Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could this be a good close season to sign players?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Like wines do you think that some years are better then others for buying the players we need?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Who knows? I did point out on another thread, there are lot of clubs without managers at the moment,which may help us.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
it may be a good season for a switched on management to be hitting players up and getting in early for the few higher standard ones , it is always a shyte season to wait around and see what you can sweep up when everyone else has been through ....seeing as CH had over 6 months out of work i would be expecting him to be putting in some serious recruitment activity on the off season......think well know by the first game of the new season what to expect ....!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think most teams that do well tend to do business early in the window, those that panic and buy and borrow two weeks into the season tend to struggle.

I don't think it varies at all year on year.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Could this be a good close season to sign players?

Well, it COULD be. In a couple of months we'll have an idea as to whether our post-Burke recruitment team is up to the job or not, and we'll know for sure either way by about Christmas.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I was thinking this yesterday.

This summer Prem clubs have more money to spend because of the new TV deal. This should mean the quality of Prem player will rise, so that some who might otherwise had got a Prem club may now have to ply their trade elsewhere. I expect that for many players - particularly those pushing / over 30 years old - they may end up in the Championship.

I wouldn't be surprised if Championship 2015/16 brought with it a whole host of names. Whereas the division has been fairly even over the past few seasons I'm expecting it to separate out so that those receiving parachute money will start to dominate.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Like wines do you think that some years are better then others for buying the players we need?

It's a good question to ask.
This year is better than the previous two as we're not enduring managerial change and recruitment. But there are other factors to differentiate this close season from recent ones. Most obvious here seems to be the vastly inflated PL TV deal, and the relaxation of FFP.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Yes I believe this year is a better year for us to be buying players but that's mainly due to our own situation than any outside factors
i.e. No Burke & we have a manager who has been able to asses the team in a matchday scenario rather than just what he gets told by the club when he arrives.
This gives Hughton the chance to form a good idea who & what areas he needs players for & one would hope He is the driving force behind the Recruitment process not some office bod.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Most obvious here seems to be the vastly inflated PL TV deal, and the relaxation of FFP.

This summer Prem clubs have more money to spend because of the new TV deal. This should mean the quality of Prem player will rise, so that some who might otherwise had got a Prem club may now have to ply their trade elsewhere. I expect that for many players - particularly those pushing / over 30 years old - they may end up in the Championship.

The new TV deal doesn't come in to force until the following season, they will still be on the pittance from Sky for another season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was thinking this yesterday.

I wouldn't be surprised if Championship 2015/16 brought with it a whole host of names. Whereas the division has been fairly even over the past few seasons I'm expecting it to separate out so that those receiving parachute money will start to dominate.
Blimey, I don't mean to just lock horns with you Pav, but I'm going to have to question that statement.

Why would the quality of Premier League players rise, in accordance with the money available.
It hasn't noticeably happened any year since 1992.

The only thing that has changed is the phenomenal wages being paid to the 'almost' world's best players, and the equally amazing 'basic' wage being paid to the foot soldiers.

If anything the older players will be less interested in dropping down the ladder because they can afford to retire.

Finishing 4/5/6th from bottom of the Premier League is the same as winning the lottery for all the players in a similar boat to the likes of Bridcutt and Buckley.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Blimey, I don't mean to just lock horns with you Pav, but I'm going to have to question that statement.

Why would the quality of Premier League players rise, in accordance with the money available.
It hasn't noticeably happened any year since 1992.

The only thing that has changed is the phenomenal wages being paid to the 'almost' world's best players, and the equally amazing 'basic' wage being paid to the foot soldiers.

If anything the older players will be less interested in dropping down the ladder because they can afford to retire.

Finishing 4/5/6th from bottom of the Premier League is the same as winning the lottery for all the players in a similar boat to the likes of Bridcutt and Buckley.

This Prem TV deal is a game-changer. It stands to reason that if the English TV deal has improved disproportionately more than other TV deals around the world then Prem clubs will be better placed to pay higher wages to foreign stars. The likes of Inter and AC Milan have already been blown out of the water, now clubs like Dortmund and Juventus won't be able to compete on the wages front and even Bayern might be struggling vs. the Prem Champions League elite.

Why would Prem clubs keep buying the Danny Grahams, Bridcutts, Buckley of this world when they now have the money to bring in proven quality from the top foreign leagues?

As for older players being less interested in dropping down the ladder I don't buy that. Players are fitter than they used to be and are able to play on for longer, you're also a long time retired. I don't see Zamora announcing his retirement, or Richard Dunne, Rio Ferdinand, Steve Harper, Michael Duff, Darryl Flahavan, Ian Harte, yet they've all been released by their clubs. They're all 34 plus.

And I'd expect to see the TV money start to play a part as clubs will be able to borrow now with the TV money and parachute payments as collateral.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
flat550x550075f.jpg

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I would wait until end of July before starting signings & then do most of the bizness with loans after the season has started.

A proven formula

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
we have had predictions of parachute money being dominant in the championship
before I do not expect it to be any more true in the future.
It is very different at the very top level.The Oligarch clubs of European football
will continue to dominate hoovering up all the top talent.
The top teams of the premiership will still have to compete with the Real Madrids,
Barca's ,Bayerns, etc.Probably the top 4 of this year in the prem will continue to
dominate.
But there are only room for so many players in the squads of the premiership.
They will certainly have their pick of them before the championship.But if the
financial advantages of parachute money have not been a dominating factor in recent years
I cannot see it changing much in the next few years.
The championship will remain a much more level playing field .
A well organised team with a bit of luck in the transfer market will be able to compete.
We can give ourselves an advantage by developing our own talent .Love to see
the fans getting behind our academy prospects when they make it to the first team.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here