Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The day that Britain resigned as a global power

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Our role as a global power ended after WW2, don't know why anyone should think it is has suddenly occurred in 2015.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Selling off Britain's assets and creating an economic underclass is SUCH great thinking from this government.

It's going to be even more spectacular once Dave's billionaires mates jump ship.

This government is destroying this country - I pray to God that the damage they are doing is reversible, I love this country, I don't want to have to leave.

Change the fvcking record mate. Yet another oh this democratically elected government that I hate and didn't vote for is going to ruin everything comment! What a ridiculous thing to say about leaving!
Comments like that always come back and bite you on the arse.........I believe Paul O'Grady made a similar comment and yet is still residing on these shores. (Awaits jokes about biting on the arse re that particular issue).
But I believe this awful government will still allow you to leave if you don't like it, so crack on mate!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Our role as a global power ended after WW2, don't know why anyone should think it is has suddenly occurred in 2015.

Coz the OP is still bitter about the election results and wants to blame the Tories for it.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
it probably goes back to letting the Russians get to Berlin first
If we had gotten to Berlin in strength first, they just would have thrown us out.
Either starting WWIII on the spot (worst case) or starting the Cold War 4 years early (best case).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
As David Cameron arrives in Riga, a columnist for the Washington Post writes about the inward turn of the UK

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...tain-resigned-as-a-global-power-10269098.html

That's a bit of a nothing article. Resigning as a global power? How melodramatic. Most a Western nations are spending less on defence, it's no surprise given that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are coming to an end and localised forces will be fighting Isis and the Taliban from now on.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Selling off Britain's assets and creating an economic underclass is SUCH great thinking from this government.

It's going to be even more spectacular once Dave's billionaires mates jump ship.

This government is destroying this country - I pray to God that the damage they are doing is reversible, I love this country, I don't want to have to leave.

A tear to my eye. By the way, the government have only been in power a few weeks. And besides, democratically elected. It will be what it will be M, enjoy being misearble whilst being on the ride. At least HT jumped off

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
A tear to my eye. By the way, the government have only been in power a few weeks. And besides, democratically elected. It will be what it will be M, enjoy being misearble whilst being on the ride. At least HT jumped off

Well said mate.
£1 says he's still here throwing his teddy in the corner this time next year!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We have not been a global power for some time, no Empire, no assets left, little manufacturing, dwindling armed forces and equipment, our only chance to strut the big stage is to hang on to the coat tails of the bullying Americans. After the last few years of devolution and Scottish referendums, we are not even a united United Kingdom.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Not been a global power for 70 years but I don't think we'll leave the EU either.
I don't bet on here but I'd love someone to lay my Major Stevens about it :moo:

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Boer, War (1899-1902) united_kingdom.gif

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
HT, during the run up to the election in a strange way admired your courage to stick to what you believed in and not once did you back down from what at times was an onslaught of attack from your detractors, however this thread you've started is utter buffoonery in your part, I think it's now time to give you your own area on the board that you can post your shite on and maybe Earnest and Muffusa can join you in there for what would only be described as the worlds dullest jerk circle!

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
HT, during the run up to the election in a strange way admired your courage to stick to what you believed in and not once did you back down from what at times was an onslaught of attack from your detractors, however this thread you've started is utter buffoonery in your part, I think it's now time to give you your own area on the board that you can post your shite on and maybe Earnest and Muffusa can join you in there for what would only be described as the worlds dullest jerk circle!

This thread isn't really going the way I planned. For the record I have concerns about leaving the EU, the scrapping of human rights and a number of other related international items. I'm about cooperation on a international level and I see the UK, disappointingly, retreating from this. I agree this thread wasn't and still isn't the best way to express these concerns.

I'll end it here.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
This thread isn't really going the way I planned. For the record I have concerns about leaving the EU, the scrapping of human rights and a number of other related international items. I'm about cooperation on a international level and I see the UK, disappointingly, retreating from this. I agree this thread wasn't and still isn't the best way to express these concerns.

I'll end it here.

Fair play , at least you've owned up to be a tw@t quite a few times on here.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
If we had gotten to Berlin in strength first, they just would have thrown us out.
Either starting WWIII on the spot (worst case) or starting the Cold War 4 years early (best case).

A very interesting point.

Only one side had nuclear weapons in 1945 and it wasn't the Russians so World War III would have been rather brief and wouldn't have involved the Western Allies being 'thrown out' of anywhere.

The next 50 plus years of misery imposed on Eastern Europe by Communism would have been avoided as well.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here