Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul McShane- Could do a job?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We've released Hughes.
Begging the question:-

How much did Hughes cost the club (Tony) last season?

McShane could easily be exactly the same, esp with the club having more youngsters like Rae in need of first team football..

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Whoever it was posted the goal from the Glorious 79th minute on Paddys Day, thank you, brings a massive chill to the spine every single time. Glory days.....

Wedgee

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I don't get why people keep jumping on this former player thing? It's only natural to speak about out of contract former players who did well for us on our message board no? McShane is a free agent... I'm sure we're looking at hundreds of players but former ones also know a lot about the club and area etc so it can work in or favour...

Nobody can say Zamora, Bennett and McShane were anything but excellent for us so no harm in discussing their return... Oh sorry I didn't go along with the hilarious jokes of the last few days... Erm.... What's Gifton Noel-Williams up to?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I would absolutely like to see him back at the albion. good player

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Begging the question:-

How much did Hughes cost the club (Tony) last season?

McShane could easily be exactly the same, esp with the club having more youngsters like Rae in need of first team football..

I'd say there's quite a difference between McShane and Hughes, with the former being 6 years younger he's still got a lot of football left to play, someone like that is worth wages, also just because Rea needs first team football we shouldn't just shoe-horn him in for the sake of it, if he's good enough then happy days, if not send him out on loan.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Whoever it was posted the goal from the Glorious 79th minute on Paddys Day, thank you, brings a massive chill to the spine every single time. Glory days.....

Wedgee

It was in October. We have managed to beat Palace twice in the last 10 years.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd say there's quite a difference between McShane and Hughes, with the former being 6 years younger he's still got a lot of football left to play, someone like that is worth wages, also just because Rea needs first team football we shouldn't just shoe-horn him in for the sake of it, if he's good enough then happy days, if not send him out on loan.
Yeah I get the fact we need experience at the back.
But we are also talking about one of the best defences in the league, last season.

One of those differences between McShane and Hughes will be money.
Even though Hughes wasn't on chicken feed I'm sure McShane will be commanding considerably more again.

All that money will have to come from somewhere, and that'll have to be the striker fund.
I just don't see the advantage of spending where it's not obviously needed, unless of course some 'surprise' Dunk money appears.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Yeah I get the fact we need experience at the back.
But we are also talking about one of the best defences in the league, last season.

Even though Hughes wasn't on chicken feed I'm sure McShane will be commanding considerably more again.

All that money will have to come from somewhere, and that'll have to be the striker fund.
I just don't see the advantage of spending where it's not obviously needed, unless of course some 'surprise' Dunk money appears.

I disagree. We had one of the better defensive records in the division because of how we set up under Hughton. 2 holding midfielders to try and prevent the opposition scoring. Our centre backs still made a number of costly errors that were less frequent in previous seasons. McShane or otherwise I would say an experienced centre back is one of our top priorities.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I disagree. We had one of the better defensive records in the division because of how we set up under Hughton. 2 holding midfielders to try and prevent the opposition scoring. Our centre backs still made a number of costly errors that were less frequent in previous seasons. McShane or otherwise I would say an experienced centre back is one of our top priorities.

Have to agree the good defensive record was down to the whole team defending not just the back 5 with improvements at the back who know we may push more than 1 payer into the oppositions half.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014

Not just a replacement for Hughes though, Halford's also gone, so that's two options at centre back down. Rea will step up to fill one of the gaps so should be a bit of a saving on wages there.

If McShane does get snapped up by another club/deal isn't feasable, wouldn't mind Alex Pearce from Reading. Contracts expiring and no new deal in place yet. Can play at Right back as well as at centre, 6ft 1, good in the air and is Readings vice captain, so could bring some extra leadership quality to the back four or alternatively Matt Mills from Bolton, he was supposed to sign for Forest, but apparently that has now hit a snag.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Our defense was pretty tight last year.Assuming we do not sell Dunk,and Rae etc progress,i can only see someone like Halford coming in.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
For god's sake - look forwards not bloody backwards - NO!!

The fact that a player has played for us before should have no bearing whatsoever on whether we sign him or not. It's irrelevant. The only things that matter are:

1. Is he good enough?
2. Can we afford him?
3. Does he want to join BHA?

As fans we can only have an opinion on No. 1 - and I would say that, judging by last season, the likes of McShane and Zamora are good enough.

As for wages, who knows? What they have been earning is one thing but what they can now command is another. In Zamora's case he will get the highest offer a club is prepared to make and that surely won't be anything like he's been used to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here