded bit you contradict yourself by saying previously that he was happy chasing rabbits that morning.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I didn't back my dog in any of her 63 starts. A lot of people I knew who also had them never bet on them. Most of those people's attitudes was if they pay for their training fees every month then they are happy.

It's not different to people who show dogs, it's a bit of fun and if they do well they can win a bit of a prize.

As for the bolded bit you contradict yourself by saying previously that he was happy chasing rabbits that morning.

Why is that a contradiction, he is happy as a pet, playing and being a dog chasing rabbits around the hill fort, and he was very unhappy and badly treated as a so called working dog who was taken to be put down as a no use to anyone animal!

Just watch the Panorama programme, thats a main stream programme, not produced by any of the so called fanatics or anti brigade people who are being banded about on this thread, we have had these conversations before so we disagree on this issue, I just wanted to challenge your quote from earlier that people who are opposed to greyhound racing have no idea of greyhounds or the industry. I can assure you again that I do on both counts and that I now see the industry for what it is and that greyhounds are just great dogs and pets and do not need to race to enjoy life, in fact they can have much better life without it.

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
Ever seen a dog "farm"? I have. If you have even a whisper of a soul you'd change your opinion after that. No living thing should have to suffer the way those dogs do. In their thousands. It really is horrendous.
Beaten.
Cannibalising each other
Hair burned off with blowtorches. While alive. Then dipped in boiling water to loosen the flesh. While alive. Then skinned. May sometimes be alive during this.

I was not aware that this is how the dogs were treated in China. Obviously this is very distressing to hear and not something any humane person would approve of.

The point I trying to make was more to highlight the actual eating of different animals being a cultural difference, not the treatment of the animal in its life before.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The point here isn't whether racing is cruel to dogs... The point is because of this groups' actions a charity event to raise money for a bit of equipment that could save a child's life has been cancelled. Very sad... There's better ways to make peaceful protests or point out opinions then getting a charity event cancelled altogether...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The basic thing about eating dog is that it is a scavenger and a meat eater itself. It is not good to eat animals that consume other mammals, they carry a lot of bacteria and parasites in their own meat. The scavenging aspect is fairly obvious. Food from bins, their own and other animals faeces. Not very healthy to eat these animals.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Why is that a contradiction, he is happy as a pet, playing and being a dog chasing rabbits around the hill fort, and he was very unhappy and badly treated as a so called working dog who was taken to be put down as a no use to anyone animal!

Just watch the Panorama programme, thats a main stream programme, not produced by any of the so called fanatics or anti brigade people who are being banded about on this thread, we have had these conversations before so we disagree on this issue, I just wanted to challenge your quote from earlier that people who are opposed to greyhound racing have no idea of greyhounds or the industry. I can assure you again that I do on both counts and that I now see the industry for what it is and that greyhounds are just great dogs and pets and do not need to race to enjoy life, in fact they can have much better life without it.

A greyhound is just as likely to do a serious injury chasing after rabbits in fields as it is on a track. In fact the chances of breaking limbs or worse are far higher when letting them run over uneven ground in fields and parks and that's not even taking into consideration the vast majoirty of them have woeful recall and could end up getitng lost or hit easily enough.

You're going on about their health and safety when you're putting your own dog at risk by letting it belt around off leash. That's the contradiction.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
A greyhound is just as likely to do a serious injury chasing after rabbits in fields as it is on a track. In fact the chances of breaking limbs or worse are far higher when letting them run over uneven ground in fields and parks and that's not even taking into consideration the vast majoirty of them have woeful recall and could end up getitng lost or hit easily enough.

You're going on about their health and safety when you're putting your own dog at risk by letting it belt around off leash. That's the contradiction.

Give it a break, you have no idea what cautions and precautions I take over my Greyhounds when walking them, I can assure you I have dealt with them them for years and never had any issues (bar the common corns they get), you are clutching at straws if you think if in any way they have a better life cooped up in kennels all day and run around a track twice a week for the betting industry. My last one had a cheap metal plate put in his back leg to enable him to keep running on flapping tracks, it was the death of him a like many others he got tumour/cancer in it, another common problem where it has never been breed out as speed is what the breeders want, if you want to comment on anything - what do you think about the issues highlighted by the Panorama programme.

I know lots of people that have Greyhounds to race and then keep them as pets and love them dearly but an awful lot of Greyhounds never make it to that stage or have this attention in their life's or get beyond being just a working animal that is destroyed once its completed its racing time up to five.

We probably both love the Albion and Greyhounds but have a big difference of opinion on the racing industry and our first hand experiences of them.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Beaten.
Cannibalising each other
Vile treatment:(

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Give it a break, you have no idea what cautions and precautions I take over my Greyhounds when walking them, I can assure you I have dealt with them them for years and never had any issues (bar the common corns they get), you are clutching at straws if you think if in any way they have a better life cooped up in kennels all day and run around a track twice a week for the betting industry. My last one had a cheap metal plate put in his back leg to enable him to keep running on flapping tracks, it was the death of him a like many others he got tumour/cancer in it, another common problem where it has never been breed out as speed is what the breeders want, if you want to comment on anything - what do you think about the issues highlighted by the Panorama programme.

I know lots of people that have Greyhounds to race and then keep them as pets and love them dearly but an awful lot of Greyhounds never make it to that stage or have this attention in their life's or get beyond being just a working animal that is destroyed once its completed its racing time up to five.

We probably both love the Albion and Greyhounds but have a big difference of opinion on the racing industry and our first hand experiences of them.

The people who race them don't race them for "the betting industry".

At no stage when I was racing dogs did I think hey, better make sure my dogs are at the track this week to ensure I'm looking after the betting industry.

The only reason you have pet greyhound is because of the industry, something these people who are anti-racing never like to admit.

Fact is the showrings are more indicative of a breeds popularity in the wider community in regards to pets. An Ex of mine showed dogs and it was there I became very aware that there are hardly any "show" bred greyhounds kicking about compared to other breeds.

Meaning without the racing side of Greyhounds the Greyhound itself would not be a dog bred to be a pet except for a few small devoted breeders.

I'm aware there are shit elements in the sport, but there are shit elements in every aspect of life. Just because there are shit elements in the sport it doesn't mean it should be banned all together to appease a few wowsers who don't like it. That penalises the people who do look after their dogs and look after them damn well.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The people who race them don't race them for "the betting industry".

At no stage when I was racing dogs did I think hey, better make sure my dogs are at the track this week to ensure I'm looking after the betting industry.

The only reason you have pet greyhound is because of the industry, something these people who are anti-racing never like to admit.

Fact is the showrings are more indicative of a breeds popularity in the wider community in regards to pets. An Ex of mine showed dogs and it was there I became very aware that there are hardly any "show" bred greyhounds kicking about compared to other breeds.

Meaning without the racing side of Greyhounds the Greyhound itself would not be a dog bred to be a pet except for a few small devoted breeders.

I'm aware there are shit elements in the sport, but there are shit elements in every aspect of life. Just because there are shit elements in the sport it doesn't mean it should be banned all together to appease a few wowsers who don't like it. That penalises the people who do look after their dogs and look after them damn well.

Why did a greyhound win best in show in 1928 and 1956 at Crufts? Not a bad record for a non show dog.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here