Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Watching brief can we trust Bloom and the board

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Norwich probably had the best squad in the Championship thanks to the fact that they retained most of their good players when they were relegated. They're returning to the Premier league thanks to, not because of, the new manager. They had a great start to the season but were sliding rapidly down the division until Alex Neil arrived.

The right manager is the more critical part of the equation; Bournemouth achieved promotion with a great manager and a run-of-the-mill squad, Norwich are promoted with a great manager who turned a very good squad around.

Exactly, they, Norwich, retained their best players. Can you think of a club that didn't?

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
It's not a case of "Trusting Bloom" for me! I just won't be spending any money at his establishment until he sorts out a number of issues... He knows what they are I'm sure!

Regardless of that :albion2:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Norwich probably had the best squad in the Championship thanks to the fact that they retained most of their good players when they were relegated. They're returning to the Premier league thanks to, not because of, the new manager. They had a great start to the season but were sliding rapidly down the division until Alex Neil arrived.

The right manager is the more critical part of the equation; Bournemouth achieved promotion with a great manager and a run-of-the-mill squad, Norwich are promoted with a great manager who turned a very good squad around.

And why could they retain their best players? Because they were on premiership contracts having just got relegated and, with parachute payments, could afford to keep them. We couldn't because the good players we lost all went on to better things, both in league being played in and, in almost certain probability, wages.

As for managers, over the last 15 seasons, we've done pretty well. Adam, Taylor, Coppell, McGhee, Poyet, Garcia and even Wilkins. Slade might have made the list had he had a chance but he did keep us up. A few duds, aka Hinshelwood and Hyypia.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Norwich probably had the best squad in the Championship thanks to the fact that they retained most of their good players when they were relegated.

Well not completely.Leroy Fer was off to the profligate and newly promoted QPR for £8m and Snodgrass was Prem League bound to Hull for £7m.
That c£20m Parachute Payament (the same as Albion's wage bill) they had for being relegated won't have hurt either in maintaining a strong squad..

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Exactly, they, Norwich, retained their best players. Can you think of a club that didn't?

You stated "Norwich have invested wisely and also got there even with a relatively new manager"

My reply was making several points:

1. Norwich's investment in their squad was in the Premier League, you can't equate players purchased there with our situation
2. Norwich weren't promoted even though they had a new manager, it was because they had a new manager, they were sliding down the league (even with their great squad) before he arrived.
3. Norwich & Bournemouth's teams had very different backgrounds and pedigree, the common factor was a very capable manager.

You don't have to retain all your best players to be successful (look how many pundits tipped Southampton for relegation after their summer sell-off or Forest for promotion because of their purchases) but you do have to have a good manager.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You stated "Norwich have invested wisely and also got there even with a relatively new manager"

1. Norwich's investment in their squad was in the Premier League, you can't equate players purchased there with our situation
2. Norwich weren't promoted even though they had a new manager, it was because they had a new manager, they were sliding down the league (even with their great squad) before he arrived.
3. Norwich & Bournemouth's teams had very different backgrounds and pedigree, the common factor was a very capable manager.

You don't have to retain all your best players to be successful (look how many pundits tipped Southampton for relegation after their summer sell-off or Forest for promotion because of their purchases) but you do have to have a good manager.

And you do need to have a good recruitment team too...

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton

I don't disagree with what you are saying. I think a combination of what you and I are saying is the right direction.

If you do retain your best players the squad know each other and can stand a better chance in the next season. We released (not that we had much choice in some instances) to many good players without offering them decent incentives to stay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here