Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Watching brief can we trust Bloom and the board

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
That isn't what Megazone said. Money isn't everything, it's how it's spent.

He's arguing that the club is a) isn't successfully run, b) that the money he's invested wasn't well spent, c) that fans shouldn't be "star struck" by how Bloom has transformed the club, d) that Dick Knight's role in the club was comparable, b) that the club needs a new backer/owner with "football brains" who presumably isn't Bloom.

To which i say a) It is, b) it mostly has been apart from Kemy of course, c) they should, d) it wasn't although Dick is a legend, e) god forbid.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If I was as rich as Bloom, or [MENTION=12697]Steve Foster[/MENTION] maybe, I wouldn't buy the club. It seems nothing but total ball-ache.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
He's arguing that the club is a) isn't successfully run, b) that the money he's invested wasn't well spent, c) that fans shouldn't be "star struck" by how Bloom has transformed the club, d) that Dick Knight's role in the club was comparable, b) that the club needs a new backer/owner with "football brains" who presumably isn't Bloom.

To which i say a) It is, b) it mostly has been apart from Kemy of course, c) they should, d) it wasn't although Dick is a legend, e) god forbid.

I didn't read it as critically as you. Tony Bloom has to trust the staff that he employs when he goes to Australia. Burke & Hyypia aren't the only mistakes that have been made. Stephenson was also a mistake, and although we made the playoffs, I'm not sure that Oscar was such a success either, as Bloom said in his interview after he'd gone, citing lack of communication as a big problem. Don't get me wrong, I like Bloom and don't want him replaced, but I feel that he does need some good advisors, who aren't 'yes' men.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
, I'm not sure that Oscar was such a success either, as Bloom said in his interview after he'd gone, citing lack of communication as a big problem. .

A really harsh view. Oscar took the club to its 2nd highest position in the league in 30 years, and the play offs with what most argued was a weaker squad than Gus in 12/13. A success by any yardstick especially given he had no Championship experience. He was a real find by the club.
In the interviews post his resignation, TB said he didn't want him to leave, and that communication was a weakness. I think he was bruised that he'd invested in a good manager who'd he'd upped and left with little notice which explains the negative remarks about Oscar's time at the club. They were probably best left unsaid. But he certainly didn't say he wasn't a success.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

I hope you can twist on the dance floor as well as you do with words. I was stating how Blooms money shouldn't be the be end all of everything to do with our football club and it's future. As Dick Knight proved. We can still be a successful club without big bucks. We are traditionally a bigger club than the last 30 years shows.

We just need to start running the club more efficiently rather than all this Prem ready, VIP shite. It makes us look like a Micky mouse football club.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
A really harsh view. Oscar took the club to its 2nd highest position in the league in 30 years, and the play offs with what most argued was a weaker squad than Gus in 12/13. A success by any yardstick especially given he had no Championship experience. He was a real find by the club.

Don't you think its maybe possible that Oscar just inherited a Poyet side on the decline that was still (just about) good enough to scrape in to the play-offs? Sort of in the same way that Peter Taylor inherited Micky Adams #1 team and more or less did a simple steering job - with a couple of tweaks - to the double Championes title. Oscar and Taylor certainly didn't hang about for long after the season end, if memory serves Taylor scarpered the day after the victory parade. Before they got found out? Not sure either manager brought very much to the table to be honest.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I didn't read it as critically as you. Tony Bloom has to trust the staff that he employs when he goes to Australia. Burke & Hyypia aren't the only mistakes that have been made. Stephenson was also a mistake, and although we made the playoffs, I'm not sure that Oscar was such a success either, as Bloom said in his interview after he'd gone, citing lack of communication as a big problem. Don't get me wrong, I like Bloom and don't want him replaced, but I feel that he does need some good advisors, who aren't 'yes' men.

precisely this
he needs to harden up a bit
if the Albion were not a football business and losing money like it is then people would be sacked and have been, if he had been advised to sell Barnes and buy Baldock, then who is giving him this advice, is no one letting him know that keeping Sami for as long as we did was ruining the club (and if Sami had not resigned we would still have him here)
great chairman
thanks for making the club what it is
now bang a few heads together and get on with making the playing staff great, you can still make the five year plan work.
I really do not want to hear another of our managers saying "it's due to bad recruitment" other posters are right it's not about money it's about using it wisely and allowing the manager to manage.
he is in charge and the buck stops there

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
As always, we'd carry on as football club. I don't think it would lead to a crisis.

What do you think will happen?

there would be lots on here having a mental breakdown..........................DK would ride to the recue for a while anyway

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
As always, we'd carry on as football club. I don't think it would lead to a crisis.

What do you think will happen without Bloom?

If he left and took out his existing investment and ongoing funding of losses It would be an absolute disaster.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You're making it out as if we are completely under the thumb of Tony Bloom. Is that a good sign?

Not particularly, it's a risk. If something happens to TB then there would be severe consequences for the club.

However, he's relatively young (45), in good health (he's just run the Brighton Marathon) and totally committed to the Albion.

At present there are no alternatives, but the level of investment shown by TB has far surpassed expectations. So lets just enjoy the ride.

Hopefully our board are watching this afternoons game,two clubs with REAL ambition playing for the biggest prize in football,but I doubt it,probably sat round a table coming up with new sound bites,PLR,one club one ambition,be bold,together in 2015-2016 etc,
****ing shower of shite.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
there would be lots on here having a mental breakdown..........................DK would ride to the recue for a while anyway
Christ he'd get us that horrible tacky crest badge back and then get us in debt by another 100 million...He already left us a debt of around 10 million when he was brushed aside.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Christ he'd get us that horrible tacky crest badge back and then get us in debt by another 100 million...He already left us a debt of around 10 million when he was brushed aside.

he was around to save us when we needed him though
not to be forgotten

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here